Rust, dirt in gas tank?

-

TF360

Reaction score
My fuel pump was bad after 6 months. So I replaced it and added a new clear filter. Noticed some tiny rust and sediment particles in the filter. Can I add a second filter before the pump of will that hurt performance? Anyone added a second fuel filter? That's until I replace the tank

I cant see a problem of adding a second filter,upstream of fuel pump. My choice,would be the biggest filter i could find. Even a big remote filter with replaceable cartridge.

Years ago @slantsixdan made a great point about using stock fuel pumps. If you're using a stock mechanical pump they do way better at pushing the gas to the carb, not pulling it from the tank. Installing a fuel filter before the pump can cause more trouble than it's worth.

He also made a great point about those clear fuel filters -- don't use 'em. Get quality metal ones such as Wix brand.

As far as the particles in your fuel filter that's normal unless you've replaced both your gas tank and fuel hard lines in recent years.

Yea, and it sat (not running) for about a while too.

I didn't hear "until I replace the tank" did I? That is the first thing you should do. You may find it needs a sender once you get in there to take a look. I replaced the lines, filter and had to overhaul the carb. You may be there too.

Years ago @slantsixdan made a great point about using stock fuel pumps. If you're using a stock mechanical pump they do way better at pushing the gas to the carb, not pulling it from the tank. Installing a fuel filter before the pump can cause more trouble than it's worth.
Which is probably why post #2 says to use a large filter......generally less flow restriction.

You may run into an issue pulling fuel until pump gets a prime,a vacuum pump or suction gun may help. I run a filter before my fuel pump on my power wagon,its a dodge efi filter. Metal canister. Its been there for years.

A second filter really does nothing. It will simply plug up the first filter in the line. A larger capacity filter is what you need. From my experience, once you have that fine rust color crap in your tank you will be way ahead of the game to just install a new tank. If its the original tank it likely needs to be replaced anyways due to rust and dents.

In a perfect world you have a filter pre and post pump. That's how aLL the aeromotive systems are set up. I have a brand new tank and my pre filter will still catch crap once in a while.

Yea, just looking to buy myself some time before removing the tank. Don't want to damage the new pump or clog the carb with any particles

The longer you wait the more sedimate will collect in the float bowl. You will probably need to overhaul the carb anyway.

you place a large 40-100 micron filter before the pump (gerotor or EFI style) and then the fine <34 one before the carb/injectors. Now the Bosch Jetronic fuel filters were uber fine (5 microns!) as the pinholes in those distribution valves were microscopic. BTW, you already run 2 filters...the sock being 1 and the inline being #2 but the sock is most likely gone now. The one I took out was just rust, and when I blew compressed air in from the line side, it just went up in a cloud of dust.

Last edited:
-
Back