• Radio

Votes: 120 68.2%
  • No Radio

Votes: 35 19.9%
  • Who Cares

Votes: 21 11.9%

• Total voters
-
my glove box liner was plastic, so i cut a hole in the back and made a place to mount the radio with sheet metal, then used speaker box material to cover it all.

I kinda like the sound of the motor.

Here's what I did with my radio hole.

14-4.jpg

For a street car, I vote radio... of some sort. You can always turn it off and listen to that beefy motor. Really nice touches 66340, Slantscamp, and Cudaspaz. Excellent work! I especially like the brake release.

For a street car, I vote radio... of some sort. You can always turn it off and listen to that beefy motor. Really nice touches 66340, Slantscamp, and Cudaspaz. Excellent work! I especially like the brake release.

Yes, the trusty HURST e-brake release handle.
It really ticks off the purists at the car shows.....insert evil laugh.

On my 68 Dart. I just have a small amplifier consealed under my front seat with the wires going back to the speakers. Then I just hook up my iPod the the amp with a RCA jack adapter cable which was like $12. Instant tunes and I don't have to mess with the stock radio. Simple.

oh yeah!!! def go with a radio cuz if your taking those long trips i know i can easely get tired of hearing the beautifull rumble expessially when u take ur kids and there fighting or goofing around then u gotto think how to block the "boss'" naging and complaining out i once saw a pretty good set up have a stock radio in the dash and then put you good radio on the floor pan right on the transmission hump in a box with matching carpet over top i think thats what i am gunna do of corse that might be harder with a standerd

I say if it's strictly a race car or performance car who needs a radio? On the other hand...
If your gonna take long drives you gotta have tunes! The nice thing about the 70's A-bodies is the modern head units are just about as wide as the heater control assembly so they don't look to out of place (IMO).I was initially against cutting My dash but I've seen so many now with modern audio equipment installed that I've changed My mind on the whole thing. I say go for it, just try and make it look tasteful.

Radio? yes. I wondered why mine was not working, found out the lone dashboard speaker had disintegrated. replaced it with a funky cheap-o I had and now can listen to AM all around town.

slantscamp, great idea about the speaker on the package tray. I like how you made the holes..
my dash is cut up so bad already that i'm probably just going to throw a new stereo right into the dash somewhere. but mounting speakers like that might be a good idea.

2400 watts 2 10s one 12 and 4 6x9s in my plan. want to burn a disc of the car running and play it with car shut off so people freek at shows. look the cranks not turning lol

I have a Kenwood Stereo and have a portable Sirius Satellite Radio setup which I can remove at any time. Since I have a lifetime subscription to Sirius, I do not pay any bill for the Satellite radio service and I can transfer the Sirius from one vehicle to another. Got to have tunes for a road trip.

well i've been driving my car for about 2 yrs now as a daily driver ...... no radio love the sound of the motor ,......but back in forth to work 40 mins there kinda miss the tunes

I gotta have a radio. Once I get my car completed I want to be able to take it to the dive in theater but they dont have the old door mount speaker anymore so you have to tune in to a FM station in order to get the sound.

I've had a lot of old cars, and never used the radio in any of them. Some worked, some didnt. I dont get to drive them often, so I just love listening to the exhaust. Best music in the world. Also, without any music blaring, I can notice noises that shouldnt be there, or noises that start up, that can warn of an impending problem. A lot of things can go wrong unexpectedly on a 40 year old car.

Tunes and cruising in a hot rod go hand in hand. I have to have a radio. Not a very fancy one because you can't hear a fine stereo over a rumblin' Mopar engine but I've got to have tunes in my rides. I like the look of the original radio in the dash and maybe fix it up for an aux. input, or a hidden setup.

Go for the tunes!

I run my original AM and the original (crappy sounding) speaker, part of the cone has separated lol.

I like it but I mostly listen to talk radio.

Been thinking about this one too. I want to take my original am radio and have the am/fm/aux input conversion done. With a small power amp under the front seat concealed and running two 6x9 boxes that are portable in the rear I can have stereo old school rock-n-roll while cruising. Or take out said speaker boxes for a factory look and have my Mp3 player playing period correct tunes. All with a 60's Radio DJ voice over I will record in my studio.

The original radio will look untouched and be playing from the factory speaker mounted in the dash. It will be cool I think.

John D. Beckerley

im building a box to go on the trans tunnel that i can put in a stereo with a couple speakers and a subwoofer. it will be a quick easy connection to the car and will all be one unit. my am radio will stay put in its factory location, and i wont hack any holes in the rear deck. im not into the huge systems , but i think my plan will sound pretty good .

i remember when i posted pics of my duster just after i put in a new deck and some speakers a member told me "it's cool, if i wanted to listen to tunes while heading down the track".

if you don't plan on taking long trips and just cruise around your town maybe no radio but if you plan on driving the thing i say put in a radio. you don't always have to listen to it.

-
Back