Reverse Polarity in Parking Lights

-

rymanrph

Reaction score
I have a '68 Barracuda and the best I can tell, the polarity of my parking lights is reversed. They don't function as parking lights at all. In fact, the only way I can make them light, is to use the flashers or turn signals. If the headlight switch is in the parking light or headlight position, the turn signal indicators on the dash light up permanently. If the flashers are activated, when the parking light bulbs themselves flash, the dash indicator lights go out (and vice verses). The parking light wire is jumped (I believe from the factory), so they should stay on with the headlights, but they only function as flashers at the moment.

I just got the car recently and didn't have this problem when I brought it home. The only issue I had was the passenger side would only function as a turn signal, but not a parking light. The driver side functioned correctly. I replaced the bulb on the passenger side assuming one of the filaments was broken.

I have the cluster loose at the moment since I was repainting the bezel and replacing the cluster bulbs. I have extra ground wires running to the different screws on the cluster and then an additional one that I have grounded on the dash frame (using the fuse panel screw).

Obviously, I have done something to cause this since I didn't have this problem when I bought it, but I'm at a loss as to what that is.

Definately a lost chassis ground at the front fixtures to core support. The park lamp circuit will use the turn circuit for a ground path. There is a ground at the dash turn indicaters so...

You guys are funny. Thanks for the help. Is the ground for the parking lights up front just behind the lights, or are we talking about something behind the dash?

Up front...probably painted black or corroded. Follow your lighting circuits around starting at the harness on the firewall and check the condition of the harness....I think you will find the ground coming off the passenger side headlight plug....or somewhere between the driver side and passenger side harness.

Wiring diagrams help and are available here

http://mymopar.com/index.php?pid=27

When I was having issues, I removed the parking lamps from the grill and just had them connected to the harness to test them while I swapped bulbs. Apparently just being attached is a ground. Once I reconnected them to the grill, my problems were solved.

When I was having issues, I removed the parking lamps from the grill and just had them connected to the harness to test them while I swapped bulbs. Apparently just being attached is a ground. Once I reconnected them to the grill, my problems were solved.

Try to remember most everything on the car requires a chassis ground.
Happy moparing.

-
Back