Questions in regards to a Facebook account?

-

hemi71x

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Firstly, i don't do Facebook, and lately more and more people, friends and others, that i have done business with, have asked me if i sell my brake, and suspension parts on Facebook marketplace.
I clicked on their page, thinking i might set myself up with an account, on that site.
Got to the point on the page that they are asking me for my birth date.
Why do they want to know my birthday?
What use is that information to them?
For you guys that do Facebook, did you give them your real birth day, or did you give them a fictitious one?
Just asking here, to which way that i want to go, with that site.
Thank's a lot.
Jim V.
hemi71x

I don't do Facebook either, my wife does, but I would assume that the reason they want to know your D.O.B. is to target specific ad content. I think there are some privacy settings that you can select, but not sure. Sorry, that's not much help.

I didn't do FB till I got back in roundy-round, and all the clubs have a page for easy communication for events etc.
I haven't found a reason to dislike it, and found a lotta good stuff, entertainment, parts, Mopar sites, and many old forgotten friends have been in touch, including distant relatives overseas.
It been a plus, plus for me .
I'm too old to care about all the other chit .

Birthdate is because you had to be 14 years old to have an account. If you want your friends to wish you a happy birthday use your day and month... lie about the year by a decade or more.

There's nothing clandestine about it.....I thought about that too, Jim. It's totally 100% for social interaction, birthday wishes and such and as dadsbee said, to make sure you're old enough.

They need to know your birthday to see if the facial recognition software the CCP has installed on Fakebook isn't malfunctioning

I signed up for a FB account when it was pretty new because I knew a gambler/tech guy who I trusted that told me I could get Vegas comps by having an account, and it worked. I didn't use my name or my correct birth date, made up a generic name, etc. and have been using it for many years. It has been useful more than I expected, but the way I set it up, no one looking for me by name can find me, and sometimes old high school friends and the like are perplexed.

They need to know your birthday to see if the facial recognition software the CCP has installed on Fakebook isn't malfunctioning
In my case i won't worry about that, if i set myself up with an account.
My old desktop, and laptop computers that i still use, don't have any camera feature capabilities to them, that i know about.
For all i know, that can be true with all the modern software that's out there, in this day and age.

Same for me. Buddy that sells a bunch of parts says I should join. It's sad when you know someone for 20 years and you're thinking I need to call old "Joe" then you see his wife and hear he died. Apparently, everyone on FB all ready knew. Not sure but, I might join.

I’ve had my real
Name and birthdate for years with zero issues. I have friends on there that I’ve known for over 60 years so why not. I also sell a lot of parts and get a lot of porting work so I’m not going to use a “fake name”. Messenger is the biggest pain in the but you need it to sell parts. After several warnings my friends usually understand why I don’t want naked crude pictures sent and most honor my requests.

I've avoided it because of all the gossip that I don't give 2 ***** about.
But CL is falling apart, I've had my son list things on marketplace for me and that's a pain too, "listing for my dad" and people asking him things he doesn't know, or offering him less than half what I want (which is less than others ask for similar items to begin with)
And so many of the traditional forums I'm in, so often a question comes up "where's so and so" and the response is "Oh I see them on the Fakebook forums"..... And I've asked in many places such things as "why aren't there D100/150 forums like there are for square body Chevys, any rendition of F150s etc"? And I get the "oh, there's 5-6 of them in Fakebook"

I think nowadays you almost "have" to have an account. I've used Marketplace mostly to give away old furniture. I use my real name and birth date but i keep my birthday private so I don't get a bunch of wishes. The cool thing is connecting with old high school buddies. I haven't lived in my hometown in nearly 40 years, but I still connect with buddies.

The REAL issue with Phlakebook Marketfarce is that the search function blows.

All you need to do to prove that is to enter something like "Mopar" and see how many completely ridiculous returns you get

The REAL issue with Phlakebook Marketfarce is that the search function blows.

All you need to do to prove that is to enter something like "Mopar" and see how many completely ridiculous returns you get

Or they show you exactly what you want, but it "ships free from Kalamazoo" or some dumb ****. It also fails to find listings, even if your search terms exactly match the item title.
It sucks, but I can see the utility for people who do a lot of business.

It's absolutely great for a stroll down memory lane with a decades old friend .
It'll erase a few years, and leave your cheeks sore from grinning about things long forgotten .

I don't buy jack diddly doo doo from marketplace unless it's someone local and they are in facebook group in common to me. Then normally, the item is for sale on that group page. I'm not gonna buy from someone not local, so that helps reign in some of the possible scams. Now if it's somebody on my friend's list, or someone I know from here that might be different. But I'm not getting myself into a position where I might lose money with no recourse such as using a pay service that has no buyer protection (think Paypal). I know lots hate Paypal, but I've had precious few deals go wrong using it and gotten my money back every single time, without fail. You can say it's a ripoff all you want (I agree for our Canadian friends), but why do you think they're in business? To stroke your ego with almost or free transactions? Hardly.

It's absolutely great for a stroll down memory lane with a decades old friend .
It'll erase a few years, and leave your cheeks sore from grinning about things long forgotten .
Yup. I'm friends with some of the people I went to school with on Facebook. Also I have some out of state family on there as well that I keep in touch with.

Marketplace is poorly executed so I hardly use it. I did sell my old BMW on it, though. Facebook is great for the connections to old friends scattered around the country. It has its drawbacks, too.

All of the things above are true. I recently found my next car on FB on an A body group. The guy had it listed cheap and was overwhelmed by the responses. He quickly took the ad down, but I had talked to him on the phone. I'm going to drive 9 hours next weekend to pick it up. Super nice guy that I would never had met except for a chance meeting on FB.

Zz7jUzpahjJScPbv4F2yhSmw=w695-h927-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

The problem I had with FB is that I was selling a lot of things and then they wanted my SS# so that they could let Big Brother know what I was doing. F#ck that. Also, if you don't offer payment through FB or offer shipping (so they can take their cut), their algorithm will bury your ad and no one ever sees it.

All of the things above are true. I recently found my next car on FB on an A body group. The guy had it listed cheap and was overwhelmed by the responses. He quickly took the ad down, but I had talked to him on the phone. I'm going to drive 9 hours next weekend to pick it up. Super nice guy that I would never had met except for a chance meeting on FB.

View attachment 1716076069

The problem I had with FB is that I was selling a lot of things and then they wanted my SS# so that they could let Big Brother know what I was doing. F#ck that. Also, if you don't offer payment through FB or offer shipping (so they can take their cut), their algorithm will bury your ad and no one ever sees it.
Interesting. Swaying me towards staying away from signing up

Yeah, they took all the fun out of selling that’s for sure. Following that eBay model I guess?

I’m not sure we’re you guys are selling at on Facebook but say I post an ad on keystone Raceway parks selling group I list my price and location, write up the ad, post up LOTS of pictures, if I will ship or local pickup only, and when I finish I have an option of listing it in like 13 other groups I belong to. The list comes up and I’ll click the groups I want my ad listed on. Click click click and I’m done. Most have to be approved by a moderator in that group. I try to price things fairly as you get 80% of your action in the first 48 hours. In a week or so they will notify me asking if it’s sold, want to drop the price, re-list, or delete my ad. I don’t accept payment through Facebook or marketplace. I’ve sold 13000.00 race cars, mega block, balanced 512 assembly, heads, intakes, you name it. I even made 4-5 sales out of the country as they are on Facebook too. Don’t be an idiot and not list a price. Don’t be an idiot wanting 90% of what you paid for it or trust me you will get beat up over it. Lol

Food for thought....

I signed up in 2008 (if I recall correctly) after my wife did and I saw all the people she was able to reconnect with. No surprises I thought, why not....

30 mins after I signed up, I got a "friend suggestion" of a women I dated while I was in the service, before social media and and internet for that matter, was a thing. We hadn't communicated in any way, shape or form for over a decade and nothing other than phone calls to my barracks, or my parents house before college, and hand written letters. Yet they found that connection.

Point is, there is so much more than your birthday out there is sick, and it aint going away. Again, this was in 2008....

Keep in mind if you want to give a fake birthday and then change it later, or vice versa, facebook will only let you change your birthday once. You can change your name, your town, your pinkie ring size, but birthday only once.

-
Back