seats - decisions decisions

-

jasonmrenda

Reaction score
new, refurb, different, aftermarket? sheesh

finally fixing all the holes in the floorboards and about to install the new carpet and want to try to do all this only once. prob is trying to decide which way to go.

between the cost of new covers for all 3 seats plus buns plus cost of reupholstering, i am looking at 1k for using the stock seats. this car isnt a full on resto - just a fun daily driver and adding 1k to a car that i only have 4k into seems silly. esp since i'll never really get that money back.

but i like the stock look. its classy and timeless. i dont want something that looks cobbled together. so if ound the procar aftermarket seats for 215 each in white. but i'd still need to do something about my ripped bench seat. so i'd still be up to 600 easy.

than i see a lot of you using non traditional seats and making them llok good. so i found a set similar to these locally:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-O...Q5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_2967wt_1166

can prob get all 3 for 100 or so. in great shape. and i do have a brand new carpet and headliner in black that would work for my car. but that means my stock interior of marron red or whatever it is called will now become black. eventually i will paint the car either silver or black and i think the black interior with white door panels and the maroon accents could be pretty cool.

what do you all think? hard to beat nice (p)leather seats for 100$. i can fab up some seat brackets fairly easily.

hi there, im in same predicament.:read2: i had original half seats in my barracuda years back,they were beyond and they were replaced with some aftermarket crap that ideally belongs in a jap " not fast and bi curious...."sort of rice racer , what was i thinking lol!!! anyhow i love the bucket type with high back<not separate headrest but one piece back>as in some chargers etc but they seem scarce in usa and non existant over here in uk./closest ive seen is porshce 911/944 924 ,yeh i know,it aint mopar :angry7: but has anyone over your way <as they going to be lots available?> stripped em, jiggery pokery with the metalwork/foamwork and had them upholstered? bound to come into some critisism about this ? i dunno, just a thought...:cheers:

Save some money and get the stock covers on the stock seats. They just don't look right with new car seats in them. I think the stock interiors is part of what make driving an old car cool. Anybody can plop their *** down on a set of new car seats. I know its expensive, but I would never think of using new car seats in my old Mopar. I litterally HATE when people do that. YUCK! JMO, in the end do what you want.

i totally agree there man ,ive retrimmed my barracuda doors plain black vinyl,less is more,got new repo carpet, somone over stateside ship me some mopar seats!!! :cheers:

I would also have to agree I really don't like new car seats in an old car it just doesn't look right the old simple interior with ribbed vinyl or plaid inserts looks sooo cool I will definitely be going showroom stock with my interior I don't care Joe much it costs. The interior is half the car and you have 4 k in the rest a thousand wouldn't be that bad. Either way your choice, good luck

dang well all valid points

i was just in there cutting away some of the floorpans for patching and the car underside is not in the greatest shape. not god awful going to kill someone shape, but certainly would need complete overhauling to be even somehat considered "restoration". again i am fine with this as i wanted a daily driver and not some way too expensive ornament.

i am just having a really tough time deciding what to do. i def do not want "new" looking seats in any way. i am thinking that for 100 now i can use my black headliner and carpet - both new, and have a black interior of good quality that "sorta" looks like it matches. drive the car around and save up for the real deal and when i can afford the red carpet, headliner, and white seats do it all then. i figure on prob 1500 or so for all of those.

i am fine with attempting some things on my own and i guess technically i couldnt make the seats any worse than they are if i just tried to do the legendary covers. i think they are also 20% until dec 31.

arghhhhhhhhhh i just cannot decide. i'd much rather do it once and be done then to keep redoing things.

does anyone have any pics of mopars with procar seats? the low back style? those seem to be a good compromise between stock and new.

I like my stock 67 seats but they have no headrests with a low back which means if I got rear ended, my upper spine is toast.

I already have neck problems from getting plowed from behind a few years back so one more shot like that and I'm done for.

I am going with high back racing seats and four point harnesses.

you'll put a ton of money and into stock seats and in the end you'll still have uncomfortable stock seats. do yourself a favor and buy a nice aftermarket set of seats that recline and have good lumbar support. makes all the difference if you actually like to drive your car. i have a lighter back seat in the car then whats in the picture. looks ok. but i'm gonna have it redone in the right color and the pattern to mimik the fronts pattern.

seats050.jpg

never even thought about the safety scenario and that makes a lot of sense. i am really leaning towards either a nice set of aftermarkets that still have a vintage/muscle look to them or the local ones out of the olds. i really like the white interior though. thinks its classy. as much as i wish i could toss 1k into the seats i need the extra cash for other various bits for it. going to see if i can find a jegs/summit coupon or wait for a sale. can keep the stockers and if i ever need to get them redone for "originality" i can. i love the look of them and i understand that the interior will get a ton of attention when all decked out in new skins. just not sure i can pony that up in the near future. i'd rather use it towards a 4 speed!

bloody good point there, i too have lower back probs from 15 years ago on a chop i got hit off, with the greatest of respect you have so many resourses in the usa,ive struggled from day one of my barracuda,little / no knowledge:read2:,not to mention being skint< broke.> a lot ive muddled on, sourced a 8 3/4 rear,fitted a 440,and probobally makes me really appreciate it loads? i love it, its not mint, its not original, however it gets used most days despite over $10 a gallon and the weather ****! hang on in there, enjoy your drive,i wouldnt change my car for anything!! no way:theres a lot of help and inspiration on this site,when my cuda sick or not being used om on here getting ideas and drooling !!! ive just shelled out almost $500 on 1.18 torsion bars/shox and fair bit on bushes,ive recently fitted a hurst 4 speed, the engine/hedders/clutch/flywheel cost a packet , its ongoing.........gotta go well, handle too, body etc comes last, dont want a pretty car that doesnt want to go round bends and we got alot of them here!!!cheers:

A lot of it depends on what your plans are. I plan to race my car so I bought adjustable aftermarket seats that have provisions for running a 5-point harness. I found somebody on craigslist selling them for a deal about a year ago.

you'll put a ton of money and into stock seats and in the end you'll still have uncomfortable stock seats. do yourself a favor and buy a nice aftermarket set of seats that recline and have good lumbar support. makes all the difference if you actually like to drive your car. i have a lighter back seat in the car then whats in the picture. looks ok. but i'm gonna have it redone in the right color and the pattern to mimik the fronts pattern.

seats050.jpg

Those are nice Joe, if you don't mind me asking. What kind of car did they come out of, a Lebaron?

My neighbor scored a really nice black leather set from a junk yard trans am for $50 each, and they have the nice racing style that hugs your sides along with headrests.
I was jealous and tried to buy them from him, but he would not let them go, and they would have been perfect for what I need.

My buddy and I are going to hit a couple junk yards this week if I can get a day off to see if we can find something desirable.

I will bring the camera and snap pics of ANY cool Mopar stuff that may be beneficial to the FABO brotherhood.....LOL.

hoping to pick these up for $100 give or take, they recline and tilt forward, im going to strip, remove bolster on seat and back by shaping the metal frame, im then going to pass them to upholsterer with a picture of some charger / mopar ones,retrimmed in black vinyl { watch this space }, the seats im hoping to buy came from a 924 pors:bootysha:hce....... if i lived in the usa i would DRIVE anywhere for some original mopar, here i have no chance!

924 seats.jpg

You can do what I did but it will cost you. I had to stick with factory but I did not like factory covers so I had a complete set hand made for my car. Set me back $1500 bucks but it was worth it to me. I put over $2000 into this interior. Re-doing interiors is NOT cheap. The smaller items cost more than the larger ones sometimes. Whatever you do, do it right the first time cause its alot of work!!
Chas.

Here is before and after.

005.JPG

new car pics 030.JPG

new car pics 035.JPG

new car pics 046.JPG

new car pics 034.JPG

-
Back