Red Hot 360???

-

Baghdad Dart

Reaction score
Well, finaly today my son got his 73 duster driving around the yard. Its about 4 years into it. Engine has been opened a few times with a new purple cam going flat, rings, bearings all that good dodo. Now today we got the carb right, the 391 SG works fantastic. Really like that. Anyway, there is a fairly big cam in it now from Crain. With a 180 thermastat and it gets red *** hot fast. EVerything is good, clean, strait, open and tight. But men it gets hot fast. Its an auto, 360, crain cam..kind of big..wide lobe seperiation. Thermastat is installed with the spring and the 180 bulb towards the engine. Springs in the bottom hose too. Timeing is good runs like a champ..no back firing and mean *** rumpty rump..love that cam. Any ideas??

Jeff

Motor is new...been just tuning it for a few weeks..thats all. its gets hot hot..the guage is stuck. But the water shoots out the over flow tube in just a few minutes. The stat is working, I can see the water moving faster when the stats opens and blows faster....then we cut it off. But listen , its not a total rebuild. not like new pistons and all is tight from being completly rebuilt. Just a good going over was all.

Jeff

what kind of gauge? can you give us a temperature? maybe the rad cap doesn't have enough pressure? what psi cap you running?

You just made me think. When we opened the cap the first time today, the small robber gasket that actually seals the cap to the inside neck of the radiator was cracked all the way threw. Its the stock original guage in dash that doesnt work, its always stuck at like 160.

Jeff

first thing i would do is get a good mechanical gauge on that thing so you know where its actually running. i would also put a new 16 psi cap on the rad and see what happens.

Yes Joe, I think you hit the nail just right for me. Getting them first thing in the morning

THANKS
Jeff

are you using an electric fan , no shroud my 73 360 dart overheated constantly with an electric fan when i installed a new factory viscous clutch fan and factory shroud my problem was resolved( shroud)

put the gauge on it first. Its going to run warm till the rings seat. I would worry about it unless its over 200-210*, especially if your not really driving it. You have no air flow through the radiator.

Is there a shroud on it ?

have you burped the system? sometimes they can catch some air pockets in the back of the head because there is no intake crossover like the front even worse if the car sets with a little rake. leave the rad cap off and fire it up let is start to get warm to see if it is pumping water correctly. is this an LA engine or a magnum? what kind of pulley system are you running also? what kind of radiator? and fan sise? lets get the skinny on your whole system to accurately diagnose this pesky prob

-
Back