rear leaf spring choices?

-

72moparswinger

Reaction score
Hey guys, just got my 8.75 a body rear end finished for my dart and Im shopping new rear leafs for her as these old ones are sagging bad like when i put a full tank in the car she has low rider mode come on lol. I am using the car as a weekend cruiser and little track time so I'm looking at the mopar section on summit racing and saw those springs they sell. anybody run those? I'm open to suggestions. I am running comp engineering shocks by moroso in the front and like to have them all match, i like the ride they give for being drag shocks since they are 3 way adjustable.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-4120864/overview/year/1972/make/dodge/model/dart

There are a number of other sources for leaf springs. The Mopar units are probably better suited for straight line track use than for cruising. I'd suggest checking out McVeigh Truck Spring, Eaton Detroit Spring, and PST. Others can chime in here with sources they have happily used.

In general, drag shocks typically can be bested by a good set of gas shocks for street use. The problem I have with drag shocks on the front is they are so unbalanced between uplock (80%) and downlock (20%). I run Delco Pleasurizers I got from Rock Auto on my 73 /6. The Demon has Monroe Gasmatics on it. I recommend either. Premium brands you can check out are Bilstein, Koni, and KYB Gas A-Just.

X2 on the Mopar Super Stock springs. They are a great spring for drag racing, but are pretty stiff for street use. Plus they raise the rear of the car pretty high. My friend had to use 2" lowering blocks to get rid of the stink bug look.

A lot of us have used ESPO in the past with good luck. The pricing including shipping is good and Laura really knows her stuff. Everything I needed was on my porch within a few days.

Just bought springs from espo springs and things.Got 6 leaf like came on my 340 duster.
Ride height looks good have not drove but sure it should be fine.Going to be 95% street driven

Been using JR Spring on my 73 Duster for 10 yrs now....still looking good.

you'll have to decide if you want better street manners or want it to do better at the track.

theres always going to be a compromise somewhere.

i the last few i have done i've used the 6 leaf espo springs. couldn't be happier. you can get them in stock height, +1" or +2". great customer service and good prices in my opinion.

http://www.springsnthings.com/

best bet is to call them...
Telephone:
(800) 903-9019 or (570) 672-9413
Monday-Thursday 10 AM-5 PM Est; Friday 10 AM-3 PM Est.

Im shopping new rear leafs for her as these old ones are sagging bad.

I am using the car as a weekend cruiser and little track time so I'm looking at the mopar section on summit racing and saw those springs they sell. anybody run those? I'm open to suggestions4120864/overview/year/1972/make/dodge/model/dart[/url]

For your application I would not run SS leafs. They are not for handling and they will make the car sit a touch crooked. If you want mopar leafs just get a set of XDHD leafs. I run them in my car and they work just fine both on the street and on the strip.

For your application I would not run SS leafs. They are not for handling and they will make the car sit a touch crooked. If you want mopar leafs just get a set of XDHD leafs. I run them in my car and they work just fine both on the street and on the strip.

X2 been using them on my street/strip duster 6+ years now..

all three of these darts have espo +1" springs....

DSC_0096.JPG

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

Thanks all for the info! I've never would have looked into espo springs, I'll take a look at the site and do some more reading before I pull the trigger on a set
Thanks again!

Thanks all for the info! I've never would have looked into espo springs, I'll take a look at the site and do some more reading before I pull the trigger on a set
Thanks again!

You won't be disappointed. If you do a search on leaf springs or ESPO you will find HUNDREDS of posts singing their praises.

Nothing against ESPO, they make great springs.

I'm using AFCO 20231m's on my Duster, they're a 121lb spring that sits pretty much at zero arch. They have a reinforced front section too, kinda like the SS springs and some of the aftermarket handling springs. Only thing about them is they have a 1/2" longer front section, so they center the tires up in the rear wheel houses. Might be good for you, might not. I had my driveshaft made up after I installed them because I switched to an 8 3/4, so it didn't matter.

You can also look at the Mopar oval track springs, part P4529415. Those are the +1" version, although they sit pretty darn flat. Pretty much the same spring as the AFCO's, but you can get them CHEAP...

https://monicattichrysler.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=814

I doubt a 1/2" longer front section, especially if the front section is reinforced, will have any negative impact. It will as aforementioned bring the tire into the proper location in the wheelwell assisting with required tire clearance.

Ok @67autocross, what about my 8+ year old post do you disagree with?

The AFCO 20231M's have been discontinued, and the mopar oval track spring production was moved and their quality is now lousy. But neither of those things were true 8 years ago when I posted that.

Ok @67autocross, whon at about my 8+ year old post do you disagree with?

The AFCO 20231M's have been discontinued, and the mopar oval track spring production was moved and their quality is now lousy. But neither of those things were true 8 years ago when I posted that.
Can you elaborate on the quality issues.
Sounds like exactly the springs I'm looking for with the 1/2 inch set back.

Can you elaborate on the quality issues.
Sounds like exactly the springs I'm looking for with the 1/2 inch set back.

The short version is that there have been production issues with the oval track springs. All of the Mopar Performance springs have been made in Mexico for well over 10 years now, but their quality has just continued to go downhill with regard to the spring packs, arch, even thickness of the leafs.

There's a longer version here, with several members having issues with the quality of the oval tracks. The thread is a few years old, so it's possible something has improved in that time. But I kinda doubt it. Which is too bad, because the oval tracks used to be a good option for a handling build that wouldn't break the budget.
Dr Diff Offest Kit With Oval Track Springs

-
Back