ricers ain't so smart

-

mac daddy mopar

Reaction score
took the scamp for a ride yesterday, while we were riding around the wife wanted to stop and see some friends, their son runs with the fart can crowd, and there were 5-6 of them there, they get checking out the scamp, one say's 400 right? (me)no 318. it sounds like it has a big cam in it. (me) it does, I had to change to manual brakes because the cam don't produce enough vacuum for power brakes. how much noss you running? (me) huh? you know what noss is right? (me) yeah I know what noss is, but I ain't running spray.
sure you are, I'm looking at the bottle. (me) no your looking at my fire extinguisher. (it's between the drivers seat and door)
why do you need one of them? (me) because the car is 36 years old, and when I take the car down the track I'll have to have one.
whats it run? (me) I haven't took it to the track yet, I'll find out next year at the nats. we don't need the track, we know places to run that take the cops forever to get there. (me) and that's why you don't know a fire extinguisher from a nos bottle, go home and tell you mom she raised a idiot.

yeah it's just plain sad that a kid don't know what a fire extinguisher is, when it's red and says fire extinguisher, and don't have a clue as to why you would have one in a car.

Yea, we know they aint to smart just by choice of car. If there were any real brains goin on, they would be doing a V8 in any car that can take it. Even cars from the late 70's and early 80's can have a V8 in it to start with. Though mostly just a people mover engine & under powered, a swap is just a few bolts away from a real build and fun.

BUT, WTF do we know, were just old coots stuck in yesteryear. LOL!

Man-- you missed a golden opportunity--- you could have had the youngens meet you at the track & race safer---- he is a youngster--- At that age your bulletproof-- & not concerned about things----
Point is: those street racers tend to have more accidents than track racing- usually some innocent bystander- gets smashed.
You could have helped the learning curve on this youngster.
At least they were not playing video games-- on their assets!!!
Lawrence

I think it's just part of growing up. There are smart and dumb kids in every crowd. The dumb ones give themselves away by speaking before thinking.

Remember, choice of car starts by what's available. The true hot rodders will take a hand me down accord or civic, and get the most they can out of it. Then it becomes acceptable, and those with money will buy a 10 year old one and do what they can. Prices on 10-20 year old F body GM's and even Fox Mustangs are pretty high for what they are. Mopar was out of the (RWD) game for a long time. And not every kid who wants to be a hot rodder necesarilly wants a "classic." I don't understand it, but the parents of my generation didn't understand me, and their parents didn't understand them. I'm not suggesting that a civic will become classic one day. I'm just of the oppinion that this is the evoloution of the hot rod mentality. I think most of us have done our share of stupid driving on the streets. Just because we have better taste in cars doesn't make us any better. Unless we were so stupid we didn't know why a fire extinguisher would be useful. That is an example of Darwin's Law, survival of the fittest. Hopefully that weasel doesn't take out an innocent human when he does himself in.

If you take the time to talk to some of these kids, you might be suprised to learn that they can appreciate old stuff too. There are budding car guys among them. I don't make a habit of approaching them, but have been approached many times. And not all are ignorant. They may not all know what I'm driving, but some will ask, not guess.

my stepson is 23,and he has been a gearhead since he was in his early teens. he is a ford fan(his choice,lol) and at 23,he has an 89 fox mustang,built,vortech huffed, 10.70 car on drag radials,that he and i have assembled. he has done most of the work himself,under my direction. it's more or less the canvas these younger guys have to work with today. he loves that mustang,and he has an 05 mustang as his daily driver. the cool thing is,by his evolution of hotrodding,and building,he now has his mind set on a 1967-1969 fastback mustang with big-block power and a 4-speed. it all comes together one way or another i guess,lol.

If you take the time to talk to some of these kids, you might be suprised to learn that they can appreciate old stuff too. There are budding car guys among them. I don't make a habit of approaching them, but have been approached many times. And not all are ignorant. They may not all know what I'm driving, but some will ask, not guess.

I always try to take the time to answer any questions any one has about my car, it don't matter if they are young or old, or what they drive.
and when I run into another car guy or gal, I'll ask things about their car.
yesterday was the wife's first ride in the scamp, since I put it back on the road, and she found out why it takes me an hour to go to the parts store 5 mins away, she couldn't believe so many people would go nuts over a flat black scamp with loud exhaust, but now she wants to drive my car, so I guess I'll have to build her one, only with a better ride and a hole lot quieter, she said she knows why I didn't but in a stereo now.

Can we trade ricers? I went to a local car show and all that was there was imports. There was 2 kids there that drove domestics down there. An Olds 442 and of course a '70 Nova. Both were okay. But the rest of these guys my age, minus a few nice people, had nothing nice to say about how I like domestics over imports. "You should sell it and buy a 240/RX7/Honda etc." or "Domestics are dumb. Have fun at the dragstrip loser"
Most of them thought though that welding your spider gears was the newest thing around and it was way cool to do it and not spend money on a locker. One guy made a remark that "Dodge Darts are the ugliest domestic I've seen" His RX-7 was purple and had zebra stripe vinyl all over the back and front bumper. I simply told him that he needed to just look at his car if he wanted to see an eyesore.:toothy10:

No seriously, I have a severe dislike of the rice boys in my area, I'd rather hangout with the old farts and muscle car masters, even the local minitruckers club in my area is friendlier than the ricers.

I'm not directing this comment at anyone in particular, but how are kids supposed to learn if no one has ever taken time to teach them?

I'm not directing this comment at anyone in particular, but how are kids supposed to learn if no one has ever taken time to teach them?

That's what I always say,our friends son, asked a lot of good questions, and I took the time to answer, and to tell him if I ever heard of him street racing I'd build a boot factory in his a$$, he wants a old car, but he said even the chevy's are priced stupid, his whole family are chevy people.
I told him I'd keep an eye out for a car he can build, and his dad said there goes the garage, and I told him that I'd rather see the kid in the garage building a safe car then out street racing and kill himself or someone else,
that was an eye opener for him, he thought 4 cylinders were safe:angry7: I think jr gets his brains from his mom.

...and that's why you don't know a fire extinguisher from a nos bottle, go home and tell you mom she raised a idiot.

My wife says I'm an insensitive peckerhead but...DAMN! That is so funny, I laughed out loud!!! (Makes the girl in the next cubicle nervous when I do that, for some reason...)

wish you would have went with the whole fire extinguisher is a nos bottle deal.. you could have helped him install his very own right between the seats just like yours (preferably Halon) would have been a real GAS the first time he "squeezed" LOL

The sad part is..when these young dudes do take up the interest to build an old car(any brand)they won,t beable to just go to the wreckers to get deals on used parts,engines,tranny,s,rears,tires,wheels.The way they,ve cleaned out yards around here,you might aswell buy a car done already.Dam shame it is!

The sad part is..when these young dudes do take up the interest to build an old car(any brand)they won,t beable to just go to the wreckers to get deals on used parts,engines,tranny,s,rears,tires,wheels.The way they,ve cleaned out yards around here,you might aswell buy a car done already.Dam shame it is!

so far I'm lucky enough to have a yard near by that only crushes late model wrecks, and they save the old iron, the owner is a friend of mine, as well as a car guy, he has a 68 dart and a 68 charger in his vast collection of cars, and there are old cars he has that could be crushed, that he still has in the yard, I'm talking about rolled cars that have striped down to the last screw, but he say's theres enough new junk coming in to crush.

Check out these " fire extinguishers".......LOL

Attachments

• IMGP4848.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 203
I wouldn't knock the young ricer crowd to much, actually it's a pretty smart concept what a lot of them are doing.

1: Thay don't have any trouble finding performance parts

2: Newer cars drive and handle better (in most cases)

3: Most are light/semi cheap cars

I know a kid that had a twin turbo supra, he could program the boost from a lap top from between 400 and 700 horsepower, right off hand I don't know of any streetable GM, Ford or Mopars around that could even think about running with him.. He had 50k in that supra, obviously he wasn't the normal ricer kid..

I wouldn't knock the young ricer crowd to much, actually it's a pretty smart concept what a lot of them are doing.

I know a kid that had a twin turbo supra, he could program the boost from a lap top from between 400 and 700 horsepower, right off hand I don't know of any streetable GM, Ford or Mopars around that could even think about running with him.. He had 50k in that supra, obviously he wasn't the normal ricer kid..
There is a difference between a ricer and an import enthusiast. The ricers just modify based on what everyone else is doing. An import enthusiast would be someone like that, that upgrades with a mind of their own and not following a pack. Also, most import guys actually have a brain

That's cool, as long as he has enough brains to race on the track and the safety equipment to go with the power, you'd be amazed at the kids I see here that have all the gadgets under the hood and lap top tune able, only to run the stock brakes and seat belts, and they stick the huge rims on but not the speed rated tires, read about them all the time in the paper where they wiped out:angry7:

There is a difference between a ricer and an import enthusiast. The ricers just modify based on what everyone else is doing. An import enthusiast would be someone like that, that upgrades with a mind of their own and not following a pack.

Thay could say the same thing about most of us, there sure are a lot of sublime green Mopars out there and even more sitting on jack stands.. I'm sure as most get older, wiser and can find a job thay will move up the performance ladder or have 2 or 3 kids and a mini-van...

have 2 or 3 kids and a mini-van...

I'm glad they didn't have mini vans when my kids were born, just put the car seats in the duster.

-
Back