Resurrection

-

Bane7962

Reaction score
Hi all. I have a project I've decided to undertake: Rebuilding my dad's first car, a '66 Dodge Dart. The poor thing has sat for as long as I can remember in our garage, and I don't think it's been so much as cranked in 20 years. To be honest, I'm a bit overwhelmed, I have some experience with mechanics, but most of it on my Jeep or various military vehicles (ARNG). But I've never done anything like this, so I don't really know where to start. Any advice would be appreciated!

Everybody here is a pic junkie so start there; the more the better. BTW, a most hearty welcome and best of luck. Whatever you need to know......someone here knows.

I'll get some pics up tomorrow night, I'm at drill with the Guard right now. But I'm not even sure where to start with the mechanics. I mean. Throw a battery in and see what happens? Or should I do anything first?

Military and Mopar...2 big ones in the plus column...your service is greatly appreciated !

Thanks man. I'd thought about going active duty, but I wanted to get college out of the way first. And while I'm still here, I'd love to get this thing back on the road. It would mean the world to him. He's stubbornly held on to it forever (much to my mother's frustration lol)

First off I want to say thank you for your military service :salute: and welcome to FABO :rock: As others had stated start with the mechanics. Being able to drive your car helps you stay interested in it. The first think I would do before ever putting the key in the ignition would be an oil/filter change as twenty-plus year old would be :puker:. Also pore Marvel Mystery Oil down each cylinder through the spark plug holes to help free up the rings. The next thing I would do is clean/rebuild the carburetor as old gas will turn into varnish and gum the carb up. Now I would say to crank the engine over a couple of time but not actually start it up the get the fresh oil flowing through the block. Next wil be to actually start it up (have it run from a gas can because most likely the gas tank is shot/full of crap and the fuel lines are no good). When you get it running I would suggest doing a simple tune up such as replace the spark plugs, wires, coil, points and cap. This is just simple suggestions to getting it running again. Good luck and have fun.

Oh, and by the way,
:worthles::worthles::worthles::worthles::worthles::worthles:

First off I want to say thank you for your military service :salute: and welcome to FABO :rock: As others had stated start with the mechanics. Being able to drive your car helps you stay interested in it. The first think I would do before ever putting the key in the ignition would be an oil/filter change as twenty-plus year old would be :puker:. Also pore Marvel Mystery Oil down each cylinder through the spark plug holes to help free up the rings. The next thing I would do is clean/rebuild the carburetor as old gas will turn into varnish and gum the carb up. Now I would say to crank the engine over a couple of time but not actually start it up the get the fresh oil flowing through the block. Next wil be to actually start it up (have it run from a gas can because most likely the gas tank is shot/full of crap and the fuel lines are no good). When you get it running I would suggest doing a simple tune up such as replace the spark plugs, wires, coil, points and cap. This is just simple suggestions to getting it running again. Good luck and have fun.

Oh, and by the way,
:worthles::worthles::worthles::worthles::worthles::worthles:
Thanks a ton man. This is exactly what I needed. And I'll definitely get pics up tomorrow night, but fair warning, she's half buried under random **** from 13 years of sitting in the garage.

Thanks a ton man, this is exactly what I needed. I'll definitely throw some pics up tomorrow night, but fair warning: she's half buried under 13 years of **** from sitting in our garage

A big thank you and welcome from me too. This is gonna' be fun. I love to make cars work after setting for years. I was where you are with your Dart 5 years ago. 67valiant 100 is spot on with his suggestions. You may be able to trickle a little gas down the carb and it might start and run. I have done that before and never thought about causing damage. I heard mine run by doing that before I bought it. after I got it home, I changed oil and filter, did a complete tune up, overhauled the carb, (it was nasty) dropped the tank for a flush and flushed the lines (I ended replacing both the tank and the lines later), completely rebuilt the brakes, 4 new tires,fixed all the lights, that's about it for starters. Take your time and enjoy the journey. You'll have fun enjoying the ride later. toolmanmike
Forgot to ask, what model is it? 2 door or 4 door? engine? trans?

Attachments

• randailia dart live007.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC00023.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 216
How hard was that gas tank to drop? Mine on the Jeep is only a couple bolts, but I haven't really gotten to look under this thing.

You'll find there's lots of simple stuff on these cars. The gas tank has a single strap and just the normal sender wire, ground, and fuel lines.

I suggest pulling the spark plugs first and then try turning the crank by hand with a large ratchet or breaker bar with the appropriate socket for the crank bolt. This will tell you if the motor spins freely before you try to start it as outlined above.

:snaps a salute: thank you for your service and welcome to the best car site on the web. cabt wait for you to get elbow deep into your car. family cars are always the best builds

So I got some pics for yas lol

How she was before I touched anything

268007_10150707243530094_735530093_19559159_4385376_n.jpg

And here's what I have to work with..
282454_10150707243570094_735530093_19559160_8037362_n.jpg

282424_10150707243620094_735530093_19559161_5720090_n.jpg

282406_10150707243670094_735530093_19559164_6045833_n.jpg

Holy crap!
282043_10150707243720094_735530093_19559165_2276101_n.jpg

285169_10150707243765094_735530093_19559167_1026648_n.jpg

282792_10150707243810094_735530093_19559168_4871097_n.jpg

268927_10150707243855094_735530093_19559170_5275527_n.jpg

I'm gonna start hunting for supplies tomorrow after work :cheers:

I don't know what engine it is or what tranny it has, but i do know its an auto lol and it looks like an inline or slant 6, idk what the factory used

That is most definitely a slant 6 225, and looks like you got factory AC to go with it. I'm jealous!!! Good luck and I'm going to follow this thread, because I get to tear into a slant 6 very soon myself. And from a former service member to a current one, thank you!!!

Thanks man. Currently hunting for a carb rebuild kit. Suggestions? I have no idea what brands are decent and what are best to avoid. Is just going to NAPA and picking one up an ok idea?

Thanks man. Currently hunting for a carb rebuild kit. Suggestions? I have no idea what brands are decent and what are best to avoid. Is just going to NAPA and picking one up an ok idea?

The kits I ran across when I rebuilt the carb on my 73 /6 had the same components. They would basically let you re-seal the fuel bowl and there were a couple of other gaskets. What it did not include, but what I needed, was something for the accelerator pump. IMO, you'll pay more, but the NAPA stuff will be better quality than the Big Box stores.

The car appears to be a Dart GT two door hardtop. Looks like a good starting point. Welcome to FABO and good luck with the resurrection.

I don't know what engine it is or what tranny it has, but i do know its an auto lol and it looks like an inline or slant 6, idk what the factory used

For your tans,it's a 904 a good transmission.

So I had to order a driveshaft for the Jeep (Tom Woods, if anyone else here offroads, great company), ran me like 250. So the Dart gets put on hold till next paycheck. I'm gonna try manually turning the engine as soon as I get a day that's not 100* outside,

I don t like wide ones!!lol good luck I hope you have some time and patience because its gonna take both....OH yea have fun with it and try to involve dad you might need an extra hand!

-
Back