repainting- OEM Rally Wheel color- opinions?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
Has anyone painted their Rally Wheels in anything other than silver? What do you think of them?

My replica 15x8 1970 style Rally Wheels from Wheel Vintiques, (purchased back in 2000) are now sporting patchy surface rust where the OEM looking coat of Argent used to be. My car sat outside for years while I had other distractions in life but it was on pavement, away from salt...oh well.

So I'm going to get to work sanding, primering and repainting them in time for Spring.

The black steel wheel look seems to be in style right now...how do you suppose these would look in black, without the trim rings but with the charcoal centers?

What about a gunmetal grey?

Thanks for any opinions and/or pics!

I've seen them in black, dark charcoal grey, and metallic red.

IMO, they look best in silver. It's the brightness that makes them stand out. In the dark colors, the wheel holes disappear and the look is lost, unless you have bright red drums behind them.

Painted the rallye wheels white on out first 67 notch that was white. Red dust shields behind them kept them clean and hid the brakes.

Ive seen them painted body color and personally I think it looks terrible.

Have seen them different colors and to me they look like crap. Even chrome they just don't look right

Great input... I really appreciate it. :)
I consider the folks on this forum to have a good sense of taste based on the hundreds of pics that I have combed through so I really value your opinions.

Definitely leaning towards keeping them silver.

Has anyone tried a gunmetal/dark grey look? What about a non-metallic grey?

Great input... I really appreciate it. :)
I consider the folks on this forum to have a good sense of taste based on the hundreds of pics that I have combed through so I really value your opinions.

Definitely leaning towards keeping them silver.

Has anyone tried a gunmetal/dark grey look? What about a non-metallic grey?

Have seen several different colors and sheen

They look best in the factory color & sheen

Guy did his AAR CUDA. And painted wheels gloss correct color and they didn't look right. They would be more durable, but just not right.

A little darker gray might be ok, but I wouldn't do it.

It is your car do what makes you happy

My crager SS make me happy, I like chrome, but not chrome rally's

I would paint them the light silver that the factory ones originally came with, all other colors look just plain wrong to me......
Chrome looks the worst.
It's your car, do what you want.

My black Demon had black painted rallye wheels with the argent centers for awhile. Never liked the look myself......

These are my 4 new (2 new) Ralleys going on mine, 2 14x7 (powder coated) & 2 original 14 x 5 1/2" & I am painting them in a Silver, just NOT the origianal Mopar silver. Find it to Dark. Going to do them in the silver the 4 I have now are.

Attachments

• DSCF2247.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 750
  • 049.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 636
I asked the same question last year.. And after a long list of everyone giving me their suggestions, I chose the color "Graphite" by Dupli-Color. It was just enough dark to look good and not to light (for my taste) to look like cheap siver spray on.. But to each their own.. Good luck!!
19 Again..

Attachments

• Duster Car .jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 836
I asked the same question last year.. And after a long list of everyone giving me their suggestions, I chose the color "Graphite" by Dupli-Color. It was just enough dark to look good and not toy light (for my taste) to look like cheap siver spray on.. But to each their own.. Good luck!!
19 Again..

Whoa...that's awesome looking. Nice job!
Do you have any more pics of your car?

I saw them in gold on a brown swinger with a vinyl top and silver centers, yuck! I like the argent but ended up painting mine "Steel wheel" seems ok to me. I was leaning toward powdercoating but I dont like the sheen now. The bling is in the trim ring and edge of the Sombrero center.

If you are looking for the cheap way out with a rattle can Dupli-Color makes a good Steel finish Wheel Paint it is Rugged Polyurethane Formula and it is code STEEL WP316 close to color you need

Mine are body color as they were when I purchased the car but I am thinking I will be painting mine argent as well, and eventually I'll have them powder coated.

My friend just repainted some original paint 71 Rallye rims.

Krylon Dull Aluminum was a dead on OE match. Problem was finding it.

If you want the paint to last longer, heat the rim in an oven at 200 degrees for 20 min. Gets the impurities out of surface. Paint and put back in oven between coats. After final coat heat to 300 degrees for 45 min. Should be about bone dry. Extremely more durable than paint at room temperature.

How many cans do you guys typically run through on a wheel repaint? I'm about to order up some STEEL WP316 ....would 2 cans be enough?

Thanks to all for the help!

That would depend on if you are going to do the front, back and inside or just the front as well as how many coats. If you are just doing the front of the 4 wheels you probably can do it with 2 cans but i would get three just because of tilting the can to try to get inside edges when running low

That would depend on if you are going to do the front, back and inside or just the front as well as how many coats. If you are just doing the front of the 4 wheels you probably can do it with 2 cans but i would get three just because of tilting the can to try to get inside edges when running low

Thanks... You make a good point about needing to tip the can and how this could be a problem when running low. I'm going to stick to painting the outside only. IIRC, the Wheel Vintiques replicas are black on the inside and I doubt if I'll ever be showing the car with the wheels off. :)

If you look at the rally's with rings the 1/2 Holes are completed with the reflection in the ring. Silver is how they were designed to reflect. Without rings I really don't think it matters what color they are. I have seen them all colors over the years. With just the center any color you prefer is good. With The rings silver is the look. Although silver looks correct without rings because they came that way on Sizzlers, and Twister's. so what ever looks good to you.

The wheels you buy from Stockton or Wheels Vintique come with a primer that looks silver. They will rust if not painted. Because they already started rusting under the prime. You will be better off getting them blasted and putting epoxy primer and paint . Or powder coat which would be the best for durability.

My friend just repainted some original paint 71 Rallye rims.

Kylon Dull Aluminum was a dead on OE match. Problem was finding it.

If you want the paint to last longer, heat the rim in an oven at 200 degrees for 20 min. Gets the impurities out of surface. Paint and put back in oven between coats. After final coat heat to 300 degrees for 45 min. Should be about bone dry. Extremely more durable than paint at room temperature.

Ace Hardware and Hobby Lobby is where I find it.

-
Back