Rear suspension recommendations?

-

Belchfire

Reaction score
Hi all-have tried 3 different setups on my '75 Duster rear and am unhappy with all of them. What would you suggest for a setup that gives me good launch control (I have an 8 1/4 rear with 3.55 SG and adjustable pinion snubber), great cornering(I have KYB Gas-a-just shocks, swaybar, and JCWhitney springs), and add 1 inch lift for the 255/60/15 BFG TA's I have on now? I tried air shocks but they added too much lift when I put the pressure in that I needed for control, had traction bars which worked fine but decided I didn't like the look(that's when I made the pinion snubber), and lengthened the shackles an inch for the clearance, putting on Cuda shocks as they're supposedly an inch longer than A-body shocks. I still have a car that wallows in turns and has too soft a ride. Are the springs the culprit, or should I have stayed with A-body shocks even after lengthening the shackles? Anyone who has his A-body set up with the goals I have in mind, could you point me in the right direction? I'm running a 325-hp 318 with 100 shot nitrous, don't really race but do enjoy canyon carving. Thanks in advance.

The long shackles aren't helping you any. The lower the rear sits the better, It keeps the center of gravity down which keeps it fron leaning in the corners.

Edelbrock AIS shock are said to be a great piece, I plan on running a set on my Dart. Sway bars will be a big help. Its not going to be easy to get it to hook and handle well though.

Depends on $$$. A triangulated 4 link would definately do the job. RMS makes nearly a bolt in one for Abodies. Coilover shocks give a ton of adjustability and some ride height control.

I've read a few posts that suggest putting additional clamps on the front of the leaves of the rear springs. The goal is to stiffen the front part of the spring. It should not be as effective as a traction bar in controlling spring wind-up, but also wouldn't compromise the ride as much. The additional plusses would be, it's cheap and nearly invisible.

Depends on $$$. A triangulated 4 link would definately do the job. RMS makes nearly a bolt in one for Abodies. Coilover shocks give a ton of adjustability and some ride height control.

thats what i'm running. car handles awesome ont he street and squats kinda like a 4 link at the track

For carving up the road, the thickest sway bars should be found and used along with agressive shocks. The KYB's are a nice upgrade, but I don't think they'll cut the mustard for the description you gave. Wide tires on all 4 corners of course.

However, this is all the things you don't want for a great launch except wide rear tires.

Shorter shackles like mentioned would be good to use. I understand tire clearance is a problem with that move. Mini tubs?

Thanks for all the advice-I am running a front swaybar with poly bushings, custom made strut rods(40% bigger than stock)and big block torsion bars. Anyone have any luck with shock extensions? A 4-link setup is probably not in the budget but are there any other shocks that might be an upgrade from the KYB's? Anyone have any luck with Mancini-type XHD springs that supposedly give an inch lift?

I know a few guys here run the mancinis. i ordered a set that should be here any day now. i have heard nothing but good. as far as shocks it might sound crazy but have you looked at rancho rs9000's? they are adjustable so you just set them up how you want. only hard part is finding the size you need. i ordered the book and just matched them up.

Hi all-have tried 3 different setups on my '75 Duster rear and am unhappy with all of them. What would you suggest for a setup that gives me good launch control (I have an 8 1/4 rear with 3.55 SG and adjustable pinion snubber), great cornering(I have KYB Gas-a-just shocks, swaybar, and JCWhitney springs), and add 1 inch lift for the 255/60/15 BFG TA's I have on now?

You are asking for mutually exclusive goals.

Raising the car is diametrically opposed to good handling in corners.

The best setup for a dragstrip launch will also not be the best setup for cornering.

Also consider, the front end setup affects both goals, also in opposite ways.

You need to figure out your priorities first. It is possible to get very good handling with an adequate launch (assuming you have some power). But you aren't going to get an all-out drag racing launch from a car set up for cornering. Raising the rear is probably a bad idea in either case.

My two cents...:snakeman:

-
Back