Really cool power ports.

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
This might get moved to electrical, i put it here for more exposure though however, If i had to guess , a lot of the guys and gals on here probably dont smoke, and have seen and probably have the plug in power ports for your cigar lighter sockets in your cars. I have em, and they suck.

Well i was cruisin on evilbay, and found these nifty power ports that replace the cars lighter socket. The nice thing here is you already have the hole in the ashtray frame, and a switched hot going to it. All you need to do is add a ground for one of these. I found a 4.2A dual USB charger socket with over circuit protection, and a digital volt gage built in, i have also seen these without the volt gage but backlit around the ports with 2.1A capacity too. This is a great idea to retrofit into these older cars we enjoy. Heck i am going to put one in my old pickup truck, and my daily driver too.

Screenshot_20181220-092856.png

Screenshot_20181220-095601.png

The dealio you plug your cell phone , MP3 player, tablet etc charging cord into. Please dont tell me you just upgraded to land line from telegraph lol. XD

This might get moved to electrical, i put it here for more exposure though however, If i had to guess , a lot of the guys and gals on here probably dont smoke, and have seen and probably have the plug in power ports for your cigar lighter sockets in your cars. I have em, and they suck.

Well i was cruisin on evilbay, and found these nifty power ports that replace the cars lighter socket. The nice thing here is you already have the hole in the ashtray frame, and a switched hot going to it. All you need to do is add a ground for one of these. I found a 4.2A dual USB charger socket with over circuit protection, and a digital volt gage built in, i have also seen these without the volt gage but backlit around the ports with 2.1A capacity too. This is a great idea to retrofit into these older cars we enjoy. Heck i am going to put one in my old pickup truck, and my daily driver too.

View attachment 1715264309

View attachment 1715264311
I added one to my bronco, and my duster (in the shifter cover)

Be careful quoting the 4.2 output..i bet that is a total over both ports

View attachment 1715264309

View attachment 1715264311

We have a few of those around here, and they work great.
My Dart has a dock that I made using a phone case with a car charger wired up under the dash and is mounted on the front edge of my dash just to the right of my steering wheel.
Not only does it charge my phone (weather they key is on or not) it also directly connects the phone's headphone jack to my stereo auxiliary input at the same time.

This gives me visual "turn by turn" right in front of my view with voice over my stereo that mutes the music and says what it needs to say, and then the music volume comes back up afterwards.
Same with texts, phone calls and any other audio or visual notifications.
Also, the Seri button is right there as well so I can voice command to send texts or phone calls.
Also I have a digital speedometer app that I sometimes check my speedometer with.

You could literally race someone to a place you have no idea where it is, because the voice over the stereo tells you which way you need to turn as well as what lane you need to be in AND the street name and how far ahead the turn is.
This includes how far you are from your destination at the speed you are going along with the total trip miles shown on the screen.

I'm tellin ya, I'm getting spoiled by this setup.:D

SANY0031.JPG

SANY0032.JPG

Now to find one with the volt gauge in USB3 quick charge . The Barracuda Ralleye dash has the lighter in the dash itself but I bet I could cut the knob off a lighter and glue it to the USB cover to blend it in hmmmm !

Now to find one with the volt gauge in USB3 quick charge . The Barracuda Ralleye dash has the lighter in the dash itself but I bet I could cut the knob off a lighter and glue it to the USB cover to blend it in hmmmm !
My sons 69 notch, i plan on getting new lower gage panel trim pieces made by jim fillmore at DMT without the round hole for the in dash lighter. Will use the lighter plug hole in the ashtray. If your car is a 68 you wont have an inside ashtray lighter. If you got a center console, there will be one there with a chrome wilkie button covering the hole though.

My replacement bezel did not come with the cigar lighter hole drilled. I had to locate it and drill it myself.

Damn, i wish his dash bezel didnt have a lighter hole. It spoils the whole clean look of the dash IMHO

20181029_175627.jpg
I bought one for each of my vehicles. If you're out at a show or on a cruise you need to keep your phone charged and in the old cars, the voltmeter is pretty handy.

My replacement bezel did not come with the cigar lighter hole drilled. I had to locate it and drill it myself.
Must be either a 67 or 70up ralleye bezel then , the 68/69 had the thumb wheel radios instead of the 67 knobs and the 70up has different heater controls as well .

Well they literally come on a slow boat from China because they won't get here until between Jan 20 and March 10 2019 but I got 2 in blue .

Got mine off Amazon. The housing is billet aluminum. Not sure if these cheaper one are plastic or aluminum.
Anyway I installed it in my console about a month ago. Have charged my phone from it and love the volt meter function.

3A1EE04A-B026-4D1A-BED0-6B4BAAC073EA.jpeg

2A988F24-B2EA-49EA-86CD-56E5EB135BEC.jpeg

These are plastic it looks like, however the billet aluminum ones arent that much more expensive. I like that backlit one w volt meter toolmanmike. I havent found one like it on evilbay.

I may go w the single one with volt and amp gage because its a 3A output, plus i'm usually the only one in my truck, only one plug in needed there.

-
Back