rattle can 1968 dart gt

-

junkyard jac

Reaction score
I couldn't afford a paint job. big bucks these days. my car was in black epoxy primer and it kept oxidizing. found this dupli color hi build fleet coating. had to change the spray nozzle to one that comes from a spray bomb that you would get at an automotive paint store on a color match can. it has about a six inch spray pattern. this dupli color can nozzle was only about 2 inches wide at a six inch distance. took only 5 cans (439 g) of semi gloss black. covers really good. only did one section at a time. hood, fender etc. did it outside with a slight wind. lots of masking paper. nobody could tell that this was a $75 paint job. $15 each up here in Canada. s

IMG_0369.JPG

IMG_0365.JPG

IMG_0362.JPG

I'd say it looks good....but pics are fuzzy, so that's subjective, lol

Looks good! I like it. I have been thinking about shooting my 66 Dart like that just for fun. Those Magnum wheels and white lettered tires look good too!

Looks great i also have had great results with a foam roller and thinned out paint cost me less than 50.00 to do the whole car

When was the paint applied? I'd be curious to see how long it stays looking good. It certainly looks good now IMO.

It does look pretty good. I think fading in the elements is going to be the main problem. Rattle can paints do not historically stand up well to the elements.

Looks great... where abouts in Canada are you?..

Looks great... where abouts in Canada are you?..
Thunder bay. actually Neebing on about 3 miles from us borber. as far as fading goes its garage kept. Sunday driver 440 727 391 posi 8 3/4 with 11 inch drums in back and disc in front.

That was only one coat and i never finished it with a wet sand because once it was all one color i was good lol

I think the job looks good on both the rattle can and foam roller. We are painting our duster in a plum crazy. So I went down to the local parts store and got several cans if rustoleum plum crazy automotive rattle can and have used it to jam everything and bought restoration shop brand plum crazy for the full exterior of it. $128.00 per gallon to the front door.

FYI John Deere Blitz Black is under 60 for everything to paint a Car and is durable and won't fade

Looks good in an "outlaw, moonshine running, sneak around at night, black ops, " sort of way. You know the primer look always was cool.....;)

I think the job looks good on both the rattle can and foam roller. We are painting our duster in a plum crazy. So I went down to the local parts store and got several cans if rustoleum plum crazy automotive rattle can and have used it to jam everything and bought restoration shop brand plum crazy for the full exterior of it. $128.00 per gallon to the front door.
Rust Olem makes "Plum Crazy"!?!....... :)

FYI John Deere Blitz Black is under 60 for everything to paint a Car and is durable and won't fade
a "tractor enamel" will be much more durable in UV rays no doubt than the "duplic color etc" spray bombs..... an automotive enamel or acrylic urethane WITH hardner will have and keep more shine over time and be more durable, and it can be bought in factory colors if you look at the right places. the second line paints are no doubt not as "good" as their top lines, BUT......
I have sprayed tractor paint on hood 3 years ago, stuck like super glue, over epoxy primer, and looked good 3 years later, it never did or will look like auto grade acrylic enamel or urethane with hardner.
but I commend anyone that gets rid of rust eating away their sheetmetal, does something to protect it, and DRIVES their car!

its a car, not a museum piece, drive it!!!

Well. I thought they made a version of the rustoleum plum crazy. But it's called plum purple, the downside is that it's a darker shade over the gallon of metallic plum crazy. I've ordered rattle cans of plum crazy before from the local hobby shops for painting models. So I know it can be gotten. My wife and son like the rattle can color more, so now they want me to go get it matched by the gallon at the local auto paint supply store. Lol, they said they like the darker depth to it.

Hi looks good. Hot Rod Black Prime sprays on easy, if you can rattle can then you are good enough to spray this paint. I have used several times.
Thanks

my charger hood is semi gloss black. what I do to protect it is spray on and rub in some "Tire Wet". it keeps it looking good and uniform

-
Back