Rear Disc Brake Conversion

-
The slickest rear disk brake conversion I've seen sourced from a salvage yard comes from the 77-80 Lincoln Versailles. Disk brakes, cable operated e-brake, 4½ bolt pattern, 9 inch rear center section, and spring perches that fit the A-body perfectly. The downside of this is that with only about 50,000 made, there aren't many in junk yards. I can remember only seeing one. The rear end was already gone.

The slickest rear disk brake conversion I've seen sourced from a salvage yard comes from the 77-80 Lincoln Versailles. Disk brakes, cable operated e-brake, 4½ bolt pattern, 9 inch rear center section, and spring perches that fit the A-body perfectly. The downside of this is that with only about 50,000 made, there aren't many in junk yards. I can remember only seeing one. The rear end was already gone.

Don't use the Versailles/Ford parts from the 70's. They are very heavy and problematic. The caliper uses both the hydraulic fluid for brakes and cable to to compress the caliper. The problem is the e-brake drags and holds the pads slightly closed if the piston is not completely screwed back in the proper location. I had this problem when I owned a Merc Monarch from the 70's. The caliper piston is reset with a tool that screws the piston back to zero setting, but if the piston is not just right (the pads will still fit) it drags. Anyway, Ford dumped the design when they discovered the disc drum parking brake combo works so much better. I wouldn't consider anything else but the Ford style. Doctor Diff is a nice guy I met at a few trade shows. Jeep kit is good, but no parking brake, No bueno! The Ford set-up will require some fab work. Good luck

DoctorDiff's kit is the best one out there. Everything else on the market has some serious compromises. Baer might make a good kit but the price is going to be fairly high.

what size rims does it clear?

I just called my Scrap buddie, and he has a 1997 cherokee limited right now, Is that rear set up the same? I can get the discs, and brakets and everything for $10-$20

Phil

Those are the same ones!

My Duster has a large bolt pattern, but that wouldn't make a difference either way.

In the photo above I have a 14x7" slotted mag that has a thick aluminum construction.
I would think it should clear any 14"+ wheels.

8 3/4 ,, I would think that if you split that cast brakect in half,made some spacers you could bolt it behind the flange on the 8 3/4 and get the correct rotor spacing that way,, a little work,,but factory parts,,and way cheaper then after market rear discs,,

Rear Disc 001.jpg

Rear Disc 004.jpg

Rear Disc 002.jpg

Rear Disc 003.jpg

Rear Disc 005.jpg

This is when I installed these Last week. They are Doctordiffs Rear brake kit and got the parking cables.

Rear Disc 001.jpg

Rear Disc 004.jpg

Rear Disc 002.jpg

Rear Disc 003.jpg

Rear Disc 005.jpg

Nice, I looked on the website but didn't see any pricing available, if you don't mind, what's that kit going to set me back for???

I have upgraded all the front already to 73 spindles and tubular uppers. I just having issues with the rear brakes and want to switch to Disc. I heard about the explorer rear brakes but the ones Cass sells are all new parts and Just a phone call away. I was wanting to hear all the pro's and cons of the different disc brakes that are out there.

Do you run the 11.75 front rotors? That is much more of a performance upgrade than rear disks. That should be done first or at the same time.

Nice, I looked on the website but didn't see any pricing available, if you don't mind, what's that kit going to set me back for???

They are $525.00 with out the parking brake cable and an additional $ 100.00 for the cables. Kit includes loaded calipers, Rotors, Mounting brackets, stainless flex hoses with bango bolts, copper washers,retaining clips and the tabs that either have to be welded which I did or he can be bent and hose clamped. I decicded to weld them cause it looks better and I know there not gonna move.

Do you run the 11.75 front rotors? That is much more of a performance upgrade than rear disks. That should be done first or at the same time.

I am running stock 73 rotors. I did have Kelsey hayes front rotors and did the swap to the 73.

any have a solution for the parking brake cable on the jeep swap?

I am partial to that as it uses all Mopar Stuff :D

any have a solution for the parking brake cable on the jeep swap?

I am partial to that as it uses all Mopar Stuff :D

The place that my cables were shipped from was in CA. I think the name was control cables. I will try to find the box that mine came in. I bet the can make you some.

You subscribed to a thread that hasn't been updated in four years?!?! Did you have any specific questions??? The search engine here is great. Just sayin

I posted a link to this post from another post referring to parts that are interchangeable etc.

It might be old, but it's a good read.

You subscribed to a thread that hasn't been updated in four years?!?! Did you have any specific questions??? The search engine here is great. Just sayin

My local junkyard has a bunch of jeeps, I've done the 11.75 disks on the front and have 11 inch C body drums on the back. I would like to know if this is doable and if it would make any change in the way the car stops now.

My personal opinion is that you have more than enough brake to stop any A body quickly. I wouldn't think you would see much gain unless you do a lot of road course racing where the brakes heat up and fade.

The only reason I went to four wheel disc brakes was that I got a smokin' deal on a package that I couldn't pass up.

-
Back