Score! What did I do?

-

BigBlockBanjo

BigBlockBanjo
Reaction score
Well, I have been inducted into the world of early A-body Mopars. I recently snagged a '64 Valiant 200 4-dr.(ehm) Very decent white paint, Red interior with a factory V-8. It has the pushbutton auto (904, I guess) and I like the stance it has. VERY little, tiny rust spots in the trunk.
I got it for less than $1800.....so I don't think I got burned.
BUT, here's the deal:
The previous owner told me that the engine & tranny had been rebuilt, and the engine is -clean-....so I sort of believed him. After pulling the valve cover...I have my doubts. They put a later 318 heads and intake on the engine...I don't know if that's good or bad. My worry is that they reused the stock *mechanical* cam, and just used *hydraulic* parts everywhere else.
The heads are bad enough that I'm not starting it again until I pull the heads and clean everything up.
Other than that, the car is nice......I bought it as an "easy" ,oh well, project to have until I get my Orange Dart fixed. I like the little 4-dr. strangly, and although I miss my Swinger, I may keep the Plymouth too if I can fix it relativly easy.

That brings up a second option though......I have a 3/4 built 318 Poly motor in the shop (W/factory 2x4 intake).............could/should I simply finish that and stuff it in the Valiant, or should I fix the 273?

I'm all ears to any suggestions and comments...

Nice find, and from what you have said $1800 sounds like a great deal! As far as what way to go with it, maybe finish the 318 and throw that in while you do a real rebuild on the 273 And when its all said in done you'd have the original back in there and the 318 to find a home for. Regardless, good luck and get us some pics when you can!

They put a later 318 heads and intake on the engine...I don't know if that's good or bad. My worry is that they reused the stock *mechanical* cam, and just used *hydraulic* parts everywhere else.

What makes you think this is the case? There were far more hydraulic cam 273s produced than mechanical cam versions. All the 2 barrel 273s (which is what your car started with) had a hydraulic cam and in '64 the intake manifold bolts were vertical. If you wanted to put a 4 barrel carb and intake on a '64 273 it would be easier to swap 318 heads on it and get an aftermarket intake than it would be to find a '64-'65 4 barrel intake. If you had non adjustable rockers on a mechanical cam, you would have more noise than a shredder in a scrap yard. You may find that putting a 318 Poly in an early A is a nightmare due to no room for exhaust manifolds or headers.

What makes you think this is the case? There were far more hydraulic cam 273s produced than mechanical cam versions. All the 2 barrel 273s (which is what your car started with) had a hydraulic cam and in '64 the intake manifold bolts were vertical. If you wanted to put a 4 barrel carb and intake on a '64 273 it would be easier to swap 318 heads on it and get an aftermarket intake than it would be to find a '64-'65 4 barrel intake. If you had non adjustable rockers on a mechanical cam, you would have more noise than a shredder in a scrap yard.

I thought all 273s up through about 67 used the solid lifters. Checking my 65 shop manual, it stated all 273 2 and 4 barrel (as well as poly 318) were equipped with solid lifters. Pulled a 273 2 barrel out of a 66 Belvedere wagon and it too had solid lifters (still have the adjustable rockers/push rods from it).

Yeah. I'll have to post some pics later this week. :)
See, I was thinking like Dartman: all pre '67 small blocks used a solid cam/lifters with an adjustable valvetrain.....? I know that's when the 318 went from the "A" the the "LA" design.
Maybe it isn't? It does make some clatter...but it's not bad.
I'll keep ya posted...

have you checked the block to see if it's actually a 273? Maybe it's a rebuilt 318. By the way Congrats!!

No, I know it's a 273. I found the stamp.... It says it was made in Dec. of 64.
But, I looked at the heads again, and I believe they are just plain 318 heads......I'll try to find a number tomorrow. The only Mopar engines that I have experience with are the Poly 318 and the Slant Six. My 72 has a slant six with a Schneider cam, 4-bbl., ect. It's fun, fun, fun! People always ask me what size small block I have. :cheers: Some uneducated people have asked me where I found a 383 Dart. LOL.
But about a month ago: Rain + Cell Phone + Careless driver = Smashed rear of a '72 Swinger. :(
So, I plan on fixing the Swinger for sure, but I saw this Valiant, and I was hooked. So, I guess I have another little project.....
I found a CompCams 268 Xtreme Energy hydraulic cam and lifter kit for $180.00.
Hmmm.......

Would a Poly 318 Fit in a 64 Valiant?While you had the 273 running,did it run OK??Maybe you can just do a Cam and lifter swap in the 273.Easy to do with the engine still in the car.
Jim

\If the poly-head 318 (A engine) would fit in an early A, they never would have developed the narrower wedge head (LA engine) in 64. I believe the 2bbl 273 engines had hydraulic lifters, although some may have had the adjustable valvetrains.

Both of my 66 Darts 2bbl & 4bbl had solid lifters. If you have adjustable rocker arms in working condition (none of the adjusters stripped out )on your 273, stick a mild cam and new lifters in it. You'll get a good daily driver out of it.

The Poly 318 will physically fit, but.

1. There are no exhaust manifolds made for the A-body.
2. The reason for the LA design was to make a lighter, smaller engine that would permit an underhood exhaust system to be fitted. I think I read that the 273 weighed in 150 lbs less than the 318 Poly and only about 50 lbs more than the /6.

I believe that a cam & lifter swap is in order.......I'm browsing cams as we speak. I'm contemplating pulling the engine and inspecting everything...
And also from all that I've found....all 273 had solid lifters until about '67.
The 273 was the smallest Mopar V-8 at that time.....all 318's were Poly engines(wider than a LA 318) Yes...all Poly 318 were solid cam. I think the only small-block hydraulic cammed engine was the Dodge(?) 326 Poly. In '67 all A motors switched to the lighter, smaller LA style motor.
That's some of what I know....some of what I've found. :D
I tossed the Poly idea...that thing is heavy.
My 72 needs a 383........then I would sure keep the 273 in the Valiant.
Any cam recommended over another? I want a nasty cam in this one.....

Sounds like a nice find !

If you want to keep the 273 - go smaller on the cam. The extreme 268 might be bigger than the 273 can handle, my guess. Depends on what you are planning. For quickie swap I'd do something like a 340 stock cam, get a computer engine dyno simulator and run some different combos. You want to try and keep your torque band lower with the small displacement assuming you have stock gearing etc.

-
Back