rockt mtn dash/gauges

-
depends if you go UP or DOWN to start. usually everybody comes in on the upper end which is just outside maryville,tn. it ends just inside the n.c. line. no offense to anybody,but the harleys usually get in your way,and some are real dicks and won't pull over. there are tons of curvy roads to run around here! i have a buddy going today. i have so much crap going on with my car it will be jan or feb before i can go!

Here's how I did mine.

Duster02

well,i got my dash tore apart today. still have a few little things to do. i think i am going to powder coat the glovebox door to match the gauge insert. i am going to make a billit aluminum piece to fill in where the heater controls go and do it the same way. what you guys think? a little blue on black action,with a black dash pad.
View attachment DSC02947.jpg

View attachment DSC02948.jpg

View attachment DSC02949.jpg

well i FINALLY got another piece done for my dash tonight. final fit before i tap the mounting holes and send her to powder coat! it is billit aluminum,i have some serious time in this thing. i don't do the auto-cad thing,i just old-school-use-your-brain-method. this piece will be black like the gauge pod. what you guys think?

View attachment DSC02960.jpg

View attachment DSC02961.jpg

View attachment DSC02962.jpg

Mine is a 72 Duster. As most would agree the dash belongs in a taxi cab or a school bus...UGH-Ugly! Since Rocky Mountain went bye-bye nothing comes close to those inserts,
BUT >> HEY "440-VS": your dash looks like MY kinda dash! Did I miss you describing how you came by it? Can you PLEASE share the details on 'where you got it', what kind of gauges (especially the tach) & cost (details please) and what it took to install.

I'm new to this forum stuff, so I hope this works. I would certainly like to duplicate your beautiful dash & gauge setup for my Duster project!

Thanks buddy. Old Country :wave:

Those gauge panels are awsome looking! But nobody made anything to fit a ralley dash. I would buy it for my 340 Demon if it was available. I've installed several Covan dashes in GM products, they work pretty well.

I've installed quite a few of the Covans. I think they're cool, but a bit, well, flexible. The price is pretty reasonable. I think that may be what hurt the RMD's. Definately a higher price, but a higher quality, too. It's just when you get a 400 buck panel and then add 400 bucks worth of guages, it's kind of a sticker shock.

My alternative for my Roadrunner....

Attachments

• vaca cars dinga 116.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 627
well i FINALLY got another piece done for my dash tonight. final fit before i tap the mounting holes and send her to powder coat! it is billit aluminum,i have some serious time in this thing. i don't do the auto-cad thing,i just old-school-use-your-brain-method. this piece will be black like the gauge pod. what you guys think?

Nice. What finish will it get?

I want a rocky mountain dash so bad. Their not worth the price though. maybe 200 but no more than that. They charged so much because no one else made them.

I want a rocky mountain dash so bad. Their not worth the price though. maybe 200 but no more than that. They charged so much because no one else made them.

have you ever priced good sheet aluminum? have you ever priced a good fab guy by the hour? i agree they were high,but they are a nice piece and worth the cash or i would not have bought it. i sure he had fixtures and such to do it,but it is still time consuming. i have a *** load of hours machining the part i made manually to get it like i wanted.

have you ever priced good sheet aluminum? have you ever priced a good fab guy by the hour? i agree they were high,but they are a nice piece and worth the cash or i would not have bought it. i sure he had fixtures and such to do it,but it is still time consuming. i have a *** load of hours machining the part i made manually to get it like i wanted.
A good sheet of Aluminum? It cant cost more then copper or something. I mean people buy aluminum door panels. Either way I dont think their worth the same price or more then a pair of headers. Their nice but not worth it at that amount.

$184 for a 4x8 sheet

http://www.metalsdepot.com/Cart3/viewCart1.phtml?LimAcc=$LimAcc&aident=

$184 for a 4x8 sheet

http://www.metalsdepot.com/Cart3/viewCart1.phtml?LimAcc=$LimAcc&aident=

http://www.metalsdepot.com/Cart3/viewCart1.phtml?LimAcc=&aident=
103 on the same site

and even cheaper here http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/mepages/alumsheet_6061t6.php

I dont care who can find the cheapest price. Its not worth it...for 500 I would rather spend it on headers, and just get the Redline one. Im just saying some may by it because its nice looking, but 500 for nice looking? Their are wheels that are 500 and are 17x8 plus

your choice not to buy it. thats just for the flat alumn. now add in the pipe or conduit for the pods, the time the guy has to put in to making the dash. it all adds up. sounds like rmd was farming most of it out. that adds cost also.. i'll tell ya mopar guys want, want, want till they see the price of something. its like they don't think the seller should make anything on a product. go with that ugly flimsy plastic thing for $100 then.

your choice not to buy it. thats just for the flat alumn. now add in the pipe or conduit for the pods, the time the guy has to put in to making the dash. it all adds up. sounds like rmd was farming most of it out. that adds cost also.. i'll tell ya mopar guys want, want, want till they see the price of something. its like they don't think the seller should make anything on a product. go with that ugly flimsy plastic thing for $100 then.

AMEN BROTHER!! i'm with you joe! i didn't pay $500 for mine anyway. i really don't think that a man could make it for $350 with the materials and his time factored in. i guess it depends if you are worth $8 an hour or $23.

since i have had this rocky mtn dash insert for about 4 yrs and the gauges around 3 yrs,i figured it was about time to install them! the install of my 5 spd. prompted this since i have to pull the column to put the pedals in,i figured i would do this and get my dash pad redone as well. so since i am this far,what do you guys think?

View attachment 188165

this is my RMD 71 Demon also with 5 speed

Attachments

• 1971-demon-other-demon-2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 619

It is my choice, why do you think their company went out of Business? Not enough people wanted to shell out the money. And i will because its not going to matter if its plastic or metal. Why? Seems like Mopar was alright with plastic for their original dash in duster/darts. But either way it is a nice item to have and I sure either way if the price was lower many more people would have one including me.

AMEN BROTHER!! i'm with you joe! i didn't pay $500 for mine anyway. i really don't think that a man could make it for $350 with the materials and his time factored in. i guess it depends if you are worth $8 an hour or $23.

lol 8 or 23? are those the only options? good thing it wasnt made in Ca or else it would be 23 or 100

-
Back