SB pilot shaft hole in crankshaft

-

B-onefan

Reaction score
I know that in some automatic equipped cars, that the pilot shaft hole in the crankshaft is not finish drilled for the bushing. My question is whether it is not finished to the proper diameter or is it depth, or both? I have a 74 318/ auto out of a Valiant and a 65 273/ auto out of a Dart. I need to put one of them in a 65 Valiant with the original 1965 4 speed ASAP. I know the 318 runs, but have no idea on the 273, but it is supposed to be "rebuilt". Both are stock 2 bbl motors, so I will keep the small clutch.

They are drilled deep enough but not finish reamed to size. NAPA used to offer a pilot bushing for them, but I think they are long discontinued because you can get the pilot bearing assembly that would fit the post '65 cars. The problem now is the '65 flywheel won't fit the crank hub right on the 74 engine. The flywheel will be smaller than the crank hub. I'd stick in the 273. Maybe pull the intake or drop the pan to check it first.

Won't the 273 crank go right into the 74 318, using the '65 flywheel and harmonic balancer? You also get the benefit of a forgerd crank with the '65.

They are drilled deep enough but not finish reamed to size. NAPA used to offer a pilot bushing for them, but I think they are long discontinued because you can get the pilot bearing assembly that would fit the post '65 cars. The problem now is the '65 flywheel won't fit the crank hub right on the 74 engine. The flywheel will be smaller than the crank hub. I'd stick in the 273. Maybe pull the intake or drop the pan to check it first.
Thanks, forgot about that. So, will the 273 be drilled to the finish size to install a pilot bushing?

I do know that some engines were not drilled deep enough. Maybe this was a B / RB only thing I don't know. I sure as heck would CHECK it.

I guess you could turn the center out larger in the 273 wheel

You could use a modern Jeep style pilot which fits in the crank register in the 68 / later engines with the 'big' register

hi, last time I checked, the O.D. of the crank register is same for 273 up to 360. the difference is the 273 I.D. is smaller where converter snout rides. those can be bored out to fit later converter snouts. so the 273 flywheel will bolt up. I have a friend, he put a 340 flywheel on back of his 273, fitted just fine!!!

hi, last time I checked, the O.D. of the crank register is same for 273 up to 360. the difference is the 273 I.D. is smaller where converter snout rides. those can be bored out to fit later converter snouts. so the 273 flywheel will bolt up. I have a friend, he put a 340 flywheel on back of his 273, fitted just fine!!!

I believe that is correct

That's new to me. I thought it was the whole enchilada was smaller. Thanks perfacar!

-
Back