Ross' Aspen

-

res1vw21

It's only metal
Reaction score
Well I know it's not an A body but here it is, my Aspen.

My aspen started life as a '78 se in baby **** brown with a part vinyl top. It was ugly. When I first saw her I wanted to cut the kmeber out and drop it in the '49 Plymouth 2dr that my dad has as a parts car to his '49 Plymouth special deluxe drop top with a m body front clip and a 331 hemi. I was 9 at the time.

My pop knew I would start playing with cars so he kept the aspen and we cut up an '82 doba instead. When I was about 14 I started to se what the aspen could be and started to research what I wanted to turn her into.

When I was in high school I took some body classes and brought the aspen to school where I started to strip her down and fix the dents and rust. She had some of rust in all the usual F body places and I dove in head first. I also started to collect all the parts I needed to turn her into a R/T cloan with a twist.

When was in high school there were lots of little rice rockets running around and I wanted to build something that would beat them all, so I started to get crazy ideas in my head and convinced my dad to buy me an 11.71:1 366. I also bought a close ratio big block a body 4spd and a '68 b body 8 3/4. The idea was to go fast and not break anything.

Anyway back to the restoration part after I got out of high school I still had 318 904 8 1/4 primer gray aspen that wasn't all that fast but I had all the go fast goodies sitting in the garage. I took the 318 out and started to clean the bay to paint it and sure enough one thing led to another and I decided that if it is all apart I may as well take the time to do the body work right and make the car look decent.
At the time I still didn't know how to really do proficient body work so I found a body man on craigs list and took the car to his shop. He looked at the car and said two weeks we can have this thing in and out and painted. I thought sweet for 2 grand and I help do the sanding that’s not such a bad deal. It was supposed to be painted for sunbust in late august. We worked on the car and it soon became apparent that all the body work needed to be redone so the car was taken back out of primer and the work started. I had done very little right. I learned as much as I could and started to pick it up quickly.

In about October of ’06 I got busy with work and community college so I didn’t go to his shop as often and little did I know that was my biggest mistake. He started to drag his feet and pretty soon it was hard just to get a hold of him, o yha he always “needed” more money because the original amount was for if we didn’t have to take it back to metal . I actually had almost forgotten about my car until summer of ’07 when we started to work on it a bit more, but at this time I was racing hydro planes and having lots of fun with Tara.

’07 rolls around and not much has happened to my car I still am collecting parts for here but my direction has change I now want to build a really fast road race car for taking to the track and racing. At this time I have about 13K into the car including a complete suspension upgrade and rebuild. I still don’t have the car back but I have all the parts except the body. I decide that I will let the guy store my car for free as long as I can, and finish collecting everything for her.

’08 rolls around any I finally get a call from him saying that he can’t afford to store it much longer, and it is almost ready for paint. I say cool, let me come up there and help you finish it up since I know what I am doing now and we can get her painted and out of there. Every time I try to go up there he has an excuse, usually along the lines of I forgot you were going to come up, or I have to go to court… Anyway I didn’t visit the aspen once this last summer despite the fact I planned to at least a dozen times. I finally got a hold of him in October and after being dicked around for 3 weeks I went and got my car back.

Sorry for such a long winded intro, lets get to some pics. I am trying to do these in chronological order but I don’t have the first ones because they were on film. O and I now have about 18 grand into the car and I figure 17 different aspens and volares have gone into building mine.

Cars 075.jpg

Cars 076.jpg

Cars 077.jpg

Cars 080.jpg

Cars 078.jpg

Cars 083.jpg

Engine.jpg

Cars 087.jpg

Cars 113.jpg

Cars 119.jpg

I think the pics are kinda in order, unfortunately it seams like you never always remember to grab the camera.

Cars 114.jpg

Cars 116.jpg

DCP_2314.jpg

DCP_2845.jpg

DCP_2847.jpg

DCP_2852.jpg

DCP_2854.jpg

DCP_2938.jpg

DCP_2966.jpg

DCP_2978.jpg

It is interesting to see what color will do to a car, how bad it can look when it is 10 colors of bondo and paint verses when it is all one color say of primer. The wheels I got on a parts car and glass beaded them until they were nice again. It was a very happy day the day that 318 finally came out. Those are my friends in the pics. The orange motor is the 11.78:1 366.

DCP_3035.jpg

711959_33_full.jpg

DCP_3288.jpg

DCP_3485.jpg

DCP_3487.jpg

DCP_3486.jpg

DCP_3489.jpg

DCP_3500.jpg

DCP_3521.jpg

DCP_3584.jpg

I did some modification to the grill, where I deleted he emblem. I also smoothed some body lines and changed some other things, like deleting the side marker lights and antenna.

I like a flush look to a car and am smoothing out and shortening the bumpers, as well as smoothing out everything else that I can.

I am thinking about smoothing the door handles, what do you think? I also am thinking about deleting the gas tank filler and putting it in the trunk.

DCP_3590.jpg

DCP_3577.jpg

DCP_3685.jpg

DCP_3664.jpg

DCP_3669.jpg

DCP_3684.jpg

DCP_3566.jpg

DCP_3589.jpg

These are pics from yesterday and today when I got the car back. I finished up some body work and then shot the car in dp90lf to seal the entire thing. She is now going to be stored until I have all of the suspension parts to make her handle like she is on rails. I am thinking of all the little things I can do to make her that much more different then all the other f bodies, any suggestions?

DCP_4299.jpg

DCP_4300.jpg

DCP_4302.jpg

DCP_4304.jpg

DCP_4308.jpg

DCP_4312.jpg

DCP_4314.jpg

DCP_4316.jpg

DCP_4319.jpg

DCP_4315.jpg

Nice looking paint job you got going there. It sure looks better in one color. Post some more when you get the fenders and hood on. I like the tail high A body you have in the fourth to the last picture. Nice looking 72 scamp. Hopefully you will post some pics of it's progress too!

Nice progress. My uncle had one of the F-Body Road Runners they look sharp with a killer stance. With the A-Body stuff getting more scarce and pricey I think the F-Bodies will become more popular. Can't wait to see more of it as progress is made. Great job so far!

Looking great :cheers:
You move like a bumble Bee young man!!:tongue9:
And your work looks :thumbrig:

Great progress,reminds me of when I was younger(get working and don,t wanna stop)Keep it up your doing great!!

A few more pics now that it is daylight. It got left out because I had no help to push her in so when it rained the dp90 got water stains. o well its only a sealer coat.

DCP_4325.jpg

DCP_4323.jpg

DCP_4322.jpg

DCP_4327.jpg

DCP_4331.jpg

DCP_4329.jpg

Thanks for all the comments! This F body is really my baby and I only got into A bodies after I didn't have my aspen for a few years. Not that I was substituting an A for an F but she was my first.

Quote=substituting an A for an F but she was my first. Cool :-D

The first is looking good :cheers: Congratulations

Sinner!

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k199/360scamp/***%20Mopar%202008%20show/100_1048.jpg
:snakeman::toothy10::snakeman:

:I knew I would see it again somewhere:toothy10::toothy10: Still laughing :cheers:

you are a bastard! :thebirdm::thebirdm::thebirdm::thebirdm::thebirdm::thebirdm: it was such a nice thread about f bodies until you had to go and do that.

Sinner!

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k199/360scamp/***%20Mopar%202008%20show/100_1048.jpg
:snakeman::toothy10::snakeman:

Nice build. You are realy going strong on this on. I like the F-bodies. Why? I don't know. I just do. Way to be different and good luck.

an A body and an F is the transverse front suspension. The F bodys handled much better. I special ordered a new 78 Volare' in 78. Black/black. I loved it. You should think about getting the 78 quarter window louvers though. The 76-77's don't look as good in my opinion. You are doing it once and doing it right. Gotta love it.
I kept my 318/999 for about 3 years then went with a 340/727/8 3/4 with hookers. Loved it till a fire took it away. Good luck.

-
Back