Rare

-

dodge71demon

Reaction score
Seems like the term RARE is used a lot when selling a classic car I went to Ebay and entered just the word RARE and 181 different car/truck listings came up. Is there a true meaning for the word RARE in the car world

I have a rare 95 buick centry . Why is it rare its a 4 door . with a Rare trunk poper butten . Un like most the A/c works in this Rare car . . Even more rare it has all the stock wheels on it . Only thing not stock in it is the CD player but have the stock tape deck to go back in if you wish to be rolling like thay did in the 90s .Be the coolest guy on your block with this 1995 buick !

Anybody that has a car can and will call it rare as it rarely sells.

I could make similar claims on my 2 cars. A 1973/340/4spd Cuda. How many are left?
A 2 year run name plate. A 1979 Dodge Magnum XE, dealer dressed up GT show room floor model.
Now how many Magnums are left that were dealer dressed up as a GT that were floor room show cars to lure the public in for a look to entice a purchase?
Now THAT is a RARE car!
For sale, $100,000, Needs resto.

BAHA ha ha ha ha

"Rare", "Numbers matching", "original", and "unmolested" are a few of the words that will indicate that the seller is looking for top dollar for the car, and are usually indicators to me to keep looking.
I don't want a "rare" or "numbers matching" car. I want something that I can enjoy, do with as I please, and not have to worry about each and every time I pull the damned thing out of the garage.

Maybe I'm not a purest when it comes to the hobby, but geez, man, I want to enjoy the hobby, not live for it.

adds like "rare" 10 owner , 72 duster , numbers matching 225 straight six , frame - off restoration , 276 posi rear end, barn find 12.5 K , are my favorites

I know the word "rare" gets thrown around needlessly, but there are some true examples of the word. The Tucker, for instance. If you see one advertised for sale, I think "rare" would be a good word to describe it. The legendary 71 Hemicuda convertible would be another one. Or, if you are going on options alone, the 1967 Mustang Shelby GT350, while there were over 3000 produced, only 8 of them had factory A/C. One of those cars would be rare. But to throw the word on a listing for a typical classic car, just because it is classic, is only a gimmick to get more money on a listing.

Yeah, one of my pet pieves, but I try to ignore it. I know folks are just trying trying to move their parts and don't have doctorates in marketing so I look the other way. But still... I must've seen no less that 20 RARE air cleaners for sale on this very forum and that doesn't count those poor, unfortunate souls who apparently did'nt know they were in fact selling the same RARE air cleaner only not identified as such.

And who can forget the 200 consecutive "rare car brochure" fiasco that recently went down which we all loved so much?

It is only rare if it is verifiable that:

1. Production numbers of the certain vehicle were substantially lower than production numbers of the same manufacturer's other offerings (see: '69 Firebird vs. '69 Camaro)...

And/or

2. Less than 5-10% of the original production run are still or nearly in operable condition.

The 1991 Isuzu Impulse RS is a prime example of a REAL rare car:

1. Only 800 were ever produced
2. An estimated fewer than 100 are currently still in vehicle form and not 4'x4' cubes/Camry fenders...

Finding one that runs, is in decent shape body-wise, and hasn't been severely altered, is like finding a '70 Superbird in near-museum condition with 750 original miles and original seat plastic, sitting in a barn and the guy only wants 1500 for it just to get rid of it...

What irks me about the current car market is that people will post a "Rare '03 Mustang V6" for sale, because it has the original factory cigarette lighter, or a "Rare Chevrolet Trailblazer" because it has some weirdo option that only one person ever ordered... THAT'S NOT A RARE VEHICLE, just a rare option!!!

- CK

I know the word "rare" gets thrown around needlessly, but there are some true examples of the word. .

The whole thing IS if you have a truly rare car, as the examples you've listed, you don't need to TELL me it's rare.

Sort of like saying "it's a nice nice day day."

Have had a few rare cars, but I just thought they were cars

Know a guy that has a RARE 69 Roadrunner, his words not mine, my word for it is an undesirable odd ball.

It is a real production 69 roadrunner and he was having restored and kept telling everyone about this rare roadrunner. When I seen it what he considers it rare is it is a painted top car. True very few painted top 69 RR. it is a green body with green interior and white painted top. In the 60's two tone painted top was not that unusual before the vinyl top became KING.

The car is for sale and he doesn't even tell people how much he wants for it.

IMO, it isn't a very good looking car,but for thoughs out there that are into a number matching car that is DIFFERENT, is exactly what he is looking for.

So is it a rare car or an ODDBALL?

I have a 1981 Imperial with original paint, interior and tires. 15,300 miles one of 7,200+ (dont remember exact number for 81, but less than 12,000 in the 3 model years) it has the aluminum snow flake wheels, red leather seats non tape deck radio (cassette or 8-track available) and the only extra cost option POWER MOON ROOF

I have never seen another 1981-1983 imperial in better unrestored condition, not saying there isn't a better one out there, I just haven't seen it.

Is it Rare? Yes I think so, does being rare make it worth more, NOPE! It is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it and seller willing to let it go.

"Rare", "Numbers matching", "original", and "unmolested" are a few of the words that will indicate that the seller is looking for top dollar for the car, and are usually indicators to me to keep looking.
I don't want a "rare" or "numbers matching" car. I want something that I can enjoy, do with as I please, and not have to worry about each and every time I pull the damned thing out of the garage.

Maybe I'm not a purest when it comes to the hobby, but geez, man, I want to enjoy the hobby, not live for it.

That's exactly how i feel about this topic.
100% agreed Frankie, you nailed it on the head for me!

The 95 BMW M3 I just sold was said to have RARE factory Chrome Wheel Option. Trouble is, as I came to find out, BMW didn't have a chrome wheel option - they were a dealer install item. This was pointed out to me through the M3 web site as I posted it for sale. They did concur that the Daytona Violet color was rare - that's what ultimately sold it.

"Rare" only means something when cooking meat.

Dad just got a '70 challenger. 318/auto on column, no anything for options unless you count the vinyl top and radio. It's fy1 top banana. I don't think it's rare but not something I see everyday either.

72 340 3 speed demon. One of 1465. Maybe rare because there isn't 1465 left. Any 340 demon isn't common.

Craigslist is full of rare vehicles. In reality probably bout as rare as a toyota camry.

I have a rare 95 buick centry . Why is it rare its a 4 door . with a Rare trunk poper butten . Un like most the A/c works in this Rare car . . Even more rare it has all the stock wheels on it . Only thing not stock in it is the CD player but have the stock tape deck to go back in if you wish to be rolling like thay did in the 90s .Be the coolest guy on your block with this 1995 buick !
7000 or best offer

:violent1:"Rare or odd-ball?" Non-car people think WE are all odd-balls, LOL.

RARE? BUYER BEWARE. In my opinion, you must do your homework.

1. If you are a collector and love the history of the hobby, then this discussion means something different to you.

2. If you are a Mopar hot rodder, and like to change em up, soup em up, you will have a different view.

3. If you are drag racer, you might look at it altogether differently than others.

4. OR.... what if you are interested in the history of Mopar drag racing, or street racing (ie. the Silver Bullet Hemi GTX?). There are rare examples of each.

Rare, or run-of the mill? I think both are legitimate descriptions. Is rare an overused word? I think on rare occasions, and in rare instances, rare cars and rare, vintage, hard to find parts show up on that rare website called e-bay and other rare car sites millions of times.

Now, as for me, I am getting back to my rare 69, A57 FB with a questionable pedigree.:violent1:

It would not only make me the coolest guy on the block but the only guy on the block with a 95 century! Don't take a penny less than $12.5k :toothy1:

Very well said.My sentiments exactly

It would not only make me the coolest guy on the block but the only guy on the block with a 95 century! Don't take a penny less than $12.5k :toothy1:
Nah Im not greedy For that price i would even toss in a really rare 90 chevy swb 1500 with a good running 350 and even has a rare u joint sweck . Has mud grips on the back and all trains up frount with racing disk wheel covers ! Needs a paint job . shes fast man if you aint scared to blow a front tire lol.

Seems like the term RARE is used a lot when selling a classic car I went to Ebay and entered just the word RARE and 181 different car/truck listings came up. Is there a true meaning for the word RARE in the car world

I read this thread last night before going to bed and I have been giving it some thought. I just might have it figured out, maybe it is something like steak. Rare is not quite done.

Is it Rare? Yes I think so, does being rare make it worth more, NOPE!
ding ding ding we have a winner!

All of our cars are rare. There are more Vipers running around my town at any given time than Dusters.
And in case no one has noticed, they quit making 1960s and 1970s vehicles several decades ago. Factor in attrition and they are all rare.

Doesn't mean they're (all) worth anything though.

-
Back