Red Headed Stepchild-75 Swinger LSX Swap

-
Rut roh raggy!!
5bo9as.jpg

Looks nice! :thumbsup: And just so you know.....you officially corrupted me....lol. I'm looking for a low mile 4.8 or 5.3 LS with a 4L60 to take the place of the gutless wonder 4.7 in a Dakota I just bought. Not wanting to make a hot rod truck, but just want it to be dependable. I guess I'll take my turn with the :mob: ...lol.

Looks nice! :thumbsup: And just so you know.....you officially corrupted me....lol. I'm looking for a low mile 4.8 or 5.3 LS with a 4L60 to take the place of the gutless wonder 4.7 in a Dakota I just bought. Not wanting to make a hot rod truck, but just want it to be dependable. I guess I'll take my turn with the :mob: ...lol.

The LS does everything right..... GM nailed it. If you have never had any experience with one it's all good IMO. My dad has a 6.0 Van and he will never sell that van until he is no longer able to drive. And this is coming from someone who bleeds penestars......

JW

John....I agree that the LS motors are awesome in function. They're uglier than a mud fence...but who cares! My company truck is an 06 Silverado with a 5.3. I don't abuse it, but there have been times that I have had to beat it like a borrowed mule...and it's never missed a beat. Say hi to your Dad, and to the OP...sorry for the little hijack here. :)

If you haven't already there are a few people who have done Dakota and Durango ls swaps on the sloppy Facebook page.u could try there for resources/info. Good luck on that swap too.

Finally got the two rears in the mail and the tires for all 4. 165/80/15's up front on the 15x4 wheels with 1.75"bs, and then some 245/60/15's on the 15x8 rears with 4.5"bs. Hoping to get them mounted and balanced and on the car this weekend.
1043kw7.jpg

mijplx.jpg

28tidyt.jpg

345zaya.jpg

How does it run ???!!!!!

Jeff
Lol

Found the wheels and tires for a deal that I couldn't pass up. Less than $700 in the entire setup. All 4 new wheels, new front tires and like new rear tires.

Still have the driveshaft, fuel side, ECU flash. And remote oil filter to do. But she will be running in time for summer.

Lol

Found the wheels and tires for a deal that I couldn't pass up. Less than $700 in the entire setup. All 4 new wheels, new front tires and like new rear tires.

Still have the driveshaft, fuel side, ECU flash. And remote oil filter to do. But she will be running in time for summer.
She looks awesome!

Jeff

In going with the lower profile lsx Intake and the 90mm ls2 throttle body I essentially had no choice but to switch up the orientation of my water pump/accessories a little bit. My fix for that allows me to keep everything I already have, except the water pump. It's the ict billet bracket setup. And it mounts the alternator up on the passenger side, and the power steering pump up higher on the drivers side instead of mounting them both on the driverside, one on top of the other. The new water pump is on the way now, cost me a whopping $50 brand new. And this bracket kit and harmonic balancer install too is on the way as well, for $165 shipped from summit(using my $20 off rebate for buying my oil pan, and $25 I didnt know I had in my paypal) so for less than $250 I'm overhauling the entire front side of the motor to look amazing.
ICT Billet Alternator/Power Steering Relocation Bracket Kits 551397-3
Not only does this fix my fitment issues with the new Intake/throttle body, but looks badass in the process.

Hoping to have the bracket kit, and water pump all I stalled by next weekend.

Last edited:
Well I should be make all kinds of progress this week...key word, should.

Water pump is on the way, ict billet bracket kit is on the way, remote oil filter mount, oil filter, braided lines and fittings are on the way, and the new serpentine belt I'm going to need to run is on the way, as well as the harmonic balancer tool I'm going to need to reinstall that.

Trying to put my blinders on and only order stuff I need to get this this thing fired up. Gotta stay away from the shiney things.

For the new bracket kit in the mail
2dj7a60.jpg

4kv5o7.jpg

But it wasn't all happy happy joy joy. I did learn that the manifolds I have on now won't fit this bracket setup. So either some down and forward manifolds or some normal orientation ones that are tight enough against the block to allow me to run it normal would be needed.
28rm8u8.jpg

Last edited:
But there is still room to fit a set of forward facing manifolds in there, or simply get a set that would face the normal direction, just gotta measure and see what would clear the power steering box. if only I had a set of those ebay block huggers laying around to test fit, or that hooker turbo manifold setup. I do still polan to tetst fit the stock truck manifolds(facing down and forward) on this probably this weekend or so after I get the rest of the parts on it.
2cmq2b9.jpg

Last edited:
Learn something new every day. I learned that the ict bullet kit I got requires a 68 inch belt to ensure everything is I the right position, and to get rid of the standard idler pulley. However if you're running a factory ls1 car intake or fast lsxr low profile Intake, and a ls2 90mm throttle body, the position. The alternator is put In when the 68 inch belt is put on, it makes contact with the throttle body, not allowing you to connect the plug from the wiring harness.
2wd371s.jpg

To fix this issue they designed a adapter that allows you to rotate the throttle body slightly, and clear everything.
2hnv1wz.jpg

Also. As stated earlier with the addition of the bracket kit, the up and forward manifolds no longer clear(good thing I got them for $80), and now I've mocked up the stock truck manifolds facing forward and down, they didnt clear either. So my search continued, and I came across these. And the company was kind enough to send me the dimensions, so I'll be measuring them tomorrow to see if they will clear, if so they would solve a very man peoples issue with ls headers that will clear the stock steering and allow us to very simply run the exhaust as normal, and wont break the bank. The only issue I may see with these is the steering shaft depending on how that collector is run. Seeing as there is no one I know of that will just ship these to you for a test fit, it may end up having to be a purchase and then return if it doesn't fit. So if that's the case I may have to go through summit or something, whoever has the best return policy just in case.
ibxvdh.jpg

Last edited:
Latest update,

I think a friend and I have come up with a plan to make my $80 manifolds work. The biggest issue being the driverside manifold as you can see above, wont pass by the powersteering pump, so we've come up with a plan. To essentially cut the manifold at the flange and add various lengths of spacers to the 1 3/4" tubes in order to basically aim the manifold past the powersteering pump. Excuse the very rough sketch.
2gsiwie.jpg

But essentially it will be aligned just like this(with the additions were adding of course), but just the side of the power steering pump and allow for me to still mount the turbo over there.
9a3dop.jpg

I would give relocating the P/S pump a first or second look. Fabbing a set of mounts / brackets to relocate the pump is cake compared to modifying a header the amount that this one needs.

Just my opinion....yours may differ.

I would give relocating the P/S pump a first or second look. Fabbing a set of mounts / brackets to relocate the pump is cake compared to modifying a header the amount that this one needs.

Just my opinion....yours may differ.
It will be 4 spacers, one will be about 1 1/2 - 2" long on cylinder #1, while the one for cylinder 7 will be maybe a 1/4-1/2". I dove in head first on the bracket kit because I really loved the way it looks and flows, versus the horrendously ugly factory brackets. This was a purely cosmetic choice and not a requirement. So anyone taking notes, please dont feel that you have to go this route.

But I'm simply just going to have someone throw some welds on. There for me and call it a day. Then I can continue moving forward on the fuel system.

Well tonight I got my Tb adapter in the mail. Right away I discovered that it has an issue with hitting the brace on the back of the water pump.
2cz9bew.jpg

I called them and said they had never had never heard of anyone having an issue like that. But I told them I could make it work . They were kind enough to let me keep the adapter, refund me my money and are sending me some free swag in the mail. Then I grounded down the last little hump part and made it flat, therefore it now works.
nzri4j.jpg

rm8zdh.jpg

Last edited:
Got started on the remote oil filter lines today, as well as getting the proper lengths on the new pieces that will be added to the manifold runners.
Still trying to decide on a single 80mm or two 60-62mm??
14c8i1z.jpg

-
Back