Reverse light wiring problem

-

Leeroy

Reaction score
I am having trouble with the reverse lights , found the wires tied up around the speedo cable by the previous owner. The two wire lead goes from a round contact plug on the tranny (4 spd standard) to where ?
I have no idea where this goes , it has a black plug that I can get up into the engine bay as far as the washer fluid tank where the is a matching plug to fit coming out of the harness but it gets no results.
Is there supposed to be a switch on the gear shifter associated with this?

No, the switch on a stick car is right on the 4 speed, at the rear of the main case

EDIT Maybe I misunderstood------you have the plug on the gearbox, and there's another up in the engine bay?

What are we workin on? Surely not a hemi powered Farmall??

01.gif

Attachments

• trans-A833.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 240
Yeah, the switch should be on the trannie similar to the one shown. Typical (later year A body) wire colors are black and black/trace in the engine compartment; the black should have +12v on it with the key in RUN. But the wire colors and exact wiring depend on year/model.

Ok , I have a reverse switch on the trans that works , wires from the switch are Blk/Blk trace running up to engine bay , have a T shaped plug .
Under the hood the only plug that matches on the harness I plugged into lights up the EGR lamp on the dash when the car is put in reverse , kinda tells me this blk /light green pig tail isn't where I need to go .
In the trunk the back up lamps have violet/ white wires and go to the harness on the drivers side in the trunk but I can't find them under the dash or going through the firewall.
The car has stock wiring from 1975.
Any of you guys tell me if the blk / blk trace wires coming up from the reverse switch are plugged in under the hood or do they route somewhere else ?
1975 Duster , 360 4 spd.

the plug is near the the bulkhead I think maybe 8 or 10 inches long coming from the bulkhead or may it had its own grommet I cant remember but near there and went to the tranny my plug from 70 was not t shaped but more like the 2 outer lines on a W not quite parrallel

1975 Duster , 360 4 spd.

You need to get yourself a service manual.

In the meantime go to MyMopar and download the two sections of the '73 manual. Just for an aside, that download originated with the help of 3 or 4 members on this very site.

In the main manual start on page 8-152. 73 is the first year for Dart of the "new style" diagrams. Read that intro, because you need to learn to use that index

Now go to 8-153, 8-154 and notice the index is divided into componets, find the "Switches" heading and the "back up switch" for stick shift, and note that it's location C26, C27. This is a page map location. Scroll down and note A, B, C on the edge of the page

Scroll down and find 26, 27 at the top of the page, which is page 8-160

Find "C" at the left and at those coodinates, THERE is the back up switch. Notice that "any" of the switches, the wire goes up to "circled" CE40. THIS IS A CONNECTOR Notice CE2A above it. Follow that wire up and off the page to the left B2-18W, which means "wire no B2" size no. 18, WHITE in color

Go up one page and note it goes "through the page" from right to left

Up one more page to 8-158, B2-18W comes in at the right goes left and down to connector CB-1

WHERE ARE THESE CONNECTORS??

Go back to the INDEX page 8-152. NOTE that it says "connector charts"

CB-BODY page 171

CE-ENGINE page 164

CI-INSTRUMENT PANEL page 167

So lets start with the two "ENGINE" connectors, CE-40 and CE2A Go to page 8-164

NOTE CE-2 A is terminal A of the big bulkhead connector at top left of the page

CE-40 is down in the middle of the page. NOTE: Tells you where to look "above bulkhead connector" So it should be on the firewall in the harness up above the bulkhead connector

THAT DIAGRAM should be what the connector looks like, and the color of the wires and what they do

NOTE that this is from the 73 manual, and MAY NOT BE correct for a 75. THIS IS WHY you need to buy a service manual (or find one to download)

Attachments

• CE40.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 216
-
Back