Resetting Odometer to 000000

-

2fine69s

69 340-6pak Rag Top
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I had my instrument cluster restored, but neglected to tell them to zero the odometer, and they put it back to the original mileage. I would like to reset it to Zero. Running it forward with a drill, takes forever. Has anyone ever taken a cluster apart and moved the numbers on the odometer?

Get ready for a s*it storm bro. I'd advise delete this post, crack it open and figure it out. Too late now. :-({|=

it can be done but you need to know there are a bunch of tiny gears inside the digit spool. If its not put together right the numbers wont line up in the window. You might find its not right at 100 miles, 1000 miles, 10,000 miles.
If it aint broke don't fix it.

No shitstorm necessary. This is why there's an "EXEMPT" box for the mileage on titles. It's no crime to change the odometer. The crime would come in to misrepresent the mileage......which you've made no mention of having an interest in doing.

Martin, I'm glad you asked because I was wondering the same.

-AlV

No shitstorm necessary. This is why there's an "EXEMPT" box for the mileage on titles. It's no crime to change the odometer. The crime would come in to misrepresent the mileage......which you've made no mention of having an interest in doing.
not to mention the fact that most of our cars odometers have been wrapped, so they don't even show actual mileage anyways.

drill? Use a dremel! 30000 rpm will make the miles fly by....;-)
1000 revolutions per mile on most 60-80 cars...cordless drill at 900 rmp, thats ~ a mile a minute? Get yourself the entire "Victory at Sea" collection on DVD, your going to be here a while......@30000, thats 30 miles a minute, just saying. But youll probably toast your speedo at 30000 rpm, or roughly 1800 MPH.

I took mine apart to zero it with out any problem. have put 18000 miles on it since

Ditto for me. Very easy to do if you don't have "sausage fingers" and you can be careful and gentle.

I did mine to show all zeroes at the time my major resto, engine, trans and rear were completed. I figured that this brought the car back as close to day one as ever. Besides, when I bought the car, the title already said mileage unknown and the odometer didn't work. No harm, no fowl as long as you don't misrepresent it to a future buyer.

I set my demon to all zeros too, and I have shreck fingers.... it was pie.
I took the speedo out of the cluster and removed the sprung clit, then just did it like a combination lock...the tricky part is getting the little pieces between the spools lined back up.it took all of maybe 10 minutes to do tho.

mike bee

o.... sorry.I musta had something else on my braln.butt everything else should be right.

Did it on C-Body assembly too. Removed the odometer as an assembly. Didn't have to remove any clips. A little like a Rubiks cube but once figured out it was easy. Involved rotating the tumblers starting on the left.

-
Back