Ride height

-

pyrojim

Reaction score
Any idea the ride height on a 71 dart swinger? Has a 360 in it now. Taking it for alignment Saturday and I'd lie to be close.
Thanks

I don't think it's that important as long as you have adequate travel up/ down and "it's where you want it," and within 1/8" side to side. Look in the shop manual for measurement technique

According to the 72 manual, the 4 dr is 2 1/8", 2 dr is 1 5/8" Now these are basically the same cars using the same front end parts, so why the difference?

...if you're not familiar with how Mopar defines "ride height". Most people naturally assume it refers to measuring from the ground to some fixed part of the car, but noooo....

I would check it myself, because odds are the shop kids have no clue. And since it affects caster and camber, it could mess them up, and they'd blame it on "worn parts" and void their warranty. BTDT.

Since you have a 360, you might want to consider a more performance oriented alignment spec than "the book", which was written in the days of 6.95x14 bias-ply. Try:

0.5 degrees negative camber, both sides.
2.5 to 4 degrees positive caster (as much as you can get, with both sides equal).
Minimum toe-in (1/8" or less, total, both sides added together).

...if you're not familiar with how Mopar defines "ride height". Most people naturally assume it refers to measuring from the ground to some fixed part of the car, but noooo....

I would check it myself, because odds are the shop kids have no clue. And since it affects caster and camber, it could mess them up, and they'd blame it on "worn parts" and void their warranty. BTDT.

Since you have a 360, you might want to consider a more performance oriented alignment spec than "the book", which was written in the days of 6.95x14 bias-ply. Try:

0.5 degrees negative camber, both sides.
2.5 to 4 degrees positive caster (as much as you can get, with both sides equal).
Minimum toe-in (1/8" or less, total, both sides added together).

X2, Absolootely, read this:

Scroll down to the "skosh chart" and NOTICE that the camber settings with radial tires are NEGATIVE, which means that the tires are pointed IN at the top, as opposed to the original bias ply specs, which are POSITIVE camber, and point the tires OUT at the top.

http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/front-end-alignment.html

Set the ride height with about an inch between the top of the LCA bumper and frame. Then measure from the frame to the metal of the LCA and make both sides the same. Most alignment shops that I have dealt with in recent years (actaully ever) will not set ride height.

So, I take the Dart in Saturday to get the alignment done, wouldn't you know it, the kid who is doing it has his 67 super bee out back. Great looking ride. So, I pre tip him $20.00 and he sets the ride height and does the alignment.
Thanks John at MTI services!!!

alignment.jpg

We actually used th Skosh chart.
Worked out great.
Thanks for everyones contribution. If you were close, I'd buy ya a beer!

So, I take the Dart in Saturday to get the alignment done, wouldn't you know it, the kid who is doing it has his 67 super bee out back.
no such car as a 67 superbee unless the dude made one. the superbee was offered from 68 to 71 in the states.

Set the ride height with about an inch between the top of the LCA bumper and frame. Then measure from the frame to the metal of the LCA and make both sides the same. Most alignment shops that I have dealt with in recent years (actaully ever) will not set ride height.

At the pep boys I worked at in Tulsa. we would set ride height, but it cost you extra $$$

I don't understand the extra. Alignment is alignment. Ride height is part of it. Just because Chuvvies 'n Ferds don't have an adjustment..................................

I don't understand the extra. Alignment is alignment. Ride height is part of it. Just because Chuvvies 'n Ferds don't have an adjustment..................................

You got me George. It was extra work and apparently too easy to just hit a couple bolt

-
Back