Rebuilding my ride.

-
It's been a little bit, but i'm nearly there. This morning i ordered a new set of gauges and hopefully they'll be here soon.

I didn't order the one's i listed earlier, but i'll have pics when i get it installed.

The gauges finally came today and now i can begin getting everything buttoned up.

I went w/ speedhut gauges. Silver-chromish trim, their "muscle car" font, and the red pie markers from their ford gt gauges.

Attachments

• Vacaville-20130815-00063.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 182
  • Vacaville-20130815-00068.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 180
  • Vacaville-20130815-00070.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 182
It nearly lives. I have to hook up the temp sensor wire, oil pressure sensor wire, volt gauge sensore wire, and customize an under dash panel to fit with the new fuse panel.

Attachments

• Vacaville-20130829-00086.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 168
good work! your car wont be the same as everyone elses....

nice job on the gauges....but where is the auto fire extinguisher button?

I especially like the red area on the gauges....unique and very cool.

I especially like the red area on the gauges....unique and very cool.

Thanks, it was one of my "must have ideas" since the "pie" as they call it was made for gauges for the Ford GT. Which happens to be my ultimate dream car.

nice job on the gauges....but where is the auto fire extinguisher button?

Thanks, and LOL. I can't afford an onboard extinguisher system. Next paycheck i'm gonna spring for a nice 2.5lb haletron extinguisher to keep behind the seat.

And besides i think i doubled the install time with all my safety checks. Everytime i hooked up something, it was: turn on, check for fire, turn off, check for fire, repeat two more times. Even on wednesday when its all together, i'm gonna let the car idle in my driveway for 10-20min, check for fire/leaks, do a trip around the block, check again, one more test drive, then maybe i'll feel at ease driving it somewhere.

I sure as hell don't want things to go down like my friend's friend's chevelle. He had a 71/72 chevelle wagon and it caught fire under the dash when he was driving home. Local FD took 20min to arrive and the car burnt to the ground. :(

good work! your car wont be the same as everyone elses....

Thanks. Luckily that's always the case with protouring mopars. If its not a E-body, you're not the same as everyone else. Now i've just separated myself a little more. :D

It lives! I finished up the last bits of the gauge wiring, minus one hitch. The temp gauge sender snapped when i was lightly snugging down the sender wire. expletives were uttered and a tool may or may not have had some serious air time.

I didn't take it anywhere though, I'm still a little paranoid about a fire and it doesnt help that there is a ton of oil on the headers.(magnums w/ hedman headers make for messy oil changes). So once it warms up, it pours smoke and smells funny. Making me think that something has ignited.

I did drive it up my street a little and its a bit of a handful with the efi. Throttle response is instant so at low speeds it'll bark the tires without trying.

[ame=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v661/ColoradoZQ8/IMG_0153.mp4]
th_IMG_0153.jpg
[/ame]

The Professional Products,550-ish,MSD,525. As quoted by Scummit.

yeah what he said,how much power that efi setup good for?

off the shelf is 550hp. However, its a 1000cfm throttle body and supposedly with bigger injectors(which i have should the need arise) they claim it will support up to 1000hp.

If i can figure out how to do a turbo and keep power steering, maybe we'll test that claim. haha.

I was suppose to drive my car yesterday, but i found a funny/scary problem. I started up my car and turned my steering wheel and i started hearing "clickclickclickclickclick"

Which got me all freaked out that something was grounding out/arcing. Turns out: the last owner didn't hook up the horn when he put on the aftermarket steering wheel. and the horn wire would ground out when i turned the wheel.

wow this thread is out of date.

So here goes, i've put 25 miles on the car and other than a few tuning hiccups, i'm loving the efi. While thats not much for mileage, part of it is my busy schedule and the other part is a fear of the car catching fire again.(i really hope that goes away, maybe once i get haletron fire extinguisher in it)

Unfortunately as i mentioned in another thread, the gas tank started leaking so the car is parked again with a new tank on order. It should be here shortly after Xmas. When it comes i'll be making the decision to install it as is, add a weld on sump, or cut into the tank to fit an in-tank pump.

On top of that, i started hunting around for a manual transmission and found someone who sold me a tr3550 for 800 bucks shipped. Which may be a big win or a disaster since buying a transmission from across the country is always sketchy. But i figure if it has a blown part or two, it shouldnt be more than 1500 to have a shop repair. So i still come out ahead of buying a TKO600.(plus i've read these shift a little better)

I've been putting it off, but soon my giant brick of an alternator will be gone. The mounting plate is crooked which caused the belts to squeal & chew themselves up.

Using the info from this site, i went to the junkyard and found a good 120amp denso alternator from a 95' jeep cherokee 5.2
http://home.roadrunner.com/~raffica/denso_swap.htm#bracket

I walked through the yard for 20min and found a GM pulley that will fit. between mon-wed my brackets will come and i can begin putting it together.

35 bucks sounds a hell of a lot better than 100+ for a modified squareback. And if it ever goes out during a trip, a high amp denso alternator is easily found at a parts store. vs. finding a squareback that has the amperage to support my ignition/efi/gauges/etc

-
Back