rod into master cylinder needed 69 dart/ opinion on JB welding it

-

1969dodgedartgt

Reaction score
greetings,
employees at S_____e, did a great cheap job replacing my master cylinder but they broke the rod that goes into the cylinder. They said they JB welded it but I just noticed that if I pull the brake pedal back, the rod (or one part of it) comes out through the firewall and falls down. I'd really hate for that to happen while im driving....

point being if my talking/yelling at them to correct the problem doesnt get some results, I may need a new rod.

does any one have this piece which will fit a 69 dart? an what are you asking for it? zip 95616

also may I ask the noob question as to whether you think its safe to jb weld, such a vital part.

NOTE there is no booster on this
IMG_2102.jpg

IMG_2103.jpg

IMG_2105.jpg

Thanks for your time

heres a pic of the piece, is this the brake piston? and a pic of it hanging out

if that rod falls out...you have no brakes...

You can get a new one or adjustable one from the dealer.Do NOT drive til fixed properly!
Oh and why are you pulling your pedal back?

Really?????? They gave you back an unsafe car???????? No way JB weld, new/used rod at their expense.

Your welcome Lucy :-D

No way that pushrod got broken installing a master.

Hmm, I can't believe a shop would JB weld that piece, why not at least try and "weld" it?? I might be able to set you up with a rod, but you might have to buy a reman master cyl. I work at an auto parts store, and can find almost anything. A reman master shouldn't cost more than 40 or 50 dollars. Do you have disc brakes with the dual reservoir?

They couldn't get the rod out and broke it. This was a problem I had and what I had to do.

http://www.bigblockdart.com/forum/s...t-FINAL-UPDATE-3-28&highlight=master+cylinder

Hey 1969DodgeDartGT, in answer to your PM I probably have one for you but I'm in RI currently. I will call home tomorrow and try to have my neighbor find it. The reason you can't see the link is because I think you have to have 5 posts before you get full privileges on BBD.
There's a lesson for the rest of you here if you've never replaced a master on these cars.

Jim

Do they look like this????

Attachments

• IMGP5697.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 228
If you can use this one you're welcome to it. Measure carefully, even 1/4" difference will make a difference. Good luck.

Attachments

• jsw_img_2041.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 225
ABSOLUTELY NOT !
Thou shalt not gerry rig brakes.
Can I get a amen ?
We are all better off with cars that wont go than cars that wont stop.

Amen to that brother.

If I were him I'd take all the evidence, including pictures, to corporate for the shop he took it to and raise hell. Their actions and advice put his life in jeopardy. Whoever told him that should be fired on the spot.

You can get a new one or adjustable one from the dealer.Do NOT drive til fixed properly!
Oh and why are you pulling your pedal back?

I was down there gerry rigging my break light switch to work, and just happend to pull the pedal back a bit.

I probably pulled it back because thats how I happened to find the cause of my original brake problem. I had a leak that I could not find. Then one day I pulled the brake pedal back a bit and saw that it caused fluid to come out through the master cylinder into my cabin.

some of you might really hate this, you might like it, but i like my brake light switch gerry rig, heres a pic.

IMG_2104.jpg

thats a quarter that i JB welded on :p ( i should have tried to find a 69 quarter?)

This is gona fix the problem of the pedal medal not hitting the switch. I feel fine gerry rigging the lights but the mechanical brakes make me worry. glad to know my worry is well founded in your guys eyes.

peace

took it back, and they are going to fix it. (no charge)
I'll let them worry about measurements and finding the right size.
thanks again

I like your picture, plus you added $0.25 value to your car. Don't forget to add that into the price when you sell it. (LMAO)

I hope those idiots know about the rubber retainer that goes on the groove in the rod. That's what holds the rod into the master.

It's a$$holes like that that give the auto repair industry a bad name. I would not trust them to replace the rod. It looks like they didn't know about the rubber rod retainer in the back of the master and broke the rod off. Take up on cjh's offer for the rod and do it yourself. That way it will be done right. Don't juryrig the brakes, DON'T

It's a$$holes like that that give the auto repair industry a bad name. I would not trust them to replace the rod. It looks like they didn't know about the rubber rod retainer in the back of the master and broke the rod off. Take up on cjh's offer for the rod and do it yourself. That way it will be done right. Don't juryrig the brakes, DON'T

I agree. Trust the masters......US!

And go to E-Bay and buy a shop manual, it's well worth the price. Here's the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969...00154668246QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature

Hmm, I can't believe a shop would JB weld that piece, why not at least try and "weld" it?? I might be able to set you up with a rod, but you might have to buy a reman master cyl. I work at an auto parts store, and can find almost anything. A reman master shouldn't cost more than 40 or 50 dollars. Do you have disc brakes with the dual reservoir?

drum brakes all way round, they didnt have welding equipment.

I like your picture, plus you added $0.25 value to your car. Don't forget to add that into the price when you sell it. (LMAO)

I hope those idiots know about the rubber retainer that goes on the groove in the rod. That's what holds the rod into the master.

I agree. Trust the masters......US!

And go to E-Bay and buy a shop manual, it's well worth the price. Here's the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969...00154668246QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature

to check that this rubber piece is there when they are done, can i pull back on the pedal to see if it comes out? or can i check this easily without getting brake fluid all over the inside of my car again? maybe i should just ask to see it when they install.

I'll buy that repair manual next pay check, my haynes repair manual does not show the pieces we are talking about.

drum brakes all way round, they didnt have welding equipment.

to check that this rubber piece is there when they are done, can i pull back on the pedal to see if it comes out? or can i check this easily without getting brake fluid all over the inside of my car again? maybe i should just ask to see it when they install.

I'll buy that repair manual next pay check, my haynes repair manual does not show the pieces we are talking about.

The rubber piece only holds the push rod in the master piston. If it's not there the rod will come out if the brake pedal is pulled up. No brake fluid will come out. Your old one was leaking at the piston.

-
Back