Selling on ebay

-

needsaresto

Reaction score
No offence to anyone here,but Im thinking some of my items may sell faster on ebay.

Anyone have advise? What sort of fee's etc am I going to be hit with? Im already verified at paypal so no issues there.

They will hit you with fees for the fees lol. I have noticed that alot of the pricing that was on Ebay has fallen off to about 1/2 of what it was since it is flooded with parts now.

Go for it, I sell alot of stuff on ebay, most of which I usually offer up here on FABO first, if it don't get much interest then ebay it goes. I know alot of members here don't like ebay but it works for me, a bigger audience helps to sell stuff faster too.

I rarely sell there anymore. The fees, the jerks, non-paying bidders.....even though there's more exposure, I noticed the prices people are getting for their parts isn't that great. Flooding with parts, exactly.

Hmm,doesnt sound worthwhile. 18% is equal to cc fees for some. Sounds like ebay might cut it's own throat!

I could try it once just to see for myself. That might be good to do with some heads I have. They are very reasonably priced,but no takers here so far.

actually i dont think there are fees not sure but i have sold 5 things recently and no fees at all, its paypal that takes fees that sucks

You'll more than likely make more $$$ selling it on ebay if it's good quality stuff.

I have been listing stuff here first and then fee-bay. I have had some good response here with out being fee'd to death. FABO Rocks! :supz:

It's a sign of the times. Lots of people are cleaning out their garages and sheds selling stuff. That floods the market and lowers the prices. I'm not crazy about the fact that you have to offer Paypal as an option for payment, but I don't think eBay's fees themselves are too high. I get emails from them all the time saying list 5 things for a penny each (fees).

You can always try Craigslist. It's local and no fees. If you sell something, you usually complete the transaction within days. You still get the tire kickers and wack jobs though, so I usually list things anonymously so they have to reply to CL rather than giving out my number or email address.

You'll more than likely make more $$$ selling it on ebay if it's good quality stuff.

Wait for the bill to arrive. Or you check it yourself by going to your account. Wait until you see the 18% of the final value fee and the insertion fee. E-bay just isn't worth it anymore. I post my stuff on forums and craigslist.

Riddler

Ive had good luck on ebay till recently. I listed to guitars with a buy it now of about $400 each. They had about 20 bids each but bidding stopped at $150 so they didnt reach reserve.

Common sense would tell you if the buy it now id $400 the reserve is going to be close. Why people bid $10 or $20 is beyond me. It cost me $26 to list 4 auctions.

In the past Ive sold 3 cars because of ebay, but not actually on it.

Hmm,doesnt sound worthwhile. 18% is equal to cc fees for some. Sounds like ebay might cut it's own throat!

greedbay had cut it's own throat several years ago. I use to sell on there all the time till they imposed new guidelines back in 07. When they made it where the seller couldn't leave bad feedback for any buyer once the item was paid for no matter the circumstances, I quit. They left it wide open for feedback extortion which is against greedbay rules but they do nothing about it.

That is true, but only if it is "quality" stuff. This brings out the high bidders that usually out bid the low life's that do credit card charge backs and feedback extortion and the ones that think it's Walmart and want to return everything at your expense because they got buyers remorse.

actually i dont think there are fees not sure but i have sold 5 things recently and no fees at all, its paypal that takes fees that sucks

There are fee's, take a close look at your bank account. They bill you on a monthly basis. You can also look at your billing status on greedbay.

i have, they tell you the fees right before you sell, its not my first time selling..and there were no fees. Maybe i found a way to do it for free

. . . I'm not crazy about the fact that you have to offer Paypal as an option for payment, but I don't think eBay's fees themselves are too high. I get emails from them all the time saying list 5 things for a penny each (fees).

Although PayPal is the primary method of payment (so those fees can be charged), I've seen (and used) wording mentioning if no PayPal, other methods of payment are available (like USPS Money Orders or cash with a personal pickup). Thought I read somewhere on their site that for high dollar stuff (like cars), PayPal is not required.

It cost to list any item, price varies on starting price/buy it now and reserves. Once item sells you are charge a final value fee, could be as high as 8%. If item doesn't sell you can relist and if it sells the second time you dont get charge the second listing fee, if it doesn't sell you are still charged.
They also have a five free listings every 30 days deal but they jack you more on the final value fee's, 8%.

I sell stuff on ebay and often I've offered it here first, typically the response on eBay is much better. You should plan on approximately 10% to 15% to go to selling feesincluding hte PayPal fees.

A lot of items I've sold I don't really know what they are worth, so eBay is a good way to sell items at a "fair market value". I don't really mind selling something to someone on this board that's a really good deal because there is a lot of good info here, but I can't afford to give stuff away.

I think the key to selling something on eBay is first really good pictures, either take them in daylight or get some good photographic lights and second be honest with the description - I sell everything "as is" but try to have a really good description.

Being organized helps too, a lot of people pay with PayPal immediately and you'll need to be ready to ship your stuff promptly. I do not list it on eBay unless I already have a box to package it in, I'm often shipping items with-in 24 hours of the auction ending.

Some of the larger car parts I will list on Craigslsit. For me the big advantage is not having to ship it but I think it's also good that someone can see the item in person. I usually have the item outside or in the garage so I don't need to let them inside and of course I never take a check.

Good luck.

I was in the same spot regarding ebay. It does work, and at the end of the day, I had money I would not have had otherwise.

Fees are high, but you can list 5 items for free I think. I was also told by a serious ebay guy that you get nailed hard on fees if you have a reserve. I did not know that.

He says you just put a starting bid at whatever price you need and then let things fall where they may.

Also, I only sell things that I really don't need.

It works, even though it is not perfect. I am still at it, and it does work.

ROB

your gointo hell if you sell on ebay than here! LOL JUST KIDDING ebay is ok i have sold one thing on there and that was it and i only gave ebay like 4 bucks for the listing cause the guyshipped me a money order thats how i do thing money order or cashiers check i cant be bothered with that paypal crap

oh and the best part at the end of the month ebay sends you a bill for your fees and all the tak ons ebay decided to throw in on your bill i posted like 6 items for a total of 20 somthin dollars and i got a bill for 31 that i got pissed at and never paid it

Ebay charges extra for buy it now and also for a reserve price. There is a listing fee (based on the starting price) and they charge extra for different features. All that said, it is a larger audience and if it doesn't sell the first time, you can relist for free.

bottom line is, you want your stuff gone, whether it is here, ebay, or craigslist, oh well....

My test subject for ebay will be a pair of rebuilt magnum truch heads. They have been crack checked,resurfaced,new stock springs,new seals,freeze plugs,3 angle valve job. They come with stock magnum valve covers and a mopar performance porting template kit. Mopar no longer makes the template kit and it has never been used. I took it out of the bag and thats as far as I got,as the project vehicle got sold (my old 1983 Plymouth Caravelle cop car).

Im going to list them tonight and will lwet you all know how it goes. These heads have been listed here,moparts,craigslist,etc...

The deal breaker almost always seems to be shipping.

-
Back