Rhs Indy X Head Thread

-
Very impressive!

Job well done brian!
Not happy that your thread got deleted mad dart but oh well.

Not to jack the thread,ive never been on moparts forum,
whats the diff say,compared to this one!?
Is it worth being a traitor?

lol

Very impressive!

Job well done brian!

lol

I have only visited Moparts a few times.

Lookin Good! I want to see how this set turns out for you. I have a set of RPM that need to be ported for a future 408 build.

Nemesis- Moparts has a great tech archive and good parts for sale sections. Haven't done much posting there myself even though I've been a member for a number of yrs. Looks like there's quite a few knowledgeable guys on there.

Very impressive!

Job well done brian!

lol

Nemesis- Moparts has a great tech archive and good parts for sale sections. Haven't done much posting there myself even though I've been a member for a number of yrs. Looks like there's quite a few knowledgeable guys on there.

Ditto. Theres a few really smart fellas there. I left because of the posting nazi's and the beat'em clicks.

Beat em clicks?

Thanks for the heads up fellas!

I am still there. But greatly reduced posting. It's very confrontational and rarely do threads stay helpful. The atmosphere is why I ended up coming here more. I know Tom, he lives 20 minutes from me... but the site can get too irritating to bear for a long time. Plus a few parts buyers I had there were total tools..lol.

Very impressive!

Job well done brian!

lol

It didnt get deleted, Just locked.

I think you are going to be really happy with those heads. That rocker arm to valve tip geometry looks great!

I think you are going to be really happy with those heads. That rocker arm to valve tip geometry looks great!

Yes they should work fine. I thought these heads would FLOW more than they do. If I would have known that from the get go I would have just went with some INDY 360 heads or a W series Mopar Head.
We will see how much power they make on Dec 4th. Should be a fun car to drive on the street with the 4spd anyhow!!

Next year it will be BIG BLOCK for sure! Of course in a different car!

I had asked this question in the locked thread but it never got answered - what is the intended purpose for these heads?

Was reading through all the hysterics and wondering why you didn't just start with a set of Indy's and be done with it? Probably come out to be the same price after all the things you've done and way less hassle...

See 7172 Duster's last pass with the Indy-headed bullet before they sold it. He was basically in the nines with a 3,250 lb Duster.

I had asked this question in the locked thread but it never got answered - what is the intended purpose for these heads?

Was reading through all the hysterics and wondering why you didn't just start with a set of Indy's and be done with it? Probably come out to be the same price after all the things you've done and way less hassle...

See 7172 Duster's last pass with the Indy-headed bullet before they sold it. He was basically in the nines with a 3,250 lb Duster.

The intentions of this build was to obtain as much power as possible. Kind of a play on itself I guess. This car will be used mostly on the street with occasional strip use, so the combo will be fine. Just was looking for more like us all. Should have MORE than enough power for its intended purpose. If I can run 11.20 or so with a 4spd I will be happy with that. Smack it with a 150 shot and get in the 10's.

As far as how much $$ I have into it now, well it was not supposed to be like that as you know. If I never got RIPPED off then this would have not been an issue at all. But here I am now! :cheers:

Mad, that's always the problem with throwing numbers around. I'd rather be conservative and plan for growth rather than maxing something out.

It's a gray area for sure. Do you start with a decent part and try all kinds of tricks to make it do something it was not designed to do or just step up to the next level and have room to grow? I'd step up, you're always going to want more.

I had also said this before but Hughes basically says these are great for guys who want 450-500 hp. Sounds like you're looking for more? If it were my build and I was doing what you're doing, I would not have even considered these things, especially since they are inherently flawed. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess. Don't mean to be a dick here, just pointing out there are better parts to start with, price not withstanding.

I had also said that guys who run these heads likely don't want to be bothered with re-arranging the valve layout since they're not being marketed as a 'max effort' part. I know it 'can be done' but at what cost? You're defeating the purpose of the part, which is basically a budget head.

Successful 'max power' SBM heads have the pushrod pinch issue resolved and use offset rocker arms. Stock rocker stuff is limited. Mopar knew this, hence the 'W' design.

It's a gray area for sure. Do you start with a decent part and try all kinds of tricks to make it do something it was not designed to do or just step up to the next level and have room to grow? I'd step up, you're always going to want more.

I believe Louis was led to believe by Hughes engines he was starting with a premium product that was capable of doing what he wanted. I still expect it to be close to what he wanted. I guess only the dyno will tell for sure.
I had also said this before but Hughes basically says these are great for guys who want 450-500 hp. Sounds like you're looking for more? If it were my build and I was doing what you're doing, I would not have even considered these things, especially since they are inherently flawed. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess. Don't mean to be a dick here, just pointing out there are better parts to start with, price not withstanding.

Are you talking about the RHS heads or the EQ heads? I ask because I remember when I bought my EQ heads from them that's the hp level they said they were good for. Later when they came out with the RHS heads I could have sworn they said they were good for 550-600 hp but I can't find it on their website now. Also what is this "inherent flaw" your referring too?
I had also said that guys who run these heads likely don't want to be bothered with re-arranging the valve layout since they're not being marketed as a 'max effort' part. I know it 'can be done' but at what cost? You're defeating the purpose of the part, which is basically a budget head.

Successful 'max power' SBM heads have the pushrod pinch issue resolved and use offset rocker arms. Stock rocker stuff is limited. Mopar knew this, hence the 'W' design.

Also what is this "inherent flaw" your referring too?

The valve springs. The pockets that are cast in the heads can only be cut so far down and do not allow a spring to be installed at the proper height. AFAIK, springs that (generally) allow more than say .525" lift are supposed to be installed at 1.8" or so. The RHS heads seem to only allow springs with a max of around 1.725" installed height. Therefore you can't utilize the flow potential these heads offer since you can't use a cam that will take advantage of the potential.

Obviously there are work-arounds to the issue, but that's why I say if it's a max-effort build, why start with these? Nothing is perfect OOTB, but this to me is not a good thing. Money would be better spent elsewhere rather than trying to fix a poorly designed product that wasn't designed for max effort anyway.

When you start talking max effort out of a small block stroker you better have some deep pockets because the cost will balloon up fast. All forged lower end, R3 block, Indy heads, sky high expensive valve train, bigger headers, upgraded fuel supply, etc etc the cost will balloon up super fast. You will probably need 15k to play with if you are going that route.

The 500 hp range strokers are quite a bit less expensive and not really exotic at all and are more then enough for a person who just wants to play around a little here and there on some joy rides. If Mad Dart is just looking for a fun car he will be happy. If he had thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars more to spend then yes he could have built a more powerful engine.

Mad, that's always the problem with throwing numbers around. I'd rather be conservative and plan for growth rather than maxing something out.

As long as it runs its A$$ off with whatever power it makes I will be fine.

If I was to go for more power and a small block R series block would be the ticket for sure...........

Next year a 67 Coronet Big Block and 800-1000hp twin turbo or a supercharger set up will fit the bill!! That build will start with a aftermarket Block probably the KOLENO that is cross bolted on all 5 mains.

But that is another story.

Let us know how she goes when shes all in an rocking maddart!

Here are some pictures. All I need is the pushrods which I will order first thing tomorrow. Then it is off to the dyno Dec 4th. Installed in the car on the 5th of December.

005.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

016.jpg

019.jpg

021.jpg

005.jpg

009.jpg