Rear end problem help

-
So the guy ended up giving me a call, i think it was quick performance afterall as the guys last name wasd quick but anyways. So i told him my whole deal and he said that be builds them with tight clearances and it also has a crush sleeve eliminator in it already, he also told me the noise im hearing when i turn is the clutches in the unit that havent gotten enoigh oil/additive. He told me to that i havent driven it enough to break it in and for me to go to a open lot and do alot of figure 8s. Im pretty sure one of u guys mentioned that above. Then i asked him about the howling and he said that i need to drive it around and if it doesnt go away then to call him but i do give him credit as he went out of his way to call me and discuss so i feel like he does stand behind his work. So i am going to do what he stated to do and see if anything changes since he is backing his work and willing to get to the bottom of this. I will try that out on wenesday and see what happens. Has anyone had anything similiar like this told to them?

The howling isn't going away. Hopefully he'll make it right. Sounds like he may. He's gonna need to.

So the guy ended up giving me a call, i think it was quick performance afterall as the guys last name wasd quick but anyways. So i told him my whole deal and he said that be builds them with tight clearances and it also has a crush sleeve eliminator in it already, he also told me the noise im hearing when i turn is the clutches in the unit that havent gotten enoigh oil/additive. He told me to that i havent driven it enough to break it in and for me to go to a open lot and do alot of figure 8s. Im pretty sure one of u guys mentioned that above. Then i asked him about the howling and he said that i need to drive it around and if it doesnt go away then to call him but i do give him credit as he went out of his way to call me and discuss so i feel like he does stand behind his work. So i am going to do what he stated to do and see if anything changes since he is backing his work and willing to get to the bottom of this. I will try that out on wenesday and see what happens. Has anyone had anything similiar like this told to them?

Great news ! Sure glad he called, and you were able to talk with him ! Yes I told to do the figure 8’s in the school parking lot ! That should go away ! If the clunking doesn’t go away just add second bottle of friction modifier....

Unfortunately, the howling I don’t believe will ever go away ! Drive it as he ask you to.... im pretty sure he will have to fix that problem.... I’ve built a lot of third members in my time... Every time I had one howling I had to go back in and adjust something... Never had one howling that the howling just went away ... Never !! Sounds like the is a standup guy.,. I hope he continues that.. Good luck to you Sir !

Yeah we will see how it does when i do what he said to do and if i need to send it back to him its going to be a little since hes in iowa

Also is it possible to pull the axles to look at my axle bearings again without losing fluid or compromisimg anything?

Last edited:
Well see how it turns out but I'm curious on my axle bearings possibly causing the humming, let me know if I could be wrong about what I'm about to say.

When I bought the rear end assembly with my other center section it was all together drum to drum. Well all I did is slap it in the car and just did a quick check of the brakes and everything looked good...to so I thought. Well when I decided to put the car on the lift last week and inspect a couple things I found that the axle bearing adjuster tab that holds it in place was never on it....so the bearings must have been tightening and loosening constantly and I'm wondering if it wore out a bearing for the time being(I didn't check bearings either when I last pulled out the axles cause I was running out of time) and thats where I'm hearing this howling noise? Idk if this is a possibility but that's why I do want to pull the axles and check but will I have to worry about any gear fluid coming out?

And I know that was a bad mistake but is this plausable?

Don't know if it helps but I just went thru the same issue of whining on deceleration in my 73 Sport with 8 1/4 and sure grip. The pinion depth was wrong. I added a 0.003 shim under the pinion and reset the backlash from 0.011 to 0.007 and the whining went away. Also, one poster recommended Prussian Blue to check backlash. Please get some marking paste made for the job. I tried Prussian Blue with terrible results - could hardly see the pattern. Picked up some of the baby-**** yellow paste and it worked much better.

Yes, an incorrect pinion contact will create howling and whirring noises. If you do remove the pumpkin, brush some Permatex Prussian Blue on the pinion gear to take the guesswork out of the equation and actually see the pinion/ring gear pattern.
View attachment 1715635445
You will see for yourself exactly where the pinion is contacting the ring gear before you start chasing your tail. This basic chart may help.
Gearing Contact Patterns
Dykem as well.

mi
Even if it's not howling all the time? Only when I let off gas around 40 I hear it
Mine was the same way at first on my 489 sure grip.. And after about 200 miles in whines all the time..

Have to take it out and have it checked..My thinking is they left the thrust washer in when we switched to green bearings..

Lots of great threads here about it.!

Bruce

Alright guys well reporting back on the situation. So after talking with this guy about it that i got it from online he insisted on putting some miles on it and working it in . Well i did and yes the clunking did go away but the howling at 40-30 is still there. well i waiting to call him since we had thanksgiving and everything. So i called him today and he asked me if i had green bearings and i told him no i dont. Well he insisted that he would send me a free pair of MO green bearings i guess. So i then asked him that okay so if that doesnt work then whats the plan?(this is the kicker) So he said well then i would just have you send the unit back and issue a refund cause i dont know what else could be wrong with it....I said theyre is no way we can open it up see if something is off or something? He then replied to me saying something about he didnt build the unit he just sells them....So now im not really to thrilled about this and now debating about just pulling it and sending it back and going with dr diff or a reputable buider because im tired of the sound of a jet plane landing in the rear. Could green bearings really make a difference? My bearings are brand new stock tapered greased and all good?this has been a headache. Let me know what u guys think?

In my opinion,
If he didnt build it, send it back for the refund, then buy one from a reputable dealer who is not just a middle man.
Good luck.

That would be a question for the masses here. I only bought axles from Dr Diff and had no issue.
I believe Dr Diff is the premier go to for anything rear end.

Also is there any possibility that this rear end was supposed to be ran with green bearings and I ran tapered and that's the problem?

Absolutely not. Kim
Alright sounds good we'll the guy said he was going to send me green bearings for free to see if it alleviates it but I'm betting it won't so maybe I should just start getting ready to pull it

Bearings don't care if the power is on or off; they will not sound any different under power than coasting.
I have set up hundreds of rears and every time it howled on decel, there was no making it better; the pattern is crossed up, and there is nothing you can do about it.
Furthermore, you can see the pattern is crossed up in the checking grease before you ever send it out.

Having said that,a mild howl on decel, is only annoying. In a hundred thousand miles it might change a little, but it will never blow up. I got a set of 3.55s in my car right now, that have been just noticeably howling on decel, for decades. I traded a nice set of dead-quiet 4.10s for them too.
I hope you have better luck than I did, getting out of the deal.

IMO I would not install green bearings. They are ball style and they do not carry side loading like your current tapered bearings. Fine for the drag strip.

What's wrong with learning how and fixing it yourself? Everything about setting up ring and pinion gears is grammar school geometry. It's very easy to do once you see what's going on. All you need is one or two specialized tools. That way, you will know you did it right and you will have learned something new.

What's wrong with learning how and fixing it yourself? Everything about setting up ring and pinion gears is grammar school geometry. It's very easy to do once you see what's going on. All you need is one or two specialized tools. That way, you will know you did it right and you will have learned something new.

Send it back.

So I still haven't had a chance to pull out the 3rd member, hopefully Monday I'll be able to knock it out fast but the green bearings that the guy insisted on sending for free showed up. Kind of weird but I was going through pictures and found the picture of when I first got the member in the box and I zoomed in to see the wear pattern of the ring and pinion. The pattern didn't look bad unless I'm wrong, the picture kind of sucks but I was able to zoom in and look at it. Also pulled my axle with the adjuster to see i noticed anything and everything looked fine. Anyways I'll update on Monday

PXL_20201206_220600053.jpg

PXL_20200927_022059428.jpg

-
Back