Red Headed Stepchild-75 Swinger LSX Swap

-
Got the extensions added on to each runner this weekend with the help of my measuring/placement skills, and my twins welding skills(one thing I havent learned to do yet). And it now clears the powersteering pump.
osy814.jpg

ztgqyt.jpg

1zbcq9y.jpg

I haven't died, and the project wasn't abandoned everyone. Still plugging along, waiting on some smaller fuel system parts, some funds for the biggest parts left, the fuel tank/drive shaft/ hotside fab. Will keep you all posted.

So anyone who is ready for a laugh, this is essentially how I came up with the size for the spacers on the driverside manifold. Went to home depot, got some PVC pipe and essentially cut them to the length they needed to be to ensure the correct angle and then taped em off until j was able to cut the actual exhaust pieces to the correct length and weld in place.
2ai3uki.jpg

New parts did start showing up. Got the fuel pressure regulator in. Some may say it isnt one of the bigger name brand pieces, but my brother has run it on alcohol, at 68 psi, on his sprint car for over an entire season and had zero issues. So it's worth a shot in my book because he beat the hell out of that thing at the track and it never missed a beat.
2vsfa06.jpg

Laugh? That's a brilliant idea. It might not be a bad idea to make a heat shield for the PS reservoir, to help keep from boiling the fluid. Keep pluggin at it! :thumbsup:

Laugh? That's a brilliant idea. It might not be a bad idea to make a heat shield for the PS reservoir, to help keep from boiling the fluid. Keep pluggin at it! :thumbsup:
I figured it was an easy way to ensure my cuts were exactly how they needed to be. I'll be making a heat shield and ceramic coating it like the manifolds will be.

Baby steps. Got the oil filter housing mounted yesterday. Luckily I had some hardware laying around that matched the stuff that came with the mounting hardware. Clearance is a little tight, but I'm going to touch the k member with a grinder right on that corner piece to provide another 1/4" of clearance or so. Going to finish up the two -10 feed and return lines from the pan this weekend too.
16bxago.jpg

Ta da!!! Got everything for the oil filter setup done. Both -10 braided lines complete. And finally the motor has oil in it for good. Turned the motor over a few times to get it cycled through and ensure there weren't any leaks.
2qtd6vo.jpg

2ns9gz7.jpg

28u0eit.jpg

14ikh7p.jpg

Well I got my flex-plate hole elongated the 1/8" to accomidate the th400 torque converter(converter had the have the 11.5" bolt pattern to do so in order to avoid buying an aftermarket flex-plate). cleaned up the converter and got them both prepped for this weekend/next week.

I also ordered a bunch of small stuff I needed for the swap.
New starter(old one tested bad)
New converter to flexplate bolts
20 feet of -6an braided line for running the fuel system.
a flexible braided engine oil dipstick
a flexible braided transmission dipstick
also narrowing down people to reflash my ecu so I can send it off this weekend or early next week, and hopefully fire this thing up early june.

So should have plenty o updates this weekend, early next week.

Got these in the mail today
New flexplate bolts, New converter to flexplate spacer that's needed to correctly mate the th400 to the ls, Factory style fuel line quick disconnect fitting that converts over to -6an line, and a -6an 100 micron fuel filter
IMG.jpg

f51z4w.jpg

Last edited:
Well today I got the trans filter and gasket, dex/mercfluid, new torque converter bolts, and the engine oil and trans dipsticks. Engine dipstick is installed, the flexplate is on and torqued down. Thanks to a mistype on ebay i think I got my catch can setup for $3 shipped. It was a price reduction, but I was watching it for one much higher price and it was reduced to $3 on their last one and I hit buy it now before they could change the price back and got the last one for $3.

2sblobl.jpg

Last edited:
Well the tanks inc FI tank, straps and sending unit are otw. Just gotta save some more duckies for the 400lph wabro pump setup. But this should help expedite the wrapping up of this project.
34z0w0h.jpg

Well I'm officially pooped for the day. Got off work and decided to get asn mk uch done as possible before dinner. Soooooo I dropped the trans out of the car(replaced the filter and pan gasket yesterday). Filled the trans up with fluid today. Installed the converter. Installed the flexible dipstick, added the spacer to line it up with the flywheel, then decided to get it all back in the car for the final time(I hope).
3538f3d.jpg

This is essentially what that $22 sleeve looks like on the converter before reinstalling everything in the car.
9fpqf9.jpg

x21hy9.jpg

Here you can see that little spacer installed completely. Lining up the th 400 converter to the ls1 flexplate.
24ymr1y.jpg

Here I removed the factory th 400 fittings for the coolant lines because I ordered the adapter fittings from ict billet that thread in and allow me to run -6an lines to it.
29w3fvk.jpg

Here is kinda where both dipsticks will be. I'll need a spacer on the trans one to keep it off the firewall a little bit for clearance and the oil dipstick there incase the turbo later needs to have the down pipe run back that way.
670bj8.jpg

Last edited:
DAMN!!!!!!

You get more done before dinner than I get done in a full weekend!!!! LOL

Keep up the good work.

Ohhhhhh well now ^ THAT ^ Explains it all. That's why you have all this time - You're in the Navy.
Please tell me that you are at least "Enlisted"?
AHAHAHAHAH
Lol, had to go there when I saw the Marine Corp signature. I think the fact that I'm doing the work myself answers that question already.

Lol, had to go there when I saw the Marine Corp signature. I think the fact that I'm doing the work myself answers that question already.

YEAH!!! All in fun Brother!

Thank you for your service. And keep up the AWESOME work on the car - I am watching on the edge of my seat.

More parts, more progress.

New starter came in.
2vmaiyq.jpg

New tank inc tank, straps, anti squeal liners. And sending unit came in. This tank looks amazing, now I gotta save some monies up for the 400lph pump setup that drops into this.
v75fgm.jpg

2cf3x3s.jpg

9to2o2.jpg

2cf3x3s.jpg

Got my fittings for the trans installed, now just gotta make the lines.
xmu5ts.jpg

Got my fitting for the powersteering pump and started that line. The other fitting for the power steering box should be here this weekend. But the pressure hose will be pretty short and to the point.
s4vw53.jpg

Last edited:
Got the trans support and trans xmember situated and cut today. Have to get some welding done on it and itll be ready to go.

But here is my current driveline angles measured at the trans.
73gdom.jpg

And at the rear end.
2nh2luv.jpg

Well dummy me ordered the wrong fitting for the steering box. So I gotta order the right one. On the hunt for a 57 1/2 to 58 " driveshaft as well, and I also have my flasher working on a flash for my ECU. Similar to a ls7 stock tune with the ls7 cam and fast intake. Should be good enough for a startup.

Last edited:
Double check your polit hub on the converter I had to Machine For clearance on my nephews swap because I did not want it to push on the thrust bearing.Some guys just put washers between converter and flywheel to get there clearance they need.I check that stuff close now after buying 1200 crank for my BBM .

Well today I finally got the correct length bolts for bolting the flexplate to the torque conveter, so I got that wrapped up.

Also got the old gas tank out and on the ground. Here's a little side by side with the tanks inc one.that big **** stain on the stock one was from the oil the slant 6 leaked underneath the car b4 the swap.
k861g.jpg

Last edited:
Got the trans cross member mocked up again today, since the inch and a half angle iron wasnt enough. But the two inch piece will get her done.
2cym7lw.jpg

-
Back