rockt mtn dash/gauges

-
I just wish redline would do thiers like RMD with the guages sunk in, don't care that it is plastic.

same here, even if its still made out of the same plastic, maybe just replica of the RMD

your choice not to buy it. thats just for the flat alumn. now add in the pipe or conduit for the pods, the time the guy has to put in to making the dash. it all adds up. sounds like rmd was farming most of it out. that adds cost also.. i'll tell ya mopar guys want, want, want till they see the price of something. its like they don't think the seller should make anything on a product. go with that ugly flimsy plastic thing for $100 then.

Agreed!!! From vendors I've spoken with, this is a problem in developing Mopar products. Every Mopar guy wants the "cool" stuff, whatever that may be, but not many are willing to shell out the coin for it. We all want a good deal, but quality needs to be paid for when it's due. And while I don't have an RMD dash, to me it seemed it was due. Just wish I was able to get in on it while it lasted.

I still think someone should build one, have a fiberglass mold produced and go at them in fiberglass. Investment would easily be recouped and the production could be outsourced for a reasonable price if you connect with a local 'glass guy.

maybe they dont want to coin out the money maybe because other makes dont have to pay that pretty penny. I know I get pissed off at the price of Mopar parts. I love my mopar, but prices are killing me, but would never change.

The laws of supply and demand apply... Plus, different is almost always more expensive.

I don't really care for some of the prices either but I deal. The only options we have are to pay it, build it our selves, or be angry. The only one of those three options that gets NO additional progress on our builds is being angry... We could also switch to Camaros but I doubt most of us are interested in that as an option.

The thing that drives me nuts, is that I can't get all the super cool stuff that GM and "some" Fords get; billet this/billet that, carbon fiber hoods, fenders, decklids, interior coolness etc. Alot of that most of us don't have the capability to build; and if we did and we trying to offset some of our costs for doing so and we build a run, Mopar guys want it but are upset about the price in order to recoup costs, time, energy, creativity, etc.

I have no problem paying for the goods, I've got a lot of money already in some real cool things for my build that are not "have to haves". I'm going to contract someone to build me an SRT hood, I'm going to pay 2-3 times what it would cost to buy if it were produced by a company. Unfortunately supply and demand apply again and it seems Mopar guys only want 6 pack or Hemi scooped hoods for old A-bodies... My build will take longer because of the extra cost, but it's going to be perfect for me.

It is my choice, why do you think their company went out of Business? Not enough people wanted to shell out the money. And i will because its not going to matter if its plastic or metal. Why? Seems like Mopar was alright with plastic for their original dash in duster/darts. But either way it is a nice item to have and I sure either way if the price was lower many more people would have one including me.

From what I had read at the time the reason they went out of business had nothing to do with how many they sold or didn't sell.

The laws of supply and demand apply... Plus, different is almost always more expensive.

I don't really care for some of the prices either but I deal. The only options we have are to pay it, build it our selves, or be angry. The only one of those three options that gets NO additional progress on our builds is being angry... We could also switch to Camaros but I doubt most of us are interested in that as an option.

The thing that drives me nuts, is that I can't get all the super cool stuff that GM and "some" Fords get; billet this/billet that, carbon fiber hoods, fenders, decklids, interior coolness etc. Alot of that most of us don't have the capability to build; and if we did and we trying to offset some of our costs for doing so and we build a run, Mopar guys want it but are upset about the price in order to recoup costs, time, energy, creativity, etc.

I have no problem paying for the goods, I've got a lot of money already in some real cool things for my build that are not "have to haves". I'm going to contract someone to build me an SRT hood, I'm going to pay 2-3 times what it would cost to buy if it were produced by a company. Unfortunately supply and demand apply again and it seems Mopar guys only want 6 pack or Hemi scooped hoods for old A-bodies... My build will take longer because of the extra cost, but it's going to be perfect for me.

well said will! my thoughts exactly. alot of of us have other hobbies or multiple cars that spread us thin. i have been fortunate that i have retained my good job through the last couple tough years and i have the ability and accesibility to some nice equipment to make some cool stuff. i get so sick of the camaro's and all their run of mill off the shelf parts. i have a good friend with one and that topic always comes up. you can't build a "different camaro" anymore. there are alot of things i would like to do to my car,but i either just do not have the time,or it is just not worth the money to me. all of us on here are unique just because we drive these cars,you just don't see them anymore! i can and do appreciate the guys building dashes that take some time,as long as they don't look hillbilly. i mean some people just shouldn't try to make stuff.
the only reason i post my stuff is to help people with ideas more than showing off what i can do. it sucks sometimes to not have heat or air,but as long as i can outrun a C6 vette in the autocrosses like i have been,i'm happy!

how do you like your 5 spd.?

I love the 5 speed would do again makes the car very drivable in many ways.
I think I must have been one of the first to buy the RMD.
The only problem I had was how to finish it.Tried several ways
and since I'm a RAT FINK fan (even have a couple of RAT FINK tattoo's)
and the Demon is a made car I had it painted (see my photos)
When comparing the cost of restoring a rally dash or using the ugly
plain dash the RMD wasn't that bad all the instruments are modern and
in the dash.Not hanging all over the place.Items needed to produce this
dash would be a cnc mill (large) for the plate - lathe to turn the instrument pods
tig welder to weld together - brake to bend - band saw to cut angle on pods -
jigs - tooling - customer service - shipping = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

my work in progress:

2lc8qr4.jpg

21eudk2.jpg

qx4geg.jpg

I found it on Ebay, thanks to AbodyJoe. Paid $475 shipped to my door. Expensive, yes. But I WANTED it and had to have it...To hell with trying to make this son of a *****...

oh, whatever you do , do not us a blue led for the high beam. holy crap that thing lights up the entire damn car and blinds ya. its bad. i have to put something over the damn thing one of these days until i buy a red one or something

Put a stronger resistor on the blue LED and it will dim it

two brothers were in business together. one got busy with a regular job and family and had to exit the business, the one stayed on longer and was never really into it. or something to that effect. its not like it was some kind of big company making those things. just two guys that wanted a dash, made one then others wanted one so they started making them from what i understand. everyone thinks these places are multi million dollar companies. these guys have to buy the equipment to make them, keep up said equipment and be paid for their time if they are the ones building the things. i sure wouldn't be doing it out the goodness of my heart. if they have to depend on other shops to make them then your talking quite a bit of expense there also.

if they can be made so cheap then go for it man. design and start building them, then sell them for under $200.

two brothers were in business together. one got busy with a regular job and family and had to exit the business, the one stayed on longer and was never really into it. or something to that effect. its not like it was some kind of big company making those things. just two guys that wanted a dash, made one then others wanted one so they started making them from what i understand. everyone thinks these places are multi million dollar companies. these guys have to buy the equipment to make them, keep up said equipment and be paid for their time if they are the ones building the things. i sure wouldn't be doing it out the goodness of my heart. if they have to depend on other shops to make them then your talking quite a bit of expense there also.

if they can be made so cheap then go for it man. design and start building them, then sell them for under $200.

Why would i try to build one if I didnt even want to even buy one? I did say I would like to have one because I like the way they look, but just like an expensive car I wouldnt mind having one either.

But im not paying 30 plus thousand for a car that does 11-12s like the corvette or new mustang or a dash that cost 500 plus when I can build one for way less than that. If I had the time and tools, I would build them and sell them for less, but i dont. I do however have the time to build the car at periods of time.

Either way nice dash and love the way your car is coming.

But im not paying 30 plus thousand for a car that does 11-12s like the corvette or new mustang or a dash that cost 500 plus when I can build one for way less than that. If I had the time and tools, I would build them and sell them for less, but i dont. I do however have the time to build the car at periods of time.

Either way nice dash and love the way your car is coming.[/QUOTE]

thanks!

Attachments

• gauge cluster.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 615
I bought my insert from Fastlane West
http://fastlanewest.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=21_206_48
I thought about the Redline insert, but decided against cutting my own holes and messing up.

I bought my gauges from Speedhut
http://www.speedhut.com/custom_gauge_description-gauge_type-Kit-auto_number-807.htm

It's not as nice as the Rocky Mountain Unit, but I'm happy with the look.

that looks great! just a different look. it just doesn't have that racey look as much,has more of a classy look. looks like you used the same wrinkle powder coat that i did. did you just tap into the factory wiring for the gauges?

agreed^^ wish they tried to look like the rmd instead of just cut holes, but much better then what i have haha

Talked to Fastlane West today. They told me they are coming out with a heavier version in 6 to 8 weeks and also will have a blank so you can put your own holes in.
They will go from .90 thick to .125 thick.

that looks great! just a different look. it just doesn't have that racey look as much,has more of a classy look. looks like you used the same wrinkle powder coat that i did. did you just tap into the factory wiring for the gauges?

No powder coat, just the way the plastic was made to look.

Since the gauges are all electric I had to do some tweaking, but it just goes with the territory since I am installing a 5.7 hemi from an 05 truck using the factory computer. I am pretty much rewiring and making improvements wherever I feel like it. I added an led for the brake warning light and an led for the high beam light. If I remember right it came with leds for the turn signal lights. I just wish I were closer to getting it on the road.

-
Back