Replacing Instrument Cluster bulbs with LEDs - Illumination Detail Question - 67 Barracuda

-
I too ran into that issue. Had to put the OE style brake light bulbs back in for the turn signals to work when the headlights were on. This is even using a LED turn signal flasher with the correct black ground wire. Wierd.
Yup!
I gave up on them today.
I disassembled the turn signal housings, cleaned up the lenses, and sprayed the reflective surface Chrome.
I had to dis-and reassemble once more, since I apparently didn't have the bulbs seated all the way, or correctly.
The old bulb receptacles were a PITA to get push in and seated all the way.
And when I went to test the again, I realzed that the housing probably gets a good ground from the screws in the grill support.
(Silly me thinking that becasue there were 2 wires that one was the ground - forgetting about the dual function.)
So a simple screw driver from the housing to the bumper allowed me to test the before reassembling.

I will make a worthy effort to get the tail lights converted to LEDs.
Even with the "newer" matching taillights, the lenses are aged enough to lose significan translucency.

(Ya, I know someone will tell me I should have purchased new lenses. But, all these parts expenses have to end somewhere.)
:realcrazy:

I too ran into that issue. Had to put the OE style brake light bulbs back in for the turn signals to work when the headlights were on. This is even using a LED turn signal flasher with the correct black ground wire. Wierd.
We will see!
I believe the problem is actually "load resistance"......the very low load that LEDs take.
So, if Superbrightleds" recommends that I will try it out and test all other light functions.
We will see!
I believe the problem is actually "load resistance"......the very low load that LEDs take.
So, if "Superbrightleds" recommends that, I will try it out and test all other light functions.

If not, I return all the stuff back for a refund.
The historic posts that I have read noted that manufacturers had not yet perfected an LED bulb that would work for our old cars. (couple of years old posts)
And the one that was noted to work several years ago is no longer available.
So, there is no "simple" plug and play replacement.

Sounds like some basic tests might be useful to solve your problems.

1. Do your bulbs light up if you short across the two flasher terminals with the turn signals on? Is they do, your flasher is likely bad or hooked up wrong.

2. Can you hook up your flasher and a bulb in series directly across the battery to see if it flashes?

A lot of chinesium stuff is bad out of the box. Divide and conquer. Check all your parts first to see if they are good.

It is also possible that the two flasher wires are reversed in the flasher connector.

Sounds like some basic tests might be useful to solve your problems.

1. Do your bulbs light up if you short across the two flasher terminals with the turn signals on? Is they do, your flasher is likely bad or hooked up wrong.

2. Can you hook up your flasher and a bulb in series directly across the battery to see if it flashes?

A lot of chinesium stuff is bad out of the box. Divide and conquer. Check all your parts first to see if they are good.

It is also possible that the two flasher wires are reversed in the flasher connector.
The front turn sisgnal are just fine once I cleaned them up as posted.
And, once I got the bulbs all the way in correctly, they work fine.
So, I feel no need to clutter up the front end any more with load resistors or flashers.

Less than 24 hours, and Superbrightleds has already responded to my trouble shooting question on the taillights.
I will update once they work with me.

Superbright LEDs is suggesting trying "load resistors".
Will try those after I get the Barracuda back.
She's at the shop overnight straighteneing out a few issues, which I will post on another thread.

i guess i'm in the minority in that i like the soft incandescent glow of the stock setup.
I too prefer the OEM coke bottle green illumination produced by incandescent lights behind blue diffusers. I don't think a poll in this forum could prove which side (OEM or LED), is the minority since not every classic car owner, or even all a-body owners participate and/or would respond to the poll.
For the sake of conversation only, I'll add that one of my favorite features in my RAM truck is its black face instruments and all its chrome bezel accents. Of course the aftermarket offers the white screen overlays for those instruments too. The white takes away from the chrome in my opinion. So it boils down to personal preference.
Happy motoring

Last edited:
Superbright LEDs is suggesting trying "load resistors".
Will try those after I get the Barracuda back.
She's at the shop overnight straighteneing out a few issues, which I will post on another thread.
Ok, let’s do a little math on load resistors.
1157 bulb (rear) brake light is 2 amps.
1034 bulb (front) is 1.8 amps.

Led bulbs pull about 0.2 amps

So 2 + 1.8 = 3.8 amps through the flasher.
The led bulbs pull 2 x 0.2 = 0.4 amps

So you need a load resistor that pulls the difference, which is 3.4 amps.

14V divided 3.4A = 3.5 ohm load resistor to pull the same current with the turn signals on.

14V x 3.4A = 47 watts that the load resistor will need to dissipate.

47 watts is a lot of heat. It will take a 100 watt resistor to run safely at 1/2 capacity.

A 100 watt resistor is large and will put off a lot of heat.

My point is that the load resistor is a very brute force method of solving the problem. It also negates one of the best features of the led bulb, that is running on less power.

If you have healthy wiring and the right flasher that is connected properly, your LEDs should work great.

Last edited:
Ok, let’s do a little math on load resistors.
1157 bulb (rear) brake light is 2 amps.
1034 bulb (front) is 1.8 amps.

Led bulbs pull about 0.2 amps

So 2 + 1.8 = 3.8 amps through the flasher.
The led bulbs pull 2 x 0.2 = 0.4 amps

So you need a load resistor that pulls the difference, which is 3.4 amps.

14V divided 3.4A = 3.5 ohm load resistor to pull the same current with the turn signals on.

14V x 3.4A = 47 watts that the load resistor will need to dissipate.

47 watts is a lot of heat. It will take a 100 watt resistor to run safely at 1/2 capacity.

A 100 watt resistor is large and will put off a lot of heat.

My point is that the load resistor is a very brute force method of solving the problem. It also negates one of the best features of the led bulb, that is running on less power.

If you have healthy wiring and the right flasher that is connected properly, your LEDs should work great.
Wow!
That's a lot of electrical math! And I didn't take elec engineering. (just kidding)

Consider that the LED taillights are a single bulb, and dual function.
So, I think that the heat generation is overstated.
A single load equalizer is usually rated at 30 watts, and 6 ohm.
And, you have to have one for each bulb.
The Sylvania ones that I bought at Advanced Auto are rated to handle those big LED off-road light bars.

If they work, and I find them getting too hot, I can always attach an additional heat sink.

Two six ohm load equalizers in parallel is 3 ohms. This is even resistance less than my estimated 3.5 Ohms. Heat generation might not be a big problem as most folks probably won’t have the brake lights or turn signals on for that long. It will be interesting to see how they work When you try it.

Two six ohm load equalizers in parallel is 3 ohms. This is even resistance less than my estimated 3.5 Ohms. Heat generation might not be a big problem as most folks probably won’t have the brake lights or turn signals on for that long. It will be interesting to see how they work When you try it.
Will definately "report in"!

I am going to use gauge face overlaps in white when I replace the dash bezel; as well as upgrade to LEDs.
I have used LEDs in the past to get better Illumunation. But, I have not disassembled the 67 Barracuda dash yet.

The gauge face overlay folks I am considering say to simply use their overlays over top of the OEM faces! i.e., you don't have to remove the OEM faces!
But, if the gauge face lighting is coming from behind the faces, that would be cutting down on the transmitted light.

So, my question is....with the 67 Barracuda gauge faces, is the light coming from the periphery of the gauges (from the sides); or from behind?

This relates to some of the past posts on this Forum about whether the LEDs should have diodes all facing forward; or some diodes on the sides of the LED, scattering the light.
I did the white overlay on the stock face and LED’s. 71Duster Came out great

IMG_6848.jpeg

Taillights work much better with LEDs for me. Much brighter!

I bought the LEDs on Amazon. I just picked some high rated ones. They weren’t that expensive.

I left the front turn signal’s incandescent so my flasher still worked. Get a flasher designed for LED lights if you are having issues. LED flashers often require a ground to work, so don’t forget that. Load resistors are a very crude way to solve the flasher issue.

Don‘t forget to change the emergency flasher too.
What's the difference between the turn signal flasher and the hazard flasher?

If I need to improve my home lighting...yes!
On a car...NO!
:lol:
I’ve been playing with LED’s and home lighting for the past couple years. Seems I am now the go to guy in my area when someone wants them, probably just for a lack of any competition.

982DFE65-25FD-49E4-ABCD-EE953F819CCC.jpeg

D4CCDE2A-B886-4E05-9ACF-5D7D908893D4.jpeg

8D347442-6A6D-478D-9F34-59171CD6DAAD.jpeg

88BB8ED1-26B7-4FB9-8B4F-BD2236C94C0D.jpeg

D8D7C806-5664-44D2-B053-0C662EF4755B.jpeg

Yup!
There's a lot of talk on the web about needing load resistors on the taillights.
Polarity should not be an issue with Superbrightleds. But, load resistance might be.
There are several past threads, even here on FABO about no real good direct replacements for the taillights and turnsignals.

I am willing to keep the front turn signal incandescent; no problem.
When I piddled around today, I went ahead and disassembled them, cleaning the lens and chrome bezels.
The reflectors are toast! I could not clean them up., being badly oxidized.
So, off again to the store for some chrome spray, before I reassemble them.

I emailed Superbrightleds, and will await their recmmendations on the tail/brake lights.
One of the historic thraeds recommended a Sylvania bulb that would work - but is no longer available.
Exacerbated by the fact you can't even get decent 1157 bulbs anymore.

A possible issue with gauge lights is that some "dimmable" LEDs don't do it well. Some dim a little, then go out. Some dim a little...then flicker like a dollar-store disco ball. While amusing, it would probably get annoying in a hurry.

If you leave one regular bulb on the dash light circuit, the LEDs will dim reasonably well. It could be the bulb in your radio. I left incandescent bulbs in my aftermarket gauges.

NO LUCK HERE with LED taillights!

I replaced the 2 flashers with electronic ones.
Everything still worked well.

Tried the LED taillight - no go!
Tried using the load resistors; tried several times since the wire clips suck as connectors....to be sure I had good wire contact - still NO LUCK!

What I did notice when the one side worked while the headlights were on is....it really wasn't all that much brighter to make a big difference in the 67.
So, I'll just be content with the incandescent bulbs.

You might have better, more uniform light output by painting the inside of the housing with flat white rather than silver.

Last edited:
-
Back