Rebuilding 902 heads

-

lester702

Reaction score
I have a pair of 902 heads that look pretty good and just need cleaned up and need new valves. Where could I find new valves at?

I have a pair of 902 heads that look pretty good and just need cleaned up and need new valves. Where could I find new valves at?
Stock or swirl polished stainless ?
$Low end or high end$ ?
Builder valves are cheap.
Kind of need to know what you're going to do with this engine ..as in the cam, and spring... the performance level you expect. Mancini,e bay, elgin, engine pro, ferrea, milodon, manley,pbm,Hughes, etc all have them.

I got 8 standard Melling 360 exhaust valves delivered to me in Ontario two days after I ordered them for just over 100 bucks!
Rock auto.
Shipping should be cheaper for you in America.

$Low end or high end$ ?
Kind of need to know what you're going to do with this engine ..as in the cam, and spring... the performance level you expect. Mancini,e bay, elgin, engine pro, ferrea, milodon, manley,pbm,Hughes, etc all have them.
You forgot Edelbrock, SI Valves, maybe a few others :poke: :p

Decide on camshaft and valve sprAngs first, then match up the valves accordingly. You don't want a stock type bulider valve handling 175 seat pressure and 350 open, for example.

Last edited:
$Low end or high end$ ?
I want to do a street/strip build or just a nice hot rod. I'm looking at a cam from Hughes that is a hydraulic flat tappet. It's 222/226 with 110 lobe separation. I don't really have specific power goal in mind right now. Maybe something between 300-400?

If you get that cam, get their matching springs and retainers. You can get a set of Elgin replacement valves for 140.00 on ebay. I have used them in a 440. They work fine. If you want better, get some stainless 2.14, 1.81 valves for more power. And more cost.
I want to do a street/strip build or just a nice hot rod. I'm looking at a cam from Hughes that is a hydraulic flat tappet. It's 222/226 with 110 lobe separation. I don't really have specific power goal in mind right now. Maybe something between 300-400

If you want better, get some stainless 2.14, 1.81 valves for more power. And more cost.
With supporting port work. Not so much on the exhaust, but it takes quite a bit of work to get the production iron heads to make use of a 2.14 intake. If I’m not mistaken, there’s no significant flow gain with a 2.14 valve on the intake from a 2.08 unless the intake seat is sunk and it puts the seat height back where it’s supposed to be.

I have a 499" RB that has a massive amount of port work done. The short side walls are pushed out to where it requires epoxy and .485" offset intake rockers. I still run the stock size valves because there is nothing to gain from installing the larger valves. If there were gains to be had I would have used the larger valves.

Unless you have something seriously wrong with your valves the stock OEM 3/8" are a good quality piece. If you want to go to 1-piece stainless steel valves I am an SI valve dealer and can set you up with several options.

Tom

-
Back