Scrappers took my Dart!

-

JDMopar

Reaction score
Damnit to hell! Dang crack head scrappers snuck into my buddies property and took my old 66 Dart 4 door. I had bought it from him a few years ago, to get the stuff to convert my 65 Valiant wagon to a V8 auto on the column car. He said to leave it sit as long as I needed to, so I did. I went to check on it the other day, to see what I needed to do to get it drug up on the trailer to get it home. It had been sitting in an old road thru the woods on his property, and they came in from the other end of the road and drug it out. You could see where they drug it thru the woods, and loaded it up. It had evidently been gone for a while, just looking at the drag marks. My buddy is gone a lot doing construction work, and hadn't noticed it being gone...but couldn't see it from his house anyways. He's missing a few things as well. Not much point in calling the cops this far along. It was a good parts car, with all the stuff to convert to a V8 in an early A body. I was gonna get all the stuff out of it and sell the good body parts, and was gonna save the rear end for /6 Matt so he would have a spare. I just hope the money went to buy groceries for somebodies kids instead of up their nose! I hate friggin thieves!:violent1:

File a police report. Do you have the VIN? If things out there are like they are here the seller had to fill out their identification with the VIN to sell it. On top of that how many 66 Darts would be showing up at the scrap yard? The next thing they steal may be someones good car instead of a parts car. Call the police and try to save the next guy before he gets ripped off.

Sorry to hear this.
Have you gone to the scrap yard yet to see if by chance they still have it and possibly buy it back?
It's a long shot, but it might be worth a try.
I hate friggin thieves too.

tweekers suck. around here they steal copper sprinker lines and fittings , copper wire out of street lights, outdoor AC lines , anything and everything that is isnt bolted to the ground. they are even stealing iron storm drain grids

it should be legal to titty trap our yards.....blow some thieves up!

I had a moped (yeah, laugh all you want, it was fun!) That I had parked behind my garage one night and the scrounger trucks that run ahead of the trash trucks got it. I dont think they knew it was NOT scrap, it was pretty beat up and had 1976 tags on it! Ypu gotta question how desperate some of these people are. We had a forklift battery stolen off the charger in Phillippines. This thing weighed about 1/2 ton and they dragged it 500 yards through a jungle to the waters edge and must have hand loaded it onto a boat!! incredible....

...but what about your kids, family, friends, and pets? Unintended consequences.

Dad grew up when you put razor blades under your fender skirts so they wouldnt get stolen without losing some blood. Those times are long gone, some thief sued and won!

Sorry to hear this.
Have you gone to the scrap yard yet to see if by chance they still have it and possibly buy it back?
It's a long shot, but it might be worth a try.
I hate friggin thieves too.

I called around, but nobody remembers seeing it come thru...surprise, surprise! LOL. I never got the VIN # because I never intended on trying to get a title. It was just a scruffy old parts car. It's been gone long enough for weeds to sprout up where it was sitting. No sense calling the cops now, and it would be a low priority anyways. My buddy filed a police report about his stuff, and they noted the Dart on that report I think. I'll just chalk it up to experience, and not leave the next junker I buy sitting around. About 10 years ago, I lost a 73 Duster 340 4 spd car that I bought at a garage not far from where this Dart was. I bought it on a Monday from the garage owner for $200, and went back on saturday to get it. The IRS showed up on Wednesday unannounced and seized every bit of the dudes property for back taxes. Dude must have had a hundred cars sitting in a field behind his shop, and they were ALL gone! :banghead:

Same thing happened to me, but it was my 440 complete block and a 360
short block, I went to our scrap yard and had a copy of the report and got it back, I think I found out this crack head stolen it about 5 days after he took threw the scales, Man was I happy to see them setting aside, I think a friend of mine that was working there was going to save the 440 for his self... The thieves did not realize there is a camera on the scales so he got his no good @$$ hauled in to jail after I signed a bunch of paper work.. I think he was held for 3 days :wack:...

Same thing happened to me, but it was my 440 complete block and a 360
short block, I went to our scrap yard and had a copy of the report and got it back, I think I found out this crack head stolen it about 5 days after he took threw the scales, Man was I happy to see them setting aside, I think a friend of mine that was working there was going to save the 440 for his self... The thieves did not realize there is a camera on the scales so he got his no good @$$ hauled in to jail after I signed a bunch of paper work.. I think he was held for 3 days :wack:...

Good for you, memike! One less freak to worry about.(for a little while at least)

I know how you feel man. I just recently lost a 72 Scamp sort of the same way. My fault though, I took too long and it ended up with someone else. Not sure, but I hope it wasn't crushed.

We have those strap metal guys driving around the neighbourhood in their beater pick up trucks all the time, great if you need to unload a whole bunch of metal garbage off your property, but sucks when these guys take things that are not garbage. Lost a factory intake manifold for a 340 off a 70 Cuda and another time a set of 68 Barracuda front grille assemblies, I believe they didn't intentionally steal these items from me, in their eyes it probably looked like strap metal and they just didn't bother to verify.

My neighbor recently scrapped several cars that "friends" asked him to store close to 10 years ago. Gave all of them 3 calls a month for 3 months, not one of them came to pick up anything. So hauled them up the street and had an older guy and his Grandson pull the drive trains out of them and cut them into pieces and then haul them to the recycling center....

Things are only going to get worse as time goes by. I had my front door kicked in the other night.

Sorry about your parts car I'm just glad no one was hurt.

Wow, dude. That really sucks. Sorry to hear about it. I'm paranoid about the crack-heads around here. My garage sits behind the house, and the entry is off the alley in the back. It's kinda hard to see what's going on back there in the dark. Definitely going to need to invest in a couple floodlights and a security system when I bring my Fish home.

Sorry bout the car.. I can't see my garage very well from any of the windows in my house. I put up 6 flood lights on a motion detector, if someone walks into the yard it lights up like daytime.

Had some guy in the back yard a few weeks ago. Told me he was "just cleaning up old metal for me". Older guy, still wanted to go upside his head with the butt of my rifle.
I thought better of it and told him if I ever see him around again I'd shot him.
I've had scrappers yell at me when I get in their *** about going through the trash cans. Say they have the right to do it. whatever.

In my neck of the woods you don't dare throw out packaging for anything. They'll see it in your trash and come in your house to get it.

I got a great deal on my house because they cleaned it out. Heater, AC, water heater, wires, plumbing, even the friggin' screen door on the front of the house!

My buddy has had them hit his yard. Took SS leaf springs, body components, suspension, bumpers, etc... He's well armed but they waited until his truck was gone. Worst part- the neighbor saw them and told them to get lost - but never called the cops.

Had two people break into my house where I store my Z car, didnt touch any of my car parts but stole about $500 in tools. They tried to steal our 3 ton jack but damn thing was to heavy for them to move alone.

yep the thieves love stealing copper. it runs in spurts. when they steal it from the electric co. seems like cops get busy and it all slows down. I hate to even consider leaving home overnight, cause ya never know. got insurance, . but if you turn in a theift loss, they want to accuse YOU and stealing your own stuff, raise your rates, or cancel you ! LOL ya got to love em?

must be why the sherrif figures if ya catch them, don't call him, use your gun and the loader on the tractor, and a lime sinkhole. maybe harsh but I understand they get tired of all this crap! o k so the guns stay loaded.

OK listen up. No scrap yard is supposed to buy a vehicle without entering the Vin # into a ncstate database. That data base does not interface with NCIC.

Calling your local PD or SO. Probably won't help much in this case. But what will is for you to call your local DMV inspector. He has direct access to the system ALL scrapyards in NC have to use. If no Vin is visible on the vehicle then the yard has to call a DMV inspector out before purchasing.

-
Back