Scream'n 318 ?

-
Somebody chose to bolt it to the engine stand right? :)
:lol: It was one that he had If I remember correctly. I have one sitting in the corner of the garage myself. Mine was free and not necessarily ''Chosen".

:lol: It was one that he had If I remember correctly. I have one sitting in the corner of the garage myself. Mine was free and not necessarily ''Chosen".
It ran decent in the truck, and ran low 10's in the 1/8 with a carb stumble out of the hole. I'm sure it could have gone in the 9's in the 1/8.

Just kidding around. Have you decided on parameters for parts and budget? Knowing our "kind" i bet you have some stuff squirreled away to use.
not a specific budget, but "cost-minded" so to speak. We got most of the parts now.

not a specific budget, but "cost-minded" so to speak. We got most of the parts now.
If somebody would come out with a 1.8 compression height cast piston for $250 or so for the 318's we would see a lot more of them built.

KB's are almost 500 bucks now unfortunately.

If somebody would come out with a 1.8 compression height cast piston for $250 or so for the 318's we would see a lot more of them built.

unfortunately it works the opposite. Companies chase the demand. They won't build parts and hope they sell.

I think a 273/318 head at a speedmaster price with smaller valves to fits a 273 bore, a chamber size that makes 9:1 cr on the lowest 318 pistons but also works with a 273 commando pistons, port size/flow to make about 375 hp with 225 ish cam with a 318, over 400 hp with 240+ cam. Be a good head for every 273/318 guy and probably stock low cr piston 360 builds and anyone wants more we already have that.

The $250 difference versus all the other costs of building an engine seems like stepping over doughnuts to pick up dog turds, to quote @Rat Bastid
There's no reason a 318 can't perform well except that people self-impose these ridiculous (IMO) budgetary constraints. I don't get it.
There's merit to doing things on the cheap, don't get me wrong, but money well spent is never a bad thing.
Buy the right pistons then self-port your heads, or hit some swap meets instead of ebay to score an intake.

The $250 difference versus all the other costs of building an engine seems like stepping over doughnuts to pick up dog turds, to quote @Rat Bastid
There's no reason a 318 can't perform well except that people self-impose these ridiculous (IMO) budgetary constraints. I don't get it.
There's merit to doing things on the cheap, don't get me wrong, but money well spent is never a bad thing.
Buy the right pistons then self-port your heads, or hit some swap meets instead of ebay to score an intake.
There is more than one type of build.

Lots seem consumed with best of everything balls to the wall build as the only option. That isn't the only way.

As far as money well spent, I am not sure that includes KB cast pistons for 3 or more times the price of a stock type replacement piston if someone would make one with .050 taller compression height.

BTW I'd love to know where the $250 dog turds are. I'd be very busy with my pooper scooper. :)

I like cheap, I also like some decent pistons. You want the motor to crank something decent, like higher than 150 lbs with cam chosen ,cranking.
Pistons a cost a little more also get a little lighter wait. But I guess cheap wouldn't include a balance which has gotten pretty damn expensive these days.. so I'd say some factors tied to whether you stick to stock Pistons or upgrade like rebalancing, basically ...more money.

There is more than one type of build.

Lots seem consumed with best of everything balls to the wall build as the only option. That isn't the only way.

As far as money well spent, I am not sure that includes KB cast pistons for 3 or more times the price of a stock type replacement piston if someone would make one with .050 taller compression height.

BTW I'd love to know where the $250 dog turds are. I'd be very busy with my pooper scooper. :)

Cast silvolites are $250 dog turds, LOL.

Why not mill the block that .050, and the intake to match. It's a 318 that no one else is gonna spend money on, so might as well make it custom. Besides, a good build is going to start with some machining, so the only additional cost is in milling the intake, right?

I'm not against low cost. But the disconnect is that low cost doesn't come free, it usually means more effort. Often much more. Low buck and low effort almost always nets low output.

Plenty of fast guys are on budgets. Many of them invested savings in tools to make cheap parts into fast parts. Plenty of them also share their findings and methods for free. I'm not saying it's easy to duplicate, but it can definitely be done when the effort is put in. Anyone whinging about expensive parts should be grinding on a set of heads or finding deals on used stuff instead of wishing the world was different.

Speaking of, why stop the wishing at $250 cast pistons? Why not $500 stroker kits? Why not free? Why not just make a law? LOL.

Budget also isn't only about part cost. It's the whole package. Putting more $ into pistons will probably net savings when it comes to gear converter, etc. Goes with that "money well spent" part.

Cast silvolites are $250 dog turds, LOL.

Why not mill the block that .050, and the intake to match. It's a 318 that no one else is gonna spend money on, so might as well make it custom. Besides, a good build is going to start with some machining, so the only additional cost is in milling the intake, right?

I'm not against low cost. But the disconnect is that low cost doesn't come free, it usually means more effort. Often much more. Low buck and low effort almost always nets low output.

Plenty of fast guys are on budgets. Many of them invested savings in tools to make cheap parts into fast parts. Plenty of them also share their findings and methods for free. I'm not saying it's easy to duplicate, but it can definitely be done when the effort is put in. Anyone whinging about expensive parts should be grinding on a set of heads or finding deals on used stuff instead of wishing the world was different.

Speaking of, why stop the wishing at $250 cast pistons? Why not $500 stroker kits? Why not free? Why not just make a law? LOL.

Budget also isn't only about part cost. It's the whole package. Putting more $ into pistons will probably net savings when it comes to gear converter, etc. Goes with that "money well spent" part.
I mentioned it would be nice is some reasonable priced higher compression pistons could be had for a 318. Stock cast stuff is available for $125 a set. Seems reasonable that a set with only the pin height being changed could be had for $250. Sorry if this triggered you somehow.

I am talking about an extreme budget build. Maybe a kid building his first engine, or something that needs to be put together to get buy with until funds for a better build are available.

I fully understand in most cases you get what you pay for. But it isn't always necessary to have the best of everything to get a car back on the road or the track so it can be enjoyed. Lots of stock bottom end magnums out there doing pretty well at both places.

I mentioned it would be nice is some reasonable priced higher compression pistons could be had for a 318. Stock cast stuff is available for $125 a set. Seems reasonable that a set with only the pin height being changed could be had for $250. Sorry if this triggered you somehow.

I am talking about an extreme budget build. Maybe a kid building his first engine, or something that needs to be put together to get buy with until funds for a better build are available.

I fully understand in most cases you get what you pay for. But it isn't always necessary to have the best of everything to get a car back on the road or the track so it can be enjoyed. Lots of stock bottom end magnums out there doing pretty well at both places.

'Extreme budget' is going to leave the shortblock alone. There's no use making a piston with a .050 shifted pin hole when the block can be decked anyway.
"Triggered", LOL. Stay poor.

It has always been amazing to me how so many people LOVE the Chevy 327 but hate the 318. Just a little less than 9 CI differences.

I think the 1968 Camaro with the 327 2bbl made 210 HP, but the same year 68 Barracuda with a 318 2bbl made 230 HP.

Chevy 327 is a 4" bore and 3.25" stroke for 326.73 CI
Mopar 318 is a 3.91" bore and 3.31" stroke for 317.95

It has always been amazing to me how so many people LOVE the Chevy 327 but hate the 318. Just a little more than 9 CI differences.

I think the 1968 Camaro with the 327 2bbl made 210 HP, but the same year 68 Barracuda with a 318 2bbl made 230 HP.

Mopar 318 is a 3.91" bore and 3.31" stroke for 317.5
And the Mopar has over a 6" rod. Ask a Chevy racer about a 6" rod motor. To them it's the greatest invention since sliced bread. Then tell him that even our 273's had a 6 1/8 rod. (actually 6 .123) They will flip!

It has always been amazing to me how so many people LOVE the Chevy 327 but hate the 318. Just a little more than 9 CI differences.

Mopar 318 is a 3.91" bore and 3.31" stroke for 317.5

You're not wrong. There's been a few threads with 'surprising' results for a 318, and the common denominator was always good compression. Get it to 10+ and it can take enough cam to RPM and make good power. The short stroke just makes it tougher to get the squeeze, even with a zero deck setup, but careful choices can be made to get it pretty dang good.

It has always been amazing to me how so many people LOVE the Chevy 327 but hate the 318. Just a little less than 9 CI differences.

One thing Chevy did with the 327 is develop it into a serious performance engine. The L79 made 350 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque. The 318 didn't make more power than a 273-4 barrel.

OF COURSE, I would think it would be common knowledge when I start the build, it will be a new thread. Only thing stopping it presently is the projects in front of it.

Over doing the 318 as far as practical is what I’d like to do to my future 318 build. That’s about as small as a CID engine I’d like to build right now.
OF COURSE, I would think it would be common knowledge when I start the build, it will be a new thread. Only thing stopping it presently is the projects in front of it.
Allllllways is the case!

Last edited:
-
Back