Rare Dodge Dart GT? Which engine is this?

-
Race Engine . . Hmmmm...

Performance Engine thinking yes.

Here are some more clues to the puzzle as @Swinger 340 has stated about it having the early Edelbrock Performer 4 barrel intake manifold with the thermostat mount bolts parallel to the bypass hose (mopar thermostat thermostat housing bolts are 90° to the bypass hose).

20230129_080243.jpg

Spread Bore, with possible thermoquad or even Quadrajet with the larger secondaries that fit the spread bore manifold.
"4 Barrel"

Then the fact the timimg cover has no paint on it, probably because they were in there putting a mild performance cam in it.

So yeah, 4 barrel carb, 4 barrel aluminum intake and performance camshaft upgrade, that will wake it up.

Now here is the reason the Alternator is on the driver's side. It's because their made up V8 conversion mount on the passenger side is mounted to the head, and is in the way to mount the Alternator there on that side.

20230129_081217.jpg

So one other is the fact the car has a 4 speed that has been swapped in there to go along with their performance upgraded V8 they dropped in.

Original quite sure was the 170 slant 6 with a 3 on the tree in '64, 3.23 rear gears.

3.23 rear gears are probably still in it, good match ratio for the V8 and 4 spd that is in it now. (Until it blows out . . 7 1/4" rear end)

20230129_085242.jpg

That is even looking like an aluminum 4 bbl. intake manifold in this picture, once you get the lighting right.

So Yeah, Norway may have some of us from the USA eating "Crow" when we find out what that engine setup really is.

☆☆☆☆☆

Did you notice this "Chrome Dipstick" hiding in the mix at the passenger side Head/Engine Mount area?

Screenshot_20230129-091204_Gallery.jpg

Definitely a performance engine with that chrome stick.
Lol . .

☆☆☆☆☆

Welcome. Keep your enthusiasm regardless. Once you see the side of the block to get the casting you will have a better idea of what you have. The fact that it has been mentioned the intake appears to be an aluminum from the past is a sign somebody was after performance. Unlikely a 2bbl on an aluminum, but it could be. The stock exhaust manifolds mean nothing. You can't get a reasonable set of headers today, let alone back then. It has a chrome box ignition, I'm pretty sure that is not factory. The tires in the old pictures don't look to be the same as the newer pictures. Really hard to tell but they look small, like a cheap set of lower gears.
What is on the roof? Does this thing have a sunroof? I'm not familiar with this body at all, but they are cool looking little cars.
Good luck on your adventure. FABO usually has the best advice and knowledge around.

Looks like it has aftermarket wider chrome wheels and chrome acorn nuts on it all the way around.

Probably 6" wide x 14"s.

Better Handling, Traction, and Looks, so that is another addition to the plan of their car.

20230129_101215.jpg

We have to remember, the op is from Norway. Those wheels could be from something we don't have here.

Race Engine . . Hmmmm...

Performance Engine thinking yes.

Here are some more clues to the puzzle as @Swinger 340 has stated about it having the early Edelbrock Performer 4 barrel intake manifold with the thermostat mount bolts parallel to the bypass hose (mopar thermostat thermostat housing bolts are 90° to the bypass hose).

View attachment 1716041079

Spread Bore, with possible thermoquad or even Quadrajet with the larger secondaries that fit the spread bore manifold.
"4 Barrel"

Then the fact the timimg cover has no paint on it, probably because they were in there putting a mild performance cam in it.

So yeah, 4 barrel carb, 4 barrel aluminum intake and performance camshaft upgrade, that will wake it up.

Now here is the reason the Alternator is on the driver's side. It's because their made up V8 conversion mount on the passenger side is mounted to the head, and is in the way to mount the Alternator there on that side.

View attachment 1716041089

So one other is the fact the car has a 4 speed that has been swapped in there to go along with their performance upgraded V8 they dropped in.

Original quite sure was the 170 slant 6 with a 3 on the tree in '64, 3.23 rear gears.

3.23 rear gears are probably still in it, good match ratio for the V8 and 4 spd that is in it now. (Until it blows out . . 7 1/4" rear end)

View attachment 1716041093
That is even looking like an aluminum 4 bbl. intake manifold in this picture, once you get the lighting right.

So Yeah, Norway may have some of us from the USA eating "Crow" when we find out what that engine setup really is.

☆☆☆☆☆
Nobody's eatin crow. Described as "race engine" and it's not. Simple as that. Nobody ever said it couldn't be some form of "performance".

We have to remember, the op is from Norway. Those wheels could be from something we don't have here.
Exactly just as the rest of the car. It could totally be something "rare" as we've seen no fender tag. Being what it is over THERE really makes it somewhat rare already! But race engine? Nah. Thing about it is, Even a stock small block in that would give a GTO what for.

Exactly just as the rest of the car. It could totally be something "rare" as we've seen no fender tag. Being what it is over THERE really makes it somewhat rare already! But race engine? Nah. Thing about it is, Even a stock small block in that would give a GTO what for.
Like the alternator on the drivers side. It looks like a cast bracket. Nothing close to ours here in the states.

Like the alternator on the drivers side. It looks like a cast bracket. Nothing close to ours here in the states.
That's right. It'll be interesting to see all the small differences.

2700# with a small block. I bet Vixen is even a bit lighter.

Nobody's eatin crow. Described as "race engine" and it's not. Simple as that. Nobody ever said it couldn't be some form of "performance".

It's just fun looking into this, all the FABO members are spotting little clues as to what it is.

Different sets of eyes are pickings things out that first went unnoticed, just from a few pictures and text from the OP.

Being half way around the world in Norway is cool too.

It's just fun looking into this, all the FABO members are spotting little clues as to what it is.

Different sets of eyes are pickings things out that first went unnoticed, just from a few pictures and text from the OP.

Being half way around the world in Norway is cool too.
Somebody said something about the alternator being on "the wrong side" when clearly it is mounted with what appears to be factory parts.....so it is correct for what and where it is. I like it for sure. Just imagine if it is some sort of a warmed up 340. No wonder it outran a lot of stuff. LOL

Last edited:
2700# with a small block. I bet Vixen is even a bit lighter.
Meh....probably not now. She has a trunk full of factory and aluminum floor jacks, spare tire, tool box, tarp and car cover, so she's totin around some extra weight. She's still mighty snappy, though. lol

So will a Polara station wagon. lol

So will a Polara station wagon. lol
Maybe with a big block. lol Although I know of a Grand Fury wagon that'd mop the road with a lot of GTOs. Unless they could click off 12.70s, they wouldn't have a chance. lol

Re-reading the original post again:

"Or when she was embarrassed to start it in the morning when going to work because it was so loud."

Sounds like it is actually a 340 with 318 heads on it as the OP is talking:

"I know that according to the engine’s documents that came with the car (they were lost in a house fire years ago) it said that it’s a 340 with cylinder heads from a 318."

Interesting ! Want to hear more.

The "Race Engine" part >>>.

Here is the way they worded it:

"said that it’s a 340, >>> with cylinder heads from a 318 “Race Engine.”

So the short block was a 340 (which would have come factory with the 340 performance cam).

But that the 318 heads came from a "race engine".

Possibly some stock car track 318 heads with bigger valves and a port job, but still with the smaller 318 combustion chambers to help up the compression more.

Would be interesting to know what year the 340 short block is?
I am betting '72-'73. Could easily tell what year it is by the front crankshaft vibration dampener. Internal or External balanced crankshaft.

The fact that it has been mentioned the intake appears to be an aluminum from the past is a sign somebody was after performance. Unlikely a 2bbl on an aluminum, but it could be. The stock exhaust manifolds mean nothing. You can't get a reasonable set of headers today, let alone back then. It has a chrome box ignition,
the intake might be aftermarket alum. but the shape doesn't look right to me for it to be a performer (granted i'm not looking at my car right now) but what strikes me is that the carb just doesn't look big enough, as in it doesn't appear to take up enough real estate on the manifold to be a 4bbl

also, i don't see a chrome box. or an EI for that matter. i do see a chrome voltage regulator.

i think that alternator might be in a modified smog pump bracket.

i'm guessing that the motor is later due to the mish-mosh looking jumble on the timing cover and waterpump.

it may have originally been a V8 car and they dropped in a 360 which would explain the mount on the pass side and the alternator mounting.

OMG

LET IT GO!

NO ONE HAS ENOUGH INFORMATION YET

How about we wait till the OP gathers more info and lets us know.

True, I heard somewhere that it’s on the opposite side because it’s classified as a race engine though. Again I can’t confirm that in any way because I haven’t found much about it yet online :/
I haven’t read the whole thread yet but first thing, welcome aboard.

Second thing about the race block…

No you don’t have one unless there is a letter “X”, “R” or a “R3” located in the picture below. The early race blocks were cast with the same numbers as production blocks.

8026C99B-B3D1-449F-9DAE-2C053325CCC2.jpeg

Last edited:
In terms of the fender tag, it’s been very challenging trying to decipher what’s on it due to dirt and paint that had to be scraped off. I can make out a few digits but nothing comprehensive. Is there anything I can apply to it to clean it up?

B528207E-550E-4F1D-95D9-CCDB4BDD7D6D.jpeg

FB50ECA0-BE32-4B1C-BD9E-4E45081188B2.jpeg

25225D92-13F8-49BE-BCCA-89A58F9A22B4.jpeg

-
Back