retro fitting Magnum F.I.

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ver retro fit a late model magnum F.I. set up in to an older car. I see lots of cool parts for Dodge Trucks with 5.2 and 5.9s that would work in an older car too.

I wouldnt mind having this under my hood
HPIM0090.JPG

Someday I want to put something like that in my duster. Build it out of a 5.2 or 5.9 and put a super charger or turbo on it. I have allways thought a new powerplant in an old muscle car would be sweet! Technology allways makes things better! I think you could build a motor that was pretty wild yet very streetable out of a newer powerplant.

im going to retro fit my car, along with the magnum heads.
that looks to be a like a w9 or 8 motor very nice tho'

steve

Hmmmm, looks like there's more than fuel injection going on there. Those are nitrous solenoids and fogger nozzles aren't they? And I see fuel rails, but no fuel injectors. And since there is no water pump or distributor, I would assume that is just a mock up engine for photo purposes. I would really like to see the complete package.

If you are staying close to stock specs i would say it would be a good way to go especially if you can get an installation harness from someone like Painless. The engine in the picture appears to be to radical to work with the stock PCM. For a F.I. engine like that you would need an after market PCM from the likes of FAST, Accel or Holley and there wouldn't be much from the stock magnum system that would be very useful.

I've thought about this myself. The 318 in my 69 Barracuda is using more and more oil between oil changes - it is 14 years old with about 80,000 miles on it! I've read a lot of reviews and done some thinking on this and am starting to price things out. Instead of grying to get a stock ECU to work in my Barracuda, I think it would be easier to get Accell's DFI system and put that on top of a Magnum motor - I'm thinking of building a 360 with Edelbrock's Magnum heads. Put in a nice cam and get all the outside accessories and brackets off of a junkyard motor and fire it up! I haven't looked at what intake manifold to use just yet - still looking.

the accel deal is $2700 i think, while i can go pull a whole magnum engine from the yard at $130.....and the ecu is $13 so im going with the stock system.

how can you tell there is no dist.? its in the back.

steve

in another forum i belong to a guy actually BUILT his own engine management system so he can run an EFI motor in his ramchager. its actually kinda neat and if i can find the thread i will post it here if anyone is interested.

I did alittle digging around. The early Magnum computers will actually take a good amount of mods before it wont work. They can also be re programed. No one makes a after market harness. The best bet is to find one from an early 92 or 93 Dakota. they have the least amount of wires.

scamp73 said:
how can you tell there is no dist.? its in the back.

steve

Well, I just assumed it would be visible above the valve cover. And besides, there are no plug wires. :dontknow:

moparPW200guy said:
in another forum i belong to a guy actually BUILT his own engine management system so he can run an EFI motor in his ramchager.

So did I. It's called a MegaSquirt EFI controller.

AdamR said:
I did alittle digging around. The early Magnum computers will actually take a good amount of mods before it wont work. They can also be re programed. No one makes a after market harness. The best bet is to find one from an early 92 or 93 Dakota. they have the least amount of wires.

92 van the same way? or a 93 jeep?

steve

The efi magmuns still have a distributor and plug wires. I have 4 of them. I going to put one in my powerwagon very shortly. The fuel system requires 48-53psi to run. There is a company that will build a harness off of the stock engine compartment harness for $700-750. You need a computer and the number off of the computer for them as well. The early jeep grand cherokee's are great for donor harnesses and computers. A freind of mine says you only need to hook up 6 wires to make the stock harness work. Which wires is the question!

im just going to go with a mega squirt system. $390 for ecu, and harness with ends and sensors. it takes boost alot better.

steve

I have a friend that can modify the factory FI harness and use a factory ECU to run the injector set up in old cars. You have to use the flywheel off of the fuel injected motors to make it work. When I come up with a 360 manual trans flywheel, I will be testing the set up in my 68 Dart. He says you only need 3 hot wires to run it. He can also make a harness to run the new Hemi in old cars. Can't wait to see the 6.1 L drop in his Ram Charger!

gremlin said:
I have a friend that can modify the factory FI harness and use a factory ECU to run the injector set up in old cars. You have to use the flywheel off of the fuel injected motors to make it work. When I come up with a 360 manual trans flywheel, I will be testing the set up in my 68 Dart. He says you only need 3 hot wires to run it. He can also make a harness to run the new Hemi in old cars. Can't wait to see the 6.1 L drop in his Ram Charger!

I would like to talk to him. That's funny I am building the same car and driveline setup (`68 dart). :toothy7: What are you doing with the fuel system?

gremlin said:

That would be easier than the megasquirt I was planing can we have more info?

i really don't think that it would be easier than the megasquirt, You can't modify the stock ecu if you modify your engine, plus its alot cheaper to do and less sensors. $390 assm.,with new injector ends with pigtails, also with the ness. sensors except for the wideband o2 (you don't need but recomended for great tuning). i got mine from www.rs-autosport.com

Steve

Sorry, I haven't looked at this thread in a while. I am not the one to give more info. Send me an email w/your #,and I'll pass it on to my friend. He has been doing the retro's as a side job, so I would imagine he will call or email you. He sells the retro wiring harness, so you can go pickajunk and get your own stuff to save a few bucks. You will need to weld a bung on your exhaust for O2 sensor. [email protected]
Glad to hear of people building 68's. I've had a 68 383/4speed GTS, 69 340/auto GTS, & 70 Dart Swinger 318/auto. Now, I have 2 68's origional 6/auto's. One soon to be 360/4 speed, the other 440/auto. Wish I still had the 68 GTS still. Can you guess my favorite year?

BTW, My buddy had a 70 Swinger for sale a couple of weeks ago. I don't know if he still has it. If he does it comes w/ big block shumacker mounts. Trunk lid looks like some one rolled the lip trying to open it around the lock, other wise the car is pretty straight. Springs have been moved into the frame, mini tubs, has SS springs, 8 3/4 cut down (ends haven't been welded on). Not sure what else but for $1500. it looks like a good deal. It's in Houston, Tx.

any updates on how well/easy the mega squirt system works with a magnum engine?

I'm still looking at mod'n a factory harness but if the mega squirt is working out to be pretty easy I might go that way. :thumblef:

Brian

it will be a few months at least 'till I get working on my mega squirt system so no help here, are you looking to run stock magnum intake?

I'm looking at doing the same to my engine in the future. Going to build for a carb now and switch to FI later on. Already have the FI intake, just have to take it off my Dak. Also have a spare PCM kicking around, so all I really need is the wiring harness and add the O2 sensor. Always wanted to do that anyways.

I am in the process right now of doing a magnum engine swap. I've got a 5.2 efi with the overdrive tranny out of a 92 dakota which i am putting in my Dart. right now im just cleaning it up and painting it and all that, but the real challenge I think will be the wiring. Also i'm concerned if the stock intake manifold is too tall. It just might have to be my excuse for getting a hood scoop lol. Oh well

The Oct. issue of Mopar Action is putting a crate motor into
a 62 Ply. Savoy. They are going to FI it with Mopar parts
and are suppose to be working with Mopar for a retro harness.
Real good article.

-
Back