Rat Style Muscle Cars

-
I watched a movie called Highwaymen the other day and it starred a 1968 Barracuda Fastback Formula S. It's the same car that was used in the epsiode of Malcolm in the Middle when Malcolm gets his first car.

If and when I get the money to get one myself THIS is EXACTLY how I'd have it done, faded paint and all!

I don't know if many people here know about the "hot new thing" but just like the "Rat Rod" thing people are making "Rat Muscle Cars" now. Which I've have always been a fan of even before it's new "Title". Theres just something so cool about a beaten up old muscle car cruising down a lone country road heading in no particular direction, just enjoying the journey and the places it takes you.

So post a pic of your purposely unfinished projects or "Rat Muscle Cars"

When my cuda is ready to drive, it will be in light gray primer with painted steelies. I love that look, drove my 69 charger R/T for years that way, once i.painted it i got paranoid about it. Oh the cuda will have nice trim, grilles, and bumpers on it, and good bodywork, but primer is finer.not too much into the beat up and dirty/rusty look for my own rides. Must be my OCD, but it is cool, and i do like it.

Funny, when I posted up a question whether to paint my car or not, I think every person but one said to paint it without question. Everyone who sees it in real life says to leave it alone, don't paint. :violent1:

Just goes to show... do whatever makes you happy, not what others think. Opinions are like you know what...

Ratty can look very cool on an old muscle car or '60s/'70s car.

I think the paint and body is going to stay the way it is. The only panel that aint dentied is the hood, and with a tunnel-ram 440 I likely wont even put it on.

Attachments

• valiant3.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 500
What I would love for my car would be to somehow paint it the 68 Sox and Martin Barracuda and then "age" it so it looks like it has been used and unrestored from the 1968 season.

I am one of those guys who just spends all the money on the go and not the show. I got rust in all the normal places and the old lady (original owner) ran into everything possible. I think my dad gets embarrassed when I cruise with him, he has a 68 fastback mustang that is cherry and I am the ugly step brother :)

here is mine...........[ame="http://s13.photobucket.com/user/dravey/media/Duster%20picture%20links/MVI_4213_zps80a8996a.mp4.html"]MVI_4213_zps80a8996a.mp4 Video by dravey | Photobucket[/ame]. its 90% home made,junk yard,or swap meet.

This is a cool thread! My 70 duster spent almost 30 years in a salvage yard weathering its original FJ5 paint to its currant state. I dig the patina look myself and will run my Duster that way for a few years before it gets repainted. Although since it is apart I’m going to repaint the engine bay, trunk, door jams etc… When I replace the lower rear quarters and tail panel I’m going to weather the paint and hopefully blend it into the original. Also going to add the 71 340 stripes to it and weather them in as well.

Attachments

• i29644.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 457
  • i29645.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 453
  • i29647.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 469
This is a cool thread! My 70 duster spent almost 30 years in a salvage yard weathering its original FJ5 paint to its currant state. I dig the patina look myself and will run my Duster that way for a few years before it gets repainted. Although since it is apart I’m going to repaint the engine bay, trunk, door jams etc… When I replace the lower rear quarters and tail panel I’m going to weather the paint and hopefully blend it into the original. Also going to add the 71 340 stripes to it and weather them in as well.
I wish all cars aged as well as that sitting in salvage yards

DarTT,still got yours?
Nope. Traded it for my truck. Kinda miss it, but really not all that much. It was too big of a project for me at the time. Now that I have learned as much as I have, I probably coulda tackled it to an extent. Feels great though to daily drive my truck now though. Its my favorite vehicle I have owned so far :glasses7:

That is a good thing,TT.
yep! inspired me to make my "favorite daily" thread. I drive my truck every day and I honestly couldnt be happier that I traded. Every time I looked at that car, I just got overwhelmed. That and Bruce passing away kinda sucked alot of passion out of me to work on it

I've honestly kicked around the idea of trading back for an A-body but I know that I won't end up with something as good as my truck. We will see what the future holds

You did the work,TT . I would drive it. Had one myself, let it go,too easily.

IMG_2936.jpeg

IMG_2933.jpeg

20200412_163620.jpg

My first Dart, a true "daily driver" and long before ratty was a thing, 1970 Dart GT.
20230217_170922.jpg

The shitbox that I own today, 75 Dart Sport that I have been trying to make reliable enough to be a daily driver.

My Duster is ratty. Though not by design lol. Kidding aside, I too enjoy seeing rough looking muscle cars ripping it up.

-
Back