Rear Steer Rack and Pinion

-
there is a guy on mopars from across the pond that has 1 on his car.. but on the pass. he has pics of how it is done nice looking set up.. do a search on moparts under rack it may pop up..:D

things can be done just have to think outside the box sometime .. not everybody can just shot a pocket full of money out all the time...

I do on my 62 Valiant slant 6 race car.I used a Toyota Corrola rack.Fine for the strip.Guzzi Mark

Get a small rack from a Geo Metro, about as small as they come. mount hard across your pan where the old center link was and some how graft your tie rods to the rack. Then youll have to figure out how to make the double U joint tie in to your steering column. Its going to be right under your gas pedal so its a sharp angle. Bump steer? Sure.....or else put it across the front inside your K like MAgnum Force does. Then flip your spindles so they face "forward" and deal with the brake line issue. I think your turning circle about doubles and you gain needed narrow A body space for headers but that is about it.

Rear steer rack shouldn't cause bump steer. Its moving the rack to the front that causes bump steer. Simply switching the lower ball joints around doesn't work. There is a old thread here with lots of info about front rack and effect on steering geometry.
The most effective method fo attaching a steering column is the same way its done in other cars, first universal joint under the dash. That means altering the steering coulmn, altering the lower mounting plate, firewall, etc..

Rear steer rack shouldn't cause bump steer. Its moving the rack to the front that causes bump steer. QUOTE]

Mounting the rack in front of the cross member in and of itself will not cause bump steer.............front or rear mount either could cause bumper steer. Bump steer is controlled by the angle of the tie rods compared to the angle of the lower control arm.

And insure that it turns left when you turn the steering wheel ccw, or else learn to drive it backwards and nobody else will be able to borrow or steal your car.

Did that when I put a rack from a Morris Minor in a Bugeye sprite,one rack mounts in front,the other behind.I was 16 and actually drove the car around the block hopeing I could get used to it.NOT.Ended up adjusting old one and put it back in.Guzzi Mark

-
Back