Remembering Old Drive-In Restaurants

-

HiPoVALIANT

Similar yes but no, not at all like your Grandma's
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
For those old enough to have lived the scene in the 50’s, 60’s and into the 70’s you will remember that it was the best of times! The way it was on Friday and Saturday nights. The original “Cruise Night” when we definitely drove (and raced!) more than we parked. There were no lawn chairs. Post your pics and memories. :burnout:

Attachments

• Historic Driveins01.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 327
  • Historic Driveins02.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 340
  • Historic Driveins16.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 344
  • Historic Driveins18.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 336
  • Historic Driveins41.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 347
Here's a pic from where we used to cruise back in the day.

10734224_688442201270597_3633277032312253971_n.jpg

Today, everyone wants to sit around in their lawn chairs and listen to the American Graffiti soundtrack. Yuk! Let's burn gas and rubber. We can talk about it when we get home.

:glasses8:

Attachments

• Historic Driveins53.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 328
  • Historic Driveins51.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 338
  • Historic Driveins47.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 331
  • Historic Driveins36.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 328
  • Historic Driveins27.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 327
almost makes me miss that first car.. '49 chevie..... naw not really! 1962........

cruis-ins are very active in all pats of s w Mo. of course, nothing like the ole days!!!

Here's a pic from where we used to cruise back in the day.

10734224_688442201270597_3633277032312253971_n.jpg

Today, everyone wants to sit around in their lawn chairs and listen to the American Graffiti soundtrack. Yuk! Let's burn gas and rubber. We can talk about it when we get home.

Right On! We didn't use the old AM radios much. The sound of Ford Flatheads running Smithy mufflers, 265-283 Chevys running Thrushes and cross-ram 413's driving in with open headers was all the music we ever needed.

we still have a 60s themed drive in restaurant about 15min from me cruise it every weekend but there is not nearly the amount of cars as years ago but the kids nowadays just don't get off on that stuff .

we still have a 60s themed drive in restaurant about 15min from me cruise it every weekend but there is not nearly the amount of cars as years ago but the kids nowadays just don't get off on that stuff .

The cars are mostly under sheets in garages.

The drive-ins are one of the reasons I love to go to Spring Fling in LA. Great multi day event including track time at Willow Springs, a cruise to Malibu and evenings at Bob's Big Boy restaraunts. The Bob's in Burbank is nothing short of amazing on Friday's and Saturdays all year long.

The drive-ins are one of the reasons I love to go to Spring Fling in LA. Great multi day event including track time at Willow Springs, a cruise to Malibu and evenings at Bob's Big Boy restaraunts. The Bob's in Burbank is nothing short of amazing on Friday's and Saturdays all year long.

Got a picture of the Bob's Big Boy? Love to see it.

And here is another of the shots from the article (Cruisin' USA, featuring KC and its surrounding suburbs) Brian T borrowed that photo from! It was May 6th through the 8th, 1980. The 70 340 automatic Swinger was so much fun to run around in. We had it set up to spray water or bleech or VHT in front of the rear tires (dispensed from a windshield wiper fluid bottle mounted in the trunk). From a roll with water, you could fool faster and louder cars into thinking the 340 was way more powerful than it should have been. Two of my brothers are in the photo; one in the Swinger and one standing to the left of the Dart. The Poole brothers are the other two guys with the Dart; Mark standing out and Tim in the car. I often think about that weekend and wonder how many of those cars are still around and with their original owners....

Attachments

• Peters 2 may 1980.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 253
  • CC May80.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 279
And another one or two....

Attachments

• page 2.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 243
  • scan0005.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 255
THIS WAS SERVICE! Want some A/C with your fries!

Attachments

• Historic Driveins59.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 221
:glasses7:

Attachments

• Historic Driveins68.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 249
  • Historic Driveins64.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 222
  • Historic Driveins62.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 277
  • Historic Driveins139.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 224
We still have on in Morehead City NC. The women who come out to the cars look like they've been in the salt and sun for 50years. The drive in is called El's. The women are called El's Angels.

Used to have one in Oak Harbor Wa called Kow Korner. When I was stationed here in 1983 the burgers were 3 for $1 on Wednesdays. I know that's not the way back machine or anything but it was a neat place, attracted car clubs. Owners (good peeps) recently retired and it was enough of a local Icon that artists captured it in a charicature type painting, even has one of the fry bags on the back of the picture, we have one hanging in the house.

I think most went away because of the faster drive thru that Americans have went with being in such a hurry for everything.

Attachments

• Historic Driveins185.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 185
  • Historic Driveins115.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 203
  • Historic Driveins106.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 180
  • Historic Driveins87.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 173
  • Historic Driveins80.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 179
A&W in Orlando, Fl in the early sixties. It was the cruise to, and cruise thru, spot on weekends. Car hops on skates and a large back row where you could park and bench race while you nursed a nickel root beer. You could watch hotrods and customs all night.

The Sonic drive-ins near here used to alternate sponsoring cruise nights on Saturday, but Asian cube-cars with their ill-mannered owners, flashing neon, and thumping sound systems drove away the old car owners who supported the cruises. Now the Sonics are mostly empty on weekends after Grandpa and Grandma take the grand kids home.

if i ever win the lotto ill open a massive cruisin burger joint for gear heads. dd cars park in the street or out back. hotrods get special parking up front under the canopy. i missed all of those old timer events and dream of how cool it all was that i can remember as a small kid. milkshakes, hot tamalies, burgers and corndogs, chilli dogs, rootbeer, hot waitress staff with big ol hooters. place could be a true memory lane to have today. bring back old america and its love of cars.

id call it turbo's spool in, grab a gear get off your rear and get in here with your honey and hotrod. members get a discount with hotrod only.

brianT nice shot of noland road there. it hasnt changed all to much looks wise from that pic. lol independence just isnt what it could be with all that if it was still going on today.

..The 'Suds' is in Greenwood Indiana

The other pics are from here in Columbus, Indiana

Attachments

• DSCF3312.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCF3308.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 168
  • DSCF3311.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 158
  • CudaSuds.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 159
  • DSCF0075.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 170
  • 049.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 188
  • 048.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 190
  • 029.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 159
  • 028.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 176
A&W in Orlando, Fl in the early sixties. It was the cruise to, and cruise thru, spot on weekends. Car hops on skates and a large back row where you could park and bench race while you nursed a nickel root beer. You could watch hotrods and customs all night.

The Sonic drive-ins near here used to alternate sponsoring cruise nights on Saturday, but Asian cube-cars with their ill-mannered owners, flashing neon, and thumping sound systems drove away the old car owners who supported the cruises. Now the Sonics are mostly empty on weekends after Grandpa and Grandma take the grand kids home.

Yes it is a sad state of affairs these days. We have found that it is necessary to really out number the Tuners and they eventually do get the message and find their own turf. You should also approach a Sonic owner that still wants to sponsor a cruise night, review the problems that are being detrimental to his business and have your club or group run a gate including a cut-off year, with preferred parking for entrance. We do pre '90 domestic which in itself doesn't make me happy but I'm gettin' old and need to accept the times (within reason). :evil3:

Attachments

• Historic Driveins52.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 132
  • Historic Driveins158.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 108
  • Historic Driveins156.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 107
  • Historic Driveins146.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 136
  • Historic Driveins162.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 108