SAD..Seasonal affective disorder.. how do you northern guys deal with it?

-
My snowmobile buddie is my wife LOL and I've always said that I like the snowmobiling more cuz it's more involving. I really don't go that fast most of the time as they are mountain sleds for going deep into the forest...
Also I don't have to lie to be cool, it just comes natural...
RSie here is something for you to do all winter, jaw with this guy
:)
:D
:lol:
:rofl:

Hoe.JPG

Have kids, they’ll keep you busy all the time. For me, Monday night is band practice, Wednesday’s are wrestling meets, Friday’s are date night with Nella and Mama, Saturday is horseback riding or wrestling tournaments, and Sunday is my day in the shop. It’s 6:00am, we just drove 1 1/2 hours through the driving rain, in the dark, to go to a wrestling tournament. There’s not a day that going to the barn with Nella doesn’t lift my spirits high! Want action in the winter? Have kids, or rent mine! They work for food!

9630A3FC-7028-4173-9E3D-8EC508B7840C.jpeg

Have kids, they’ll keep you busy all the time. For me, Monday night is band practice, Wednesday’s are wrestling meets, Friday’s are date night with Nella and Mama, Saturday is horseback riding or wrestling tournaments, and Sunday is my day in the shop. It’s 6:00am, we just drove 1 1/2 hours through the driving rain, in the dark, to go to a wrestling tournament. There’s not a day that going to the barn with Nella doesn’t lift my spirits high! Want action in the winter? Have kids, or rent mine! They work for food!

View attachment 1715450971
Got one, that's enough, lol. He does keep us busy with Hockey though, so I get out to his games at least twice a week.

RSie here is something for you to do all winter, jaw with this guy
:)
:D
:lol:
:rofl:
I wouldn't want to take away from the jawing between you two! :)
Not into snowmobiles, had them when I was a teenager. Seemed like I spent more time fixing the damn things than using them. Just when you get it where you want, there's no snow.

I live in Wisconsin too. It can suck going to work in the dark and going home in the dark. You just have to make plans. Don't use "winter" as a prison sentence. We really haven't had much winter this year.... It's January and was 48 degrees here yesterday.. Get outside no matter what. I went shore fishing Christmas day... How often is that possible? I did a small construction project outside last weekend and painted my garage. Find a project or anything that gets you out... Go to a movie, take a long drive to a state park we have tons... Go ice fishin ! Get a gym membership... Even if it's to get out of the house and walk on a treadmill... Plus you get to see hot chics in tight pants!
You jinxed it! I agree it's been a pretty easy winter here.. just didn't say it. Supposed to get anywhere from 3-12" depending on which forecast you read. It's all your fault! :)

Oops
Not into snowmobiles, had them when I was a teenager. Seemed like I spent more time fixing the damn things than using them. Just when you get it where you want, there's no snow.
What year were those snowmobiles when you were a teenager?... Even the oldest snowmobiles I've had never broke down on me. I had one that was very hard to start and it got sold right quick like...

Oops

What year were those snowmobiles when you were a teenager?... Even the oldest snowmobiles I've had never broke down on me. I had one that was very hard to start and it got sold right quick like...
Yeah, that's almost 40 years ago, lol. My fav one was a Yamaha 440, electric start, heaters, pretty fancy for that time. My Dad traded a '71 Charger to a guy getting a divorce for a bunch of snowmobiles and cycles.. he didn't want his wife to get them. That Charger was the dirtiest car I've ever seen.. if you smacked the seat or headliner (or hit a good bump) so much dust would fill the inside you couldn't see, lol.
They're probably a lot more reliable now.. still don't want to put cash into another hobby.

Oops

I owned my last two sleds for 6 years. '98 ski doo 670 formulaZ and a 2000 Yamaha. Outside of maybe a boggie wheel or a set of 6" carbides, never touched them. I went the first 3 years on the same new plugs I installed when I bought them. Put thousands of miles on them. Times have changed since the 1974 Scorpion Whip :D

Yeah, that's almost 40 years ago, lol. My fav one was a Yamaha 440, electric start, heaters, pretty fancy for that time. My Dad traded a '71 Charger to a guy getting a divorce for a bunch of snowmobiles and cycles.. he didn't want his wife to get them. That Charger was the dirtiest car I've ever seen.. if you smacked the seat or headliner (or hit a good bump) so much dust would fill the inside you couldn't see, lol.
They're probably a lot more reliable now.. still don't want to put cash into another hobby.
So 40 years ago was 1980 and the sleds weren't brand new then I'm sure.. I Can Only Imagine how unreliable and even worse yet how uncomfortable they were lol.. they've came Leaps and Bounds since then in reliability and anything 2012 or newer is going to be extremely modern and comfortable and I don't know the snowmobile that doesn't have hand warmers even back then... Again doing the math if you had 160 +direct Port injected 2-stroke power for every 500 lb of your car... Can you say yee ha...
I'm certainly not trying to push you to pay for something you don't want but definitely there's fun stuff to do in the winter time and if you have something to look forward to it takes this sadness away...

So 40 years ago was 1980 and the sleds weren't brand new then I'm sure.. I Can Only Imagine how unreliable and even worse yet how uncomfortable they were lol.. they've came Leaps and Bounds since then in reliability and anything 2012 or newer is going to be extremely modern and comfortable and I don't know the snowmobile that doesn't have hand warmers even back then... Again doing the math if you had 160 +direct Port injected 2-stroke power for every 500 lb of your car... Can you say yee ha...
I'm certainly not trying to push you to pay for something you don't want but definitely there's fun stuff to do in the winter time and if you have something to look forward to it takes this sadness away...
hey, now, I had a few of the 70's sleds. Arctic Cat Panther, at least 5 John Deeres, Kawasaki LTD, Kawasaki invader, Yamaha Exciter, probably forgetting a few as well... LOL.

I owned my last two sleds for 6 years. '98 ski doo 670 formulaZ and a 2000 Yamaha. Outside of maybe a boggie wheel or a set of 6" carbides, never touched them. I went the first 3 years on the same new plugs I installed when I bought them. Put thousands of miles on them. Times have changed since the 1974 Scorpion Whip :D
My buddy had one of those formulasz..
for whatever reason when you got in the gas you couldn't keep the front skis on the ground... I wasn't sure if it was some kind of limiter strap that wasn't hooked up or what, but man that thing would wheelie?!!...

My buddy had one of those formulasz..
for whatever reason when you got in the gas you couldn't keep the front skis on the ground... I wasn't sure if it was some kind of limiter strap that wasn't hooked up or what, but man that thing would wheelie?!!...
they made a lot of different CC formulaZ's. Mine was the 670. It was fast, super quick!!! I raced 700 MXZ's, 700 XCR's and held my own, but I raced 5 800 cc's different brands and I lost to them all. I could run with them up to about 70 mph and they'd slowly pull away.

I always used to think this was just baloney lazy bullshit. I'm in central Wisconsin.. go to work in the dark, sit in a office with a small window up above my head I can't see out of. Leave in the dark. When I get home, I just want to eat, and go to bed. No ambition. Lots of thoughts during the day..and just no energy to do anything. In the summer, the wife has a hard time getting me to come in by 10 on a weekday, having fun doing stuff. It's almost 8:30 and I'm not in bed yet.. odd for me right now.
Just wondering if any of you get this way in the winter.. and what you do, if anything, to get motivated.
Garage ,Heater, work on something, come inside, bang wife **** style, go watch tv and have a beer...plan on moving from the east coast to the gulf or northern cal.
California is full, sorry.lol too many east coast retirees have FLOODED our state and now its non stop people everywhere, lost, staring, spending tons of cash on junk and leaving on the beach, parks, streets..and making our once relaxed, clean, bum free ,peaceful military town into a tourist mecca full of unfamiliar unfriendly Maine accented oddballs wearing moon tans oblivious to the atmosphere/vibe they ruin. Not trashing or meaning to trash, I just wish it was you guys...mopar guys, not moon tan minivan driving nutjobs crashing into you with a 3 lane last minute sweep to make a right...and who always end a convo with "yeah yeah...sure, of course, thank you very much. Always 4 to 5 words...like an anxiousness to flee or get what they want and go..lol not all are that way....but those who are...boy do they make an odd impression on us.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughts, I know you mean well, and that's how I took it.
I'm not really 'sad', or depressed... just noticed I seem to have a lot less ambition than I usually do lately.
When I win the lotto I'll definitely check out the new sleds. :)

Thanks for the thoughts, I know you mean well, and that's how I took it.
I'm not really 'sad', or depressed... just noticed I seem to have a lot less ambition than I usually do lately.
When I win the lotto I'll definitely check out the new sleds. :)
Back when I hit a financial slump at one point..I felt the same. No fuel to keep the lil fires going...or if the list grows too long too fast.lol "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.."
The sun is inspiration... its good for our physical and mental well being.
Take up porting heads, that'll make the days fly by...seriously.

Last edited:
they made a lot of different CC formulaZ's. Mine was the 670. It was fast, super quick!!! I raced 700 MXZ's, 700 XCR's and held my own, but I raced 5 800 cc's different brands and I lost to them all. I could run with them up to about 70 mph and they'd slowly pull away.
My Pa was a Ski-Doo guy. I remember he had one with a round headlight on it, lol.

Winters aren’t to bad here in Oregon but it rains quite a bit. I’ve got no shop and a garage with to much crap. I spend a lot of winter using the Motor Trend Channel watching Hot Rod Garage and Road Kill. I’ve got a 2yr old keeps me busy til about 7pm every night.

Thank you all for the comments! Lots of good stuff here. :)

I've been in the PNW for 20 years after spending most of my life in Colorado (which gets about 300 days of sun a year). Talk about climate shock! Surprisingly, I found I could avoid gloomy weather issues by nature. At the moment, it's been a week since I even saw the sun, and it's likely to be another week plus before it comes back again. Non-stop rain and drizzle. The super short days don't help any either, with maybe 8 hours of daylight this time of year. I fight it by spending as much time as possible outdoors. At the moment it's just dropping the finest mist so I will be heading out shortly to scoop up the cubic yards of crap the nice roof man pushed off my shop and throw it in the burn pile.

An indoor tip that may help is to have lots of BRIGHT light. I moved to LED's a while ago, and they really make a difference. I haven't tried a happy light but my GF is going to so we'll see if that helps her. After dark I usually head to the shop since it's lit up like a runway. Nice and bright in there, get the heater going, turn on the tunes, pour an adult beverage, and get to work. I'll be pulling the slant out of the D-150 for a new timing chain when the sun goes down.

Beautiful sunny day here for once. Got outside for a couple hours and did some shoveling and got ice off the sidewalks. I've gotten more stuff done around the house today than I have in the last 2 weeks.

You jinxed it! I agree it's been a pretty easy winter here.. just didn't say it. Supposed to get anywhere from 3-12" depending on which forecast you read. It's all your fault! :)
Unfortunately I had a bad night too!

20200111_080503.jpg

20200111_080450.jpg

20200111_130557.jpg

20200111_080611.jpg

Yes. Thankfully I burn wood to heat my house to its all cleaned up and going to be added to my wood shed!
Well, that worked out for ya a bit at least. You have a lot less snow there than we do, we have about 6" even after the rain yesterday.

-
Back