Rocker arm assembly alignment WTF!!!

-

swinger 74

Reaction score
Had my engine rebuilt and im in the process of getting everything ready to drop it in. I pulled the valve covers to paint the intake and noticed this on the passenger side of the engine. Whats going on here and how to correct this. I know this is definitely wrong and will cause serious problems
20160928_160856.jpg
20160928_160907.jpg

By the pics those are intake rockers not exhaust. Im kinda guessing here but look way wrong.

There are 'left' and 'right' rockers, 4 of each on each side of the engine. You simply have some of them reversed. There is a left and a right in each pair of rockers on each cylinder. The ends over the valve tips slew away from each other in each pair.

Remove the shafts and re-arrange them. Also make sure that the rocker shafts are the right way; you have the oil holes pointed down (good!), but, in addition to that, the largest mounting hole on the underside of the shaft has to be over the 2nd to the rocker stand from the rear on the passenger side, and over the 2nd from the front rocker stand on the driver's side. This arrangement is how the oil gets up from the heads into the insides of the rocker shafts.

each set of intake and exhaust takes a pair of left and right....no 1 cylinder exhaust left..intake right...no 3...intake left ..exhaust right...No. 5 E left I Right
no 7 Intake Left Exhaust Right

Last edited:
Thanks for everyones replies. Im off tomorrow so i will have to pull it apart and get it all squared away. It sounds like an easy fix and should be able to figure it all out. Hopefully

each set of intake and exhaust takes a pair of left and right....no 1 cylinder exhaust left..intake right...no 3...intake left ..exhaust right...get the picture?
Ok so the driver side of the engine i star from the front of the engine with LH the RH all the way down. What about the passenger side of the engine? Do i start from the back of the engine and work my way to the front in the sequence of LH then RH. Im just a little confused on that

if that engine was mine I would pull the pan and check to see if the rod caps are on right. his attention to detail is off if that got by it also looks like it was assembled dry without assembly lube . I bought a rebuilt 340 once with 1 rod cap on backwards it went 400 miles then started knocking . good luck .

I'm with Roy on this one
if something this simple isn't done right I would question the overall quality of the builders work
did you contact him about this?

Ok so the driver side of the engine i star from the front of the engine with LH the RH all the way down. What about the passenger side of the engine? Do i start from the back of the engine and work my way to the front in the sequence of LH then RH. Im just a little confused on that

Each cylinder has one left and one right... starting in front of engine...passenger side you would got Cylinder NO. 2..exhaust right..intake left....No. 4 intake right exhaust left...No. 6 E right...I left...No. 8 I right...E left

See post No.7 for driver side..I finished out the sequence for ya....

Last edited:
each set of intake and exhaust takes a pair of left and right....no 1 cylinder exhaust left..intake right...no 3...intake left ..exhaust right...No. 5 E left I Right
no 7 Intake Left Exhaust Right
Wow i feel like i am back at boot camp.

if that engine was mine I would pull the pan and check to see if the rod caps are on right. his attention to detail is off if that got by it also looks like it was assembled dry without assembly lube . I bought a rebuilt 340 once with 1 rod cap on backwards it went 400 miles then started knocking . good luck .
I actually installed the pan and everything looked right.

WOW i found this today when i went to chech the rockers. Engine going back to the person and gonna be fixed. This car has become a nightmare and waste of money
20160929_153352.jpg

wow, thats messed up. id be inclined to just walk away. go someplace reputable and let people know about your bad experience with that shop. i lost 26000 to a custom shop, but thats another story!

before this story is over some of us are going to want to know the name of this "engine builder" so we can avoid him

and I agree with 4 speed, I would drop by there to get a refund but I wouldn't let them touch the engine again
(California is an open carry state, right?)

-
Back