Real deal or move along?

-
So...yeah, I just confirmed with the seller that the gears in this axle are 2.71, in other words, not good.

And new ring and pinion sets are $260, if they will even fit. That just put the price of this axle (before new bearings and brakes) around $500.

For that money I think I'm now better off with the shortened Ford 8.8

This may well have just decided what route I take. I really should have asked the seller that question at the very beginning.

Short 8.8 is a big heavy unit. What you really want is a 7 1/4 sure grip pumpkin. They are 50% stronger than a one legger and wont require any additional support work. Youll need an 8.8, 2 short side axles, a pipe cutter and a welder you can trust to keep the tube on. Slants are not torque beasts, your running an auto and your car is light. That would be my quest. Hey, they put them in the 67 4bbl Barracuda with 3.91 gears!

So what am I missing? Why would you do all that work to use a FORD 8.8 when you could find an 8 3/4 Mopar the right width and drop it in - probably even find a stock driveshaft that fits... Just sayin'

So what am I missing? Why would you do all that work to use a FORD 8.8 when you could find an 8 3/4 Mopar the right width and drop it in - probably even find a stock driveshaft that fits... Just sayin'

Well, part of my reasoning is right there in your question (not to come across rude): I could find a 8-3/4 that would drop right. It's possible yes, but in my neck of the country, 8-3/4 rears are rare and those from an A-body are rarer still.

For instance, the only 8-3/4 that I'm currently aware of for sale "close" to me in California is currently bolted into a 65 Belvedere that is about 4 hours away from me. The seller wants $500 and I have to pull the axle myself. Then, because it's a B-body rear, I would have to have both axle tubes shortened and source shorter axle shafts or have them made.

I can go to a local Pick n Pull yard on a half price weekend, find my donor car and walk out with a Ford 8.8 guaranteed for under $200. I work at a heavy equipment manufacturer and I can have one of our welders cut and weld the axle tube on one side.

bare housing going for 800+ hog heads 800+ not counting axles backing plates or brakes, by all means spend that money for mopar stamped parts!!! 8.8 or 9 inch or dana60 all be half what a 8 3/4 will cost....DWB

I just seen a 8.75 on Facebook Mopar Page, a guy has a complete rear for an a body with new rear drums, for a $1000 he will ship also.
Deals are out there if you are patient.

I just seen a 8.75 on Facebook Mopar Page, a guy has a complete rear for an a body with new rear drums, for a $1000 he will ship also.
Deals are out there if you are patient.

$1,000 is a deal? Lol.

To the OP, I would just rebuild what you have and add a suregrip to it.

I had a stock rebuilt 318 with a 4BBL and headers in my 70 swinger with a 7 1/4 peg leg. That rear end held up fine, daily driving it and making over 10 passes at the drag strip.

It’s complete with center ready to run, not mine

I built one out of parts a few years ago, started with a bare housing, had a center section, bought new axles, and used the brakes off a 7.25 and had around $600 in everything.
Without the center, parts would be over $1000

I built one out of parts a few years ago, started with a bare housing, had a center section, bought new axles, and used the brakes off a 7.25 and had around $600 in everything.
Without the center, parts would be over $1000

I live outside Seattle and yeah the prices have gone up since I bought my first complete unit in 1978 for $180... but I spend a lot of time at the swap meets here and you can still find good deals if you put some time into it. I buy a body housing whenever I see one at a good price and axles can be had on the cheap. Last year I bought a complete housing with Moser axles for $500 at the Portland swap meet.

-
Back