"Rookie-Touring" '69 Dart

-
be carefull Will....as you might have already found out....the "force" is powerfull

Help me Obi-Wan Denny. You’re my only hope...

Sounds like you need a Pondo-Combo Benjamin. Build a Twofer. Make it do both. There are some pretty looking floggers out there.

Yeah, My second one will take all the performance developments from my first one, and integrate them into a whole package. I want it to be a reasonable substitute for a Aston Martin. Fast, and perfectly developed. Unfortunately, that takes a lot of time and more money then I'll have while I'm still in school. So I'm building my beater to kick butt and take names in the meantime. And even it will be pretty underneath! haha!

Yeah, My second one will take all the performance developments from my first one, and integrate them into a whole package. I want it to be a reasonable substitute for a Aston Martin. Fast, and perfectly developed. Unfortunately, that takes a lot of time and more money then I'll have while I'm still in school. So I'm building my beater to kick butt and take names in the meantime. And even it will be pretty underneath! haha!

a Jensen Interceptor?

Say hello to my little friend...

file-77.jpg

a Viper powerplant/drivetrain in an A-Body....thats gonna' be as bad as.........a time machine made out of a Deloreon

looks like now you'll be starting over.. but i guess one just has to keep feedin' that draggon

yes and no. With respect to the engine, it's just a matter of pulling the Hemi, cutting of the mounts and installing the new. The steering rack could be the problem. But I have options for that AND the V10 is not as tall as the Hemi so it can sit a bit higher in the bay. I'll need a bitt stiffer sway bar, but that's easy. Everything else is business as usual. I just need to make sure I have room for my feet...

I might need something with a bit more leverage Mark.

smart-car-shoe-horn.jpg

Now that is funny..... I can't wait to see what show's up next!

Question, How much more weight does the Viper engine add to the front suspension? I assume you can't move it back towards the firewall much.

Awesome Will. I finally got a viper transmission and I read that you cut your input shaft. If you need uncut input shaft for your build get in touch with me.

Joe

Will;
A couple of questions if you don't mind. It appears that the motor in the photo is a first generation 8.0 V-10 is that correct? How will you be handling the electronics for the motor? Custom made harness? Factory harness? Any thoughts on the air intake? Can you modify the original air box to fit to the custom hood you had made?
I also had a question about your renderings: The original rendering (Hemi Dart) shows round marker light/turn signals in the grill the second rendering shows rectangle ones. Have you decided which you are going to use? Also in the second rendering it looks almost like the car is a post. Is this because the window trim is shown in body color instead of chrome? Any thoughts on making that trim closer to the window color so it disappears?
The car looks awesome and can not wait to see new pics!
~Michael

Hemimark...what firewall??.....I believe he has already handled that challege

SwissWill....runs on garbage and flies?.......you appartently aren't paying attention to our new Obama fuel regulations here in the good ol' USA.....I think it those items are on the required list

Awesome Will. I finally got a viper transmission and I read that you cut your input shaft. If you need uncut input shaft for your build get in touch with me.

Joe

I'll keep you posted on this Joe, I may have a line on the shaft off the trans that was previously connected to this motor. Thanks.

Will;
A couple of questions if you don't mind. It appears that the motor in the photo is a first generation 8.0 V-10 is that correct? How will you be handling the electronics for the motor? Custom made harness? Factory harness? Any thoughts on the air intake? Can you modify the original air box to fit to the custom hood you had made?
I also had a question about your renderings: The original rendering (Hemi Dart) shows round marker light/turn signals in the grill the second rendering shows rectangle ones. Have you decided which you are going to use? Also in the second rendering it looks almost like the car is a post. Is this because the window trim is shown in body color instead of chrome? Any thoughts on making that trim closer to the window color so it disappears?
The car looks awesome and can not wait to see new pics!
~Michael

Michael,
The motor is a Gen 2, virtually the same but slightly different intake. I have the electronics for the engine and will be using them. Later down the road when I hit the lotto I may pick up the AEM unit because it offers unlimited expandability. It's virtually the same electronics I bought for the Hemi.

I'm planning a custom airbox in one of two variations, dependent on how far back I can stick the motor before I have to shorten my legs. If I can, I'm going to tilt the radiator into the engine compartment and use some smooth tubes to run the air intake over the radiator and in front of it. The alternative is to build a box that allows me to pull air directly from the scoop. I may play with both and do whichever is cooler.

When I first planned my build I was going to use a '68 grill and swap out the markers for driving lights with built in markers. After working with the artist on the second iteration, he felt it had a better look with the stock '69 markers and using Jeep driving lights molded into the bumper. I'm going to modify my stock bumper to accept the lights and am also thinking I'll open up the bottom of the bumper to work in conjunction with the front spoiler to direct air to the radiator. Then I'm going to build a mold from it and pull a 'glass bumper with the spoiler/splitter incorporated into the bumper as one piece.

You are correct on the chrome trim as well. It's body color in the rendering which does give it a bit of a post effect, unintended. I'm planning to mostly eliminate the chrome on the car. The trim will either be a satin black or body color. The mirrors in the rendering are also going to be different, I have a set of Gen 3 Viper mirrors that I'll be using.

Happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Now that is funny..... I can't wait to see what show's up next!

Question, How much more weight does the Viper engine add to the front suspension? I assume you can't move it back towards the firewall much.

This generation motor weighs about 100 lbs more than the Hemi. I'm going to move it back as far as possible without intruding too much on leg room. The V10 is more narrow than the Hemi and not as tall so that will help. My whole reasoning for not doing it originally was the excess weight, but I came to my senses realizing the intent of the car is not a dedicated track car. It's a daily driver first that will see regular autox duty as well as a few track days a year. Considering that, I want the wow factor!

Hemimark...what firewall??.....I believe he has already handled that challege

SwissWill....runs on garbage and flies?.......you appartently aren't paying attention to our new Obama fuel regulations here in the good ol' USA.....I think it those items are on the required list

Definitely not paying attention Denny, sorry to disappoint. I figure you got a handle on all of that so I'm covered. Plus, if you can put a Hemi in yours, my "little" V10 will be just fine with respect to fuel...

This generation motor weighs about 100 lbs more than the Hemi. I'm going to move it back as far as possible without intruding too much on leg room. The V10 is more narrow than the Hemi and not as tall so that will help. My whole reasoning for not doing it originally was the excess weight, but I came to my senses realizing the intent of the car is not a dedicated track car. It's a daily driver first that will see regular autox duty as well as a few track days a year. Considering that, I want the wow factor!

I went back and read this thread for the third time, saw the picture with no firewall and now understand why you still have time and wiggle room with engine placement. I never gave much thought to the width of the V10 being less than the Hemi...... That's a good thing..... :thumblef:

Definitely not paying attention Denny, sorry to disappoint. I figure you got a handle on all of that so I'm covered. Plus, if you can put a Hemi in yours, my "little" V10 will be just fine with respect to fuel...

I forgot to tell you that my oldest son was just in Switzerland playing some ice hockey. He play's for

http://www.aev-panther.de/startseite.html

Will;
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I like the idea of eliminating all the chrome and I think the trim around the window glass will look fantastic in a satin black. Glad to see that you are retaining the 69 marker lights. I always preferred them to the round 68's. I am assuming the mirrors will be body color.
I recall reading in one of your early posts that you are like 6'2 so leg room is important. It would be cool if you could get enough clearance to run the air intake tubes over and in front of the radiator but I am sure with your skills it would look great either way.
When you referred to the AEM unit were you talking about the AEM EMS w/UEGO?

~Michael

I went back and read this thread for the third time, saw the picture with no firewall and now understand why you still have time and wiggle room with engine placement. I never gave much thought to the width of the V10 being less than the Hemi...... That's a good thing..... :thumblef:

Man you have a lot of time on your hands. If you're bored, you can drive to Michigan and make yourself busy. Plenty of stuff to do there in Michigan...

That's awesome your son plays hockey in Germany. How long has he been there? How's his German? Mine sucks! To my credit, between full-time school, two jobs, a wife, training for triathlons, and trying to research building a car, I don't have much time for learning German.

Will;
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I like the idea of eliminating all the chrome and I think the trim around the window glass will look fantastic in a satin black. Glad to see that you are retaining the 69 marker lights. I always preferred them to the round 68's. I am assuming the mirrors will be body color.
I recall reading in one of your early posts that you are like 6'2 so leg room is important. It would be cool if you could get enough clearance to run the air intake tubes over and in front of the radiator but I am sure with your skills it would look great either way.
When you referred to the AEM unit were you talking about the AEM EMS w/UEGO?

~Michael

My pleasure Michael. I'm a bit larger than 6'2", more like just shy of 6'6", so all the leg room I can get is vital. That is actually part of the reason I designed the back brace I did out of 1x2 for my chassis. 2x4 would have been stronger and I would not have to reinforce down the tunnel via a mess of tubes, but I would also lose precious space for exhaust and headroom. Exhaust would have to run under the floor and the floor would then be about level with the top of the inner rocker, no good. I have recessed my floor and gained about 1"-2" of headroom from a stock Dart floor. I'm also going to be reworking the mounts on the Viper buckets to try and gain a few extra 1/16th's. I'm hoping to be able to tilt the radiator back as well, give it kind of a Corvette C6R feel. I'm not 100% sure the AEM unit is the UEGO but it could be. I've been talking with the guys of Roe Racing and Woodhouse Performance about electronics, and they haven't mentioned the UEGO, but that could be it.

-
Back