Sanding floor pans Sucks

-

iw378

Reaction score
I've been cleaning up my floor pans this week. They all looked good except the drivers side front that I need to replace due to a few rust holes. I scraped the rubberized paint most of the way down and then sanded with 60 grit to get to bare metal. Looking for suggestions as to what to coat it with. I do not have a spray gun and was going to use the por 15. Whatcha think ? Or do I not need it since I will not be painting over any rust as it has been sanded off ? Other options ?
Thanks
qioi.jpg

No expert her at all but I have heard people using the armour coat for box liners. I know its durable and all just a suggestion. BTW not familiar with pot 15 ?

POR 15 = Overrated.

Roll on some rustoleum and call it a day.

1/2 qt rustoleum
15-20% penetrol
1oz japan dry

Id spray that sucker with some epoxy primer. you did all the work to make it clean, do it right!

My 15 year old did his floor with one coat of primer and
then 3 coats of industrial rust paint after I was done the welding,
he took his time and brushed it in thick .

Attachments

• 67 cuda resto 01 013.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 577
  • 67 cuda resto 01 004.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 574
  • 67 cuda resto 01 006.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 569
  • 67 cuda resto 01 021.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 554
  • 67 cuda 009.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 554
POR15 only adheres to rust. Not Bare metal or paint. After a while it will peel. Their new product is "Chassis saver" works the same and adheres better then POR15. Just some info you might want to think about. After all that work I would just have someone spray it with epoxy primer. That is what I used.

Attachments

• DSCN1249.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 540
  • DSCN1282.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 521
  • DSCN1284.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 540
Hey Wheels on your pans where the seats bolt down, near the tunnel, did you install the plates for the inboard seat bolts. Mine look just like it but I thought that they were added. maybe not

As stated prior to this post, Por15 will not stick! PO of my old Cuda applied it and it peeled from the bare metal surface. Use a good Epoxy Primer like PPG DP90LF. Has its own etching properties! No need for acid wash prior to application. Or take it to your local Linex sprayer and have it sprayed with that. Thin light plastic coating that completely seals the surface. Also dampens noise.

Another vote for Rustoleum. 27 bucks a gallon at Lowes. Caint beat it.

Rustoleum makes a spray zinc coating and it works great have used it on numerous things over the last 20+ years.

I would then brush on rustoleum in the color of your choice

I used 2 spray can of Rustoleum Bed liner in the Valiant and was able to do 2 coats on the entire floor and it looks great. Next is to do the same for the trunk of it

I mainly just sprayed it on the floor to see if I liked the texture for another project I am workin on doin for my Dart

Hey Wheels on your pans where the seats bolt down, near the tunnel, did you install the plates for the inboard seat bolts. Mine look just like it but I thought that they were added. maybe not

Those were put on at the factory for bucket seat cars. If it were a bench seat car it wouldn't have those.

Repops of them are now made though

I did POR-15 on my floorboards when I got the car. They were actually in pretty good shape and still had pretty good paint on them, but I wanted it sealed better, especially since I know old cars don't always seal that well. Just pulled the carpets the other day for my trans swap and the floor still looked brand new 3 years later. Didn't look like there were any spots lifting or anything, seemed like a good solid bond, even where I had to grind it down for the tunnel mods.

No expert her at all but I have heard people using the armour coat for box liners. I know its durable and all just a suggestion. BTW not familiar with pot 15 ?
X2-and you can buy it any color you whant.and if theres a place you cant get the wire brush It will stike...........

My informal test of Rustoleum's durability has told me that is the way to go. I painted my plow blade with it 3 years ago and it still looks great.

The oderless fumes from POR-15 are very toxic to say the lest.....A very good resporater plus good vetalation is a MUST....
I used POR-15 before. Never again.

-
Back