reaen end vibration

-

strad

Reaction score
I am finishing-up my 72 Duster 340 and took it fo a drive and there is a very noticible ocilating vibration starting at 55mph and worse at higher speeds. The drive shaft was ballanced and still have the problem. Any body have thoughts that might be causing this; alaignment, bearings, drive ahfts etc?

could be driveshaft angle,sometimes the rearend needs to be SHIMMED to correct this.could be out a few degree's.won't hurt to check.someone should have spec's on this.

How would you go about shimming the rear end and where would I find specs on this?

There is lots of info on this on the internet that you can google but, the short answer is you need at least 1 degree of angle and not more than 4 degrees. Angles should be equal and opposite.

Also... Make 100% sure your c-clips are installed on your u-joints!

How would you go about shimming the rear end and where would I find specs on this?

I've had that too- turned out to be the u joint had basically frozen (rear). I know you have been going through the car, but. . .?

Mike

I had the EXACT same problem after installing an 8 3/4 in my '68 fast back. It was the angle being off. 684mulas just gave you the info.

check your air pressure and see if there is any bubbles on your tire...i just had that problem and my tire popped on me

I have a similar vibration problem @ 70 mph and I haven't yet changed the original leaf springs. The left leaf sags a bit and I'm guessing this also effects the pinion angle causing a vibration.

This is my first post here. Lots of great info so I thought I would join and participate when I can.

I would have the tires/wheels checked for proper balance before going crazy with mechanical stuff.

Could have developed a flat spot on a tire.

Just because the driveshaft was balanced doesn't mean it's right either. I've had to take them back several times before it was right. I just shorten them myself now and get them to less than .001 runout and they don't need to be balanced then.

-
Back