Selling a car seems to be so difficult!!

-
I love the car but you dont think that needs a complete resto that could be why its not selling. It needs rocker panels, quarter panels and door jam work. Whats under the paint ? Who ever buys it is looking at a 10K body shop bill unless they can do the work them selves. Now your at $16,500 invest without fixing anything else.

I think Im one of the few guys that love 73-74 Dart Sorts

I love the car but you dont think that needs a complete resto that could be why its not selling. It needs rocker panels and door jam work. Whats under the paint ? Who ever buys it is looking at a 10K body shop bill unless they can do the work them selves. Now your at $16,500 invest without fixing anything else.

I think Im one of the few guys that love 73-74 Dart Sorts

I totally understand thanks for the information. I plan to take what you guys said and plan a minor winter project and clean it up best i can. Thanks again ALL!!

Were in Westchester are you ? Im right in Danbury CT if I can help you out let me know.

what you are not listening here 74ddsport is that you do not have this car in shape enough to sell for the price you want. You may know what the car is or isnt but no one else does. And you are trying to sell this car on a site where you have a bunch of guys here who knows what the hell they are doing and they know their stuff. When they ask why the fender tag isnt on the car, there is a reason for it. if you had the tag on it and all the parts on it, it would still be hard to sell at that price. the rot says a lot. If it is rotted there I can guarantee it is rotting in places you have not seen yet. I know because I have done a complete resto on my 76 Duster and doing one on a 73 Dart Sport right now.If someone buys a car, they either want a project car for a lot less so they know what they have to work with or they want to have a car that has had all the body work done and can have proof to back it up with. No one wants to pay top dollar for a car like that and then have to tear it all down to do a complete resto. My advise would be to sell it on ebay or craigslist to someone who wants to have a daily driver. I bought this 73 Dart Sport for $350.00. But I knew from the start what it was and I still have found things that I didnt expect. Put it all back together and sell it on craigslist and be happy to get around $5000.00.

Why not keep the car? seems like a nice car and you will end up giving it away with this economy.

If you don't like the front end change it over to an earlier demon/dart front end.

I know of a couple dart sports that are very nice and they can be bought for less than $10K and have been up for sale for a year or more...neither need paint or body work.

If you do want to sell...you need a radio, door panels, horn button, etc... fill in the blanks so to speak.

Also I would clean the back seat and any other interior item that is grubby.

Also try to address the rust spot (or spots)...even just sandblasting out the rust and spraying on some red primer would do wonders. That spot does make me wonder how bad the car is.

Personally I like the car and the look...the red and white combo looks great...add in being a 360 car.

Paul

I have no idea to take your response negative or positive so i will take it neither way.

Seriously you posted on someones thread a useless bunch of words.

The whole reason I obviously wasted 10 minutes writing up a response to your problems is it is put a positive light on slippery slope. You think everyone is attacking you when really their trying to guide you. Sir.

The look at my thread to see whats actually under the paint is useless? The wise advise about selling in this day in age is useless? Why did you bother asking us? Give you a pill and tell you it's ok? Not gonna happen.

You are too prideful to look past your own ideas of what is really going on. Fix that will ya?

15 minutes and counting.

GLWS.

74ddsport, As the owner of a beak car myself and as someone who has purchased in the last 4 years I will give you some quick pointers. I paid $5500 for my original 27k mile slant 6 74 scamp rust free car. All I can say is this, most if not all people know that if you have fiberglass quarters there was some serious rust and there will still be signs of that cancer in the car that weren't fixed properly. Fiberglass quarter patches are for race cars not street cars also. Better pictures and a more realistic price would sell her in a heartbeat.

The car is in lower westchester where it has been for years. Im in upper westchester 10 minutes from stamford CT. Thanks for the offer will keep you posted.

but i live near
Were in Westchester are you ? Im right in Danbury CT if I can help you out let me know.

I look at the car from a buyer seller as I have my own business selling old Mopar Cars on the side. What I see and this is from my opinion only is that it does not have an Identity.

It is a smog era car that has a pretty motor that looks like it may have been fixed up some so it is leaving the stock era to custom era.

If you list it as a numbers matching car then the purist will be more into it until they see the motor area and the add on gauges inside. I would have to agree with ABODYJOE that the price is to high. Down here that car would be hard ot fetch 2500 for it.

You have to market to the right area.. Rust like that on that car is a huge red flag to the area of the nation that does not have rust issues.. So keeping that car list far North is the best area to look at selling it. Try CL in areas that are heavy snow areas..

Good Luck with your sale and I hope you get what you want for it but I think it needs to have an Identity of Slightly Custom car and maybe say it is a factory v8 car... I would not put the numbers matching thing out there first...

$2000-$2500 is what I was thinking if its got the fender tag and build sheet. I think when the market comes around (and yes the market is still low especially from a buyers point) these 73-76 cars will start to be more popular then they have been and the tag and build sheet is going to be important.

Some parts are missing, Intake, carb, air cleaner. They seem minor but if someone is looking for a 360 car to restore theres $300-$400 worth of parts they need to find.

I am not too far from you, so I know that a car like that is pretty solid for NY state. I would definitely agree with abodyjoe's post, but in a nicer way. Definitely don't give it away, but as stated above the price is starting a little high. I have found that I think that car is worth more when I own it, but less when someone else does.
If I had your car, I would want at least $5K price on it to sell. But, if I was looking, I would want to buy one in the same condition for around the $3K price range due to the amount of work it needs to be perfect.
Be patient, maybe do some of the little things that matter but are cheap to do, and run it down to Carlisle in July to sell. Also, as another option, list the car on craigslist around february, March, and April as many will be looking when Tax returns come back. I find in NY, thats when many want to spend money and buy a car like that. Also prices are a little higher around that time.
Good luck

If you just walk by the car, at first glance it looks beautiful. Worth every penny of the $6500. Once you start looking at the rust and all that, the price drops considerably. Especially for a beak car.

Think about what your bottom dollar would be for the car and then price it $500-1000 more than that. Lets say you had it up for $6500 obo but in your mind you would take $4500. If I was willing to pay the $4500, I'd offer it up and you might say lets meet in the middle at $5500. In order for me to pay $4500, I'd have to make an insulting initial offer of $3500 and then we'd haggle until we stopped at my top dollar and your bottom dollar. A lot of guys aren't going to insult you with an offer of 50% of your asking price.

I paid $4000 for this but its a 318 car. No rot any were. 95% original everything other then the exhaust and some small stuff.

Attachments

• 31.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 233
  • 41.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 231
For what it's worth, when I read your ad the first thing that popped into my head was the fact that it hasn't been on the road or driven for at least the past several years. You mentioned the trans was rebuilt "several years ago, and doesn't have 100 miles on it". To me, thats not a good thing. If I were looking to purchase a car in the price range you desire, I would want it road ready, knowing that the seals in the trans aren't dry rotted and going to give out in a couple hundred miles. It seem to me by your description that it has not been driven much over the past 25 years, and with the amount of things that need corrected, replaced, or repaired, your price is too high for a project car that has not been driven a lot lately, if at all.

Details... people that are looking to buy cars right now like clean, crisp and road ready!! When things like the horn button, radio, door panels and such are missing, it makes the car seem like a pieced together car, even if it's not. They can't see past that to what should be your biggest selling point...that it is a rare car and is worthy of a restoration. No mention in your ad of how many 360 automatic Dart Sports were made, and no documentation to back up the fact that it is even a real 360 car!!

If you want to demand the big bucks, you need to have a description that relies on this cars credentials, and after 25 years of ownership, you should have been taking advantage of your time with it to fill in the gaps. Put the seatbelts back in, find a radio, horn button and door panels. Yes, you'll have to spend money to find them just to sell, but if you had spent a few $$ here and there over the years to fill the holes, it would not be such a big hit on your $$ now.

When I read an ad that states how much has recently been replaced, I don't say good, one less thing, I tend to say that it needed to be replaced to make it what it is right now!! Oil just changed?? Great, but how long was the old oil in there, and should I have to pay extra when it probably needed an oil change anyway?? Get my point? You would have to reduce the price had it not been done, but usually doesn't happen the other way around with maintenance items!!

I hope you sell the car if that is your intention, and maybe a little time as your project over the winter to correct some things will help with the sale, maybe come spring at the latest, but I too agree that you have to be patient and stay in it for the long haul!! Geof

Just another example. Another member has a 73 Dart Sport 340 in TB3 Super blue, white interior. Non original motor but its the correct year 340. He has all the big parts, all the correct # parts for it. It needs a patch in 1 quarter panel. $4500obo takes it.

Yes it needs a lot of small stuff but once someone starts working on your it will need the same stuff.

My suggestion is to start by lowering your price a few thousand or better yet, keep it and restore it for yourself.

Well;You asked here and now you know why a bunch of people go to E bay/craigslist/racing junk etc.You are going into winter which makes it even worse,my advice would be keep it and do some work on the interior.Spring will be a lot better for selling than fall.Good luck with the sale.

Stick it on eBay with no reserve and see what the market says its worth. In all honesty I'd be surprised if ya got more then $2000 for it. Hell I wouldn't even give ya that for it just because all the stuff it needs.

He asked for opinions. Thats my opinion as well as others. The car has shiny paint but needs lots of work.

**360 V8 Automatic with 72k Original miles and Number matching!!** I am talking a numbers matching car as you mentioned here so here it is straight up and most have been mentioned before. Beak nose car is the worst problem, rust, fiberglass quarters, no radio, missing door panels, missing radio, wrong steering wheel, drilled holes in console for tach, aftermarket gauges, filthy seats, no mention of what rear end or if it is a Sure Grip, one single picture of the under carriage that shows very little, no pictures of inside the trunk, looks like a Starsky and Hutch Gran Torino with the red and the single stripe (I know it is different but it does remind me of a Ford), air cleaner, valve covers, dual hood scoops doesn't look good on a beak nose car in my opinion, between the rust in the paint on the rocker is clearly bondo and you can see the spots in front of that area that wasn't finished correctly because there are still gouges under the paint, nearly everything is spray painted black on the fire wall including the wiper motor as well as the fan motor and black overspray on the cowl .

I would advertise it with having the original drive train so stay out of the purist ripping it apart game, It appears that the work done on the rocker was substandard so that would make me question the rest of the body since my total knowledge of this car is coming off the internet. The spray paint on everything under the hood points to more poor quality work.

You have ran it at least twice on eBay with one ending bid of $4800 with 12 bids and the second time the bid ended at $3600 with 2 bids. In my opinion it brought every dime it was worth and then some on the first auction. It would never bring that around here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodg...5?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item232254623b#v4-41

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodg...9284061?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2322e4eedd

Your car does have some great features. I needs all of its parts in my opinion.

Here is a comparable 1974 Dodge Dart Sport 360 that sold for $4500 but it has no console, bucket seats or stripe.

"The production sheet is among the documentation along with the original owner’s manual. The production sheet shows this car having the high performance 360 engine, special handling suspension, plus California emissions. This car also has factory A/C, power steering, power brakes, rear window defroster, and original AM/FM radio with one front speaker and one rear speaker. There were only 3951 high performance Dart Sport 360s made in 1974. The car runs well."

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodg...5922141?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3f1a67605d

You can make your car nicer and do some really good photos of the car. You might get lucky and hit on a good buyer.

I am in no way trying to beat you up on this car and I am just sharing what you asked for. Now that this has been said I will add I learned this stuff the hard way and have spent mega dollars buying parts to correct my car.

Attachments

• 73-74_Roof_Upper.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 209
Rust repair equals big money thats just the way it is, its a fine car but someone who is willing to part with 6 large has bigger plans and they understand what it will take to make it what they want. Be patient and a little flexible and it will sell. Restorations are expensive, bye the time that sport nickles and dimes someone to completion they will have 20k-30k into it easy.

Geeze, give an opinion, but don't insult the guy saying you wouldn't even pay $2000 for the car.

It's my honest opinion. I dont beat around the bush. I wouldnt want someone sugar coating their opinion on somethin im asking so i dont do it to others. I want and give honest opinions. It needs way too much for what the car is. You can find a lot cleaner cars for the money.

Stick it on eBay with no reserve and see who is right. I just don't see anything worth over 2k in his ad. Just the fiberglass quarter panels alone would make run from the car, now look at the rest. Needs a complete int, wood grain on the dash is trashed, crappy steering wheel etc... Etc...etc. now look at the rust. Crappy looking engine bay and a beak car on top of it. Too many things against it in my opinion.

Not for nothing but the guys on this site seem to really over value cars when some asks a wiw.

Hey man I hope for the sellers sake he can get top dollar for it. But in reality I just don't see it. WY too many nicer more complete cars out there for the money.

Painted black under the hood,wiring under the dash looks like a mess,and the rocker rust is going to hurt the price..

-
Back