Rebuilding my ride.

-
It's so close now!!

Today i replaced burned fuel line, pressure tested the fuel system, cleaned up the wiring with more loom, changed the oil/filter, gapped/installed the spark plugs, re-did the hei & relay mount since it was chipping(cheap paint), and mocked up where i want the e-coil.

All i need now is to wire the harness to the efi, wire the hei ignition, run the spark plug wires, and then it will be ready to start up.

Attachments

• Vacaville-20130620-00025.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 293
  • Vacaville-20130620-00026.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 291
It's so close now!!

Today i replaced burned fuel line, pressure tested the fuel system, cleaned up the wiring with more loom, changed the oil/filter, gapped/installed the spark plugs, re-did the hei & relay mount since it was chipping(cheap paint), and mocked up where i want the e-coil.

All i need now is to wire the harness to the efi, wire the hei ignition, run the spark plug wires, and then it will be ready to start up.
cool,cant wait to hear it run......:razz:

cool,cant wait to hear it run......:razz:

I just can't wait to drive it again. Its been sitting for 2 months or more now. And i have to say, every time i'm out and about and see a modern muscle car/sports car i feel jealous that i haven't driven mine in so long.

But after this little bit of wiring, two more things to go(for now). speedhut or new vintage gauges and a rebuilt 904 or 727

that alternator ,is that one of those big *** ones they had on the diplomat cop cars?

The 90 amp,86-88 Dimples,most likely. Actually,Mopar Action,did a article years back.E -Berg,was *** anal about it. Good article.

that alternator ,is that one of those big *** ones they had on the diplomat cop cars?

*big **** is an understatement. Its huge and weighs twice what you'd expect it to.

The curious thing is, i think this is a factory optioned part. My car *had* the heavy duty wiring where the alt. charge wire did not go through bulkhead connector. It went through a separator hole in the firewall.

Its gonna be axed because the heavy bracket doesnt work well on a magnum(taller deck i believe). So we had to tweak the bracket and it tries to throw the alt. belt at 5000-6000rpm.

Plans are to do this:
http://home.roadrunner.com/~raffica/denso_swap.htm

i had one of those denso alts.it tested bad.think i tossed it.

i had one of those denso alts.it tested bad.think i tossed it.

I'm just gonna get a new/rebuilt one. I tried finding one at the junkyard and it was kind of a crapshoot.

I would do a standard squareback, but i don't know if you can get a good two wire 100amp squareback for the price of a denso swap. Plus if it craps out on a trip, every parts store will have that alternator

I'm just gonna get a new/rebuilt one. I tried finding one at the junkyard and it was kind of a crapshoot.

I would do a standard squareback, but i don't know if you can get a good two wire 100amp squareback for the price of a denso swap. Plus if it craps out on a trip, every parts store will have that alternator
yeah,thats the better plan thats for sure.kinda wanted the denso for saving wieght.but it cant be much lighter then my stock piece...

Love the color, can't tell if its green or grey though? I'm seriously color blind, it just looks "right" and awesome for a duster.

Love the color, can't tell if its green or grey though? I'm seriously color blind, it just looks "right" and awesome for a duster.

Thanks, its gray, but has a hue of green in it. Its clearly gray in this old dyno video:
[ame=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v661/ColoradoZQ8/dusterdyno.mp4]
th_dusterdyno.jpg
[/ame]
click to view

How is the gauge replacement coming?

The gauges are on hold until the car runs. My folks are in the process of finding a company to re-roof their old house. So being able to move my car out of the way is priority 1.

I do have a gauge cluster in mind:
NewVintage1969seriesset.jpg

Some may argue they are a little mustangy, but i think the font is perfect for any muscle car era ride.

Do you have a link to the gauges?

Well i hit a bit of a snag, turns out the spare ecu is junk. So come monday i'll be forking out 400 bucks to replace it.

But on the bright side, the new ecu will have spark control. So when i get an msd box i could hook it through the efi and have a system that will like forced induction.(incase i decide i want a turbo over nitrous)

that sucks about the ecu.spark control will be cool though

Magnum dust,you wanted power adder option,in the beginning. Good find. Like the gauges,too.

that sucks about the ecu.spark control will be cool though

yeah, though i'm not gonna use it for awhile. I came to the realization that this car is running me dry. So the hei is gonna be on the car for a year or so while i get other things in order.

Magnum dust,you wanted power adder option,in the beginning. Good find. Like the gauges,too.

Thanks, i mean the non-spark control would work with f/i, but with spark control you can have a more streetable setup.

So non-picture update, i bit the bullet and spent 520 bucks for a new ecu, harness, and data cable. It should be here tomorrow.

Then middle of this month i'm gonna spring for gauges and a wiper switch.

My plan at the moment is to get it running, the gauges/switch will finish my interior, find a 904 to rebuild and put in, and then put on some sway bars.

Then the car will be "done" while i figure out the suspension setup. Which literally depends on if i can do a turbo with power steering on the stock K or if i need to get an HDK/alterkation system.

Hey Magnumdust, you are on Bayarearacing.com right? I believe I have the same username on there that I do here, but maybe it says 410 instead of 360. Where are you located? I am from San Jose, but live in SoCal now. Carl looks great! Did you ever get a chance to do a MPG comparison for the EFI and the carb?

Hey Magnumdust, you are on Bayarearacing.com right? I believe I have the same username on there that I do here, but maybe it says 410 instead of 360. Where are you located? I am from San Jose, but live in SoCal now. Carl looks great! Did you ever get a chance to do a MPG comparison for the EFI and the carb?

yeah i am, but i havent been there lately.

I'm in vacaville at the moment, though likely headed to sacramento in the beginning of next year.

And nope, no mpg comparison. I know the carb'd setup would average 10-12 to a tank. highway/street never seemed to matter. I was planning to do the mpg comparison, but the car went up in flames after i got roughly 4-6 miles on the efi system(including the test drives around the block) :(

So close today. My new ecu came in, installed it to the throttle body, installed the system, set the reluctor gap on the distributor, loaded a tune, and went to crank it.

All i heard was "bzzzz" checked it with a volt meter and there was virtually no drop at all when trying to crank. Checked the wire going from the solenoid to the starter and sure enough, the insulation was pretty much melted off from the fire. What i *think* happened is that without the ignition or efi wired up, the car could turn over on that wire. However, the load of the new systems is too much for the melted wire. So when i get it paid i'm gonna order a new wire.

My ron francis kit came with a wire specifically for the starter, but its only like 16 gauge wire and oem is atleast 10 gauge.

Were you using high pressure rated hose and high pressure rated clamps on your fuel system prior to the leak and subsequent fire?

EFI is a different world with different requirements as compared to the low pressure stuff that works fine with a carb .

Were you using high pressure rated hose and high pressure rated clamps on your fuel system prior to the leak and subsequent fire?

EFI is a different world with different requirements as compared to the low pressure stuff that works fine with a carb .

No, I chose to just use pretty blue fuel line so it would match my engine :angry7:

:finga:

It lives!

[ame=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v661/ColoradoZQ8/startup.mp4]
th_startup.jpg
[/ame]

After a new ECU, a few wiring headaches, and resetting the timing(still needs a little adjustment). It starts up and runs.

Now i just need to redo that neutral safety pigtail, add gauges, wire the wipers and it'll be ready to hit the road. :blob:

-
Back