Right carb for a souped-up 360?

-

Swingerdude

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I want to replace my edelbrock 600 vac. secondary with something more suitable for my engine. The 600 was never intended to stay on my 360, but it was what i had on the shelf.

2 carbs are on my "candidate list", the 750 Holley and the 650 Speed demon, both mech.secondary.

The engine:
360 0.30 overbore,
Heads: Edelbrock performer RPM 340 (63 cc)
Intake: Edelbrock performer RPM dual plane
Cam: Mopar performance 284' , 450 dura. , advanced 4 degrees.
Pistons: KB flattops
Valve gear: stock / hydr.

What would you put on a similar engine?

Regards

What do you have for transmission, convertor if auto, and gearing?

I would go with the Holley....as far as the Speed Demon...Barry Grant who makes the Demon is out of business....

What do you have for transmission, convertor if auto, and gearing?

Hi Moper.

727, origin unknown, maybe from a van since it has a hole on the top of the bellhousing.
2500 stall converter from hughes (although it stalls at about 2000 rpm! maybe wrong number?)
2.76:1 w/ cone sure grip.

Holley 750 double pumper...best carb for the $$$ hands down.
Brian

I sorta had the same idea - the 750 flows more air, and very easy to change its jets.

What's that about Barry Grant is out of business? We don't hear so much about it here in little Dannevang. :rr:

I sorta had the same idea - the 750 flows more air, and very easy to change its jets.

What's that about Barry Grant is out of business? We don't hear so much about it here in little Dannevang. :rr:

[ame="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=1579&bih=743&q=barry+grant+closed&aq=1&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=barry+gran"]barry grant closed - Google Search[/ame]

With the convertor and lack of gear, I'd go smaller. Street Avenger 570, or the Thunder AVS 650, or the 650 vaccum secondary Holley. No need for larger.

Like Moper says, I wouldn't run a DP carb with a 2.76 gear.

X2
Personally I think you are way under-geared for the modifications you've made already!
You'll get more benefit from proper gears than a carb change at this point.

Kyle's Demon with a 360/XE268H ran a 750 holey DP carb, 2500 hughes converter and 2.76 gears. Car ran fine and got 20mpg... it was out of the box , no tuning except for base idle settings. Doesn't bog, runs well.

The 284 cam is a bit bigger but would still run with it.

Even though Swingerdude is inquiring about a carb, it just seems like the wrong way to go with a tall gear and tight converter, even if it worked in another similar combo. A good gear would help more now while keeping the 600 a little longer. Then a bigger carb would work even better later on. Just my 2 cents on the progression of the build for maximum effect.

For reference, with tuning on my old 360 W-2 Challenger, I found a 650 DP and 780 vacuum to produce similar ET's. A 750 DP was about .10 faster. Gears can pick up more. Carb tuning should be done each time any changes are made.

With the convertor and lack of gear, I'd go smaller. Street Avenger 570, or the Thunder AVS 650, or the 650 vaccum secondary Holley. No need for larger.

I agree also, No need for a larger carb with the lack of gear & stall, A 750dp will work good if you plan on installing a better converter & better gears like 3.91s & a 32-3400 stall.

I ran a 650dp with a 2800 stall & 3.73 gears on my mild 360 (small cam), it ran great. If i had went with more cam, steeper gears & a better stall, i would have ungraded to a 750dp.

I run a 500 cfm Edelbrock on mine and love it. I removed a 650 cfm
Quick Fuel double pumper. Best move I've made for my engine.

360 +.060
Eddy RPM heads
Eddy RPM Air Gap Intake
Comp XE 284 cam
Roller rockers and flat tappet lifters
MSD 6AL ignition with MSD dizzy
355 gears
2800-3200 stall convertor
Dished pistons
87 octane fuel

Performs very well

Thanks for all the useful information!

I have recently bought a used , restored Holley 650 DP, just for trying. A Holley 750 vac. sec. is also in the drawer, to be tried on afterwards. It's all about the experiments (as long as i have the time, i'd surely like to drive it sometimes also).

-
Back