Rebuildable LA Fuel Pump

-

65 Dartman

1 of None 65 Dart Sedan Delivery
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Was there ever a LA rebuildable fuel pump made. I’ve read of certain RB rebuildables but have not seen anything for a LA motor

if you crack open a turret style Carter pump, youll find a spring, a diaphragm and 3 pressed in check valves. I've come across 2 that were not working and I found a check valve had come loose in both. never seen a diaphragm go bad but it could happen on a very dry pump in long term storage.

Yeh, Carter. Look for one with screws holding it together. That may not mean you can actually buy parts for it!!!

Where do you get the rebuild kits for the Carter pumps? I have a smallblock 6902 that I would like to rebuild.

15-20 years ago I bpught a Valiant that had a fuel pump screwed togeter. It was a Carter fuel pump.

I have used Then and Now for kits to rebuild Carter fuel pumps.

Products | Then and Now Automotive

Older Mopars (like my 56 Plymouth) came with rebuildable Carter fuel pumps with the screw together cases. Later on, these got replaced by cheap, non-rebuildable pumps except for 426 hemis and the like. For a 340, you got a non-rebuildable cheap pump stock, for more, you had to look in the aftermarket to get Carter high performance replacement pumps. These all (?) have 3/8" inlet and outlets, while the earlier factory poly V8 pumps had 5/16. HP pumps might also have had heavier duty internal springs, but other than the inlet/outlet sizes, the early non-hipo Carter pumps pretty much looked just like the aftermarket hipo Carter pumps.

Last edited:
Here's a couple pix of the Carter fuel pump that was OEM for early poly V8s (right), next to a modern Carter street/strip pump (left).

20211117_131808.jpg

20211117_131834.jpg

By the way, the Carter street/strip pump that was in my 65 Barracuda 340 for years (actually, the one pictured above), just quit working recently. Well, I had a new Carter street/strip pump I got off ebay a while back, put it in, and it didn't work either. So I put in a NOS early poly fuel pump I also had got off ebay, and it works. I just ordered a rebuild kit from Then and Now, will put it in one of the non-working HP pumps and see how it goes. The poly pump works fine, but it does have the 5/16 inlet/outlet, and I'm running 3/8 line, so I'd rather have the HP pump.

Edelbrock used to sell a kit 1799. But looks like they discontinued it. It would work on Holley pumps.

-
Back