Selling parts and lack of manners.

-
No consideration given to window shoppers, tire kickers, wife permision hafta havers, left my wallet at homers, can you give me a better dealers, and give me your address and I'll swing by sometimers.

I sell stuff on CL all the time and learned the hard way. The first thing I say to them when they start asking me questions is are you interested or are you shopping around and do you have cash cause I don't take checks. Sure I may come off as gruff or grouchy but 90% of the time it weeds out the above mentioned people. By letting them know I don't like to waste my time and I'm not in the mood for b.s. I almost always sell to the first person that comes out to look.

When it comes time for me to buy I make sure I always have the right amount of cash on me and I'm cleared by my family for spending.

Simple way to not get butt hurt on the sale or the purchase.

What is this "check with the wife mentality?" That doesn't have a think to do with weather I buy or not! I would think most on here don't have to check with the wife? Often the determining factor for me is SHIPPING COST! Or maybe a few more details. Shipping cost and the fact that some sellers "feel" it is OK to charge for their time, labor and gas to the shipper is OK. That is fine,I just want to know the cost, then I'll pull the trigger. Or would you prefer I tell the seller,yes I'll take it and then write back and say "OH no the shipping is to much, i don't want it now."
The reason no consideration is given from either side is because we sit behind a monitor and don't have to face each other mam to man. Ok this is my last comment on this subject.

3 stories come to mind because unfortunately things happen.

First was on here. A guy was selling a carb, we exchange a few PMs and I clearly stated "I will buy this carb." He writes back about an hour later asking if I was still interested. I was at work so when I got off I wrote him saying yes. He writes back and says "sorry you didn't respond to my message so I figured you didn't want it anymore and sold it" That was frustrating.

Recently on eBay I tried to buy some stuff from FBO Systems. I put in my bid, didn't hit reserve because I was the only one who bid. Don sends me a second chance offer. I accept it. He writes me an email saying "Didn't you read the email I sent. I said Im only selling this for $XX. Im not giving my stuff away. Im refunding your money." I write back and said "I was given a second chance offer at my bid so I accepted it." He says "Oh well I put a message in their, sometimes eBay erases parts of messages" HUH? Really, the worldwide auction company sometimes erases parts of messages? Really?

Last night I was going to buy a motor and hoist. I told the guy I was heading up (about a 30 min drive) and leaving in about 10 min. I go to the bank, put gas in the truck, shove some Wendys down my throat and he text me are you on your way? I said yes, about 30 min. Then I text back closer to 45 min, I got held up, as Im driving up the freeway. He writes back "sorry, I already have someone else on their way" Seriously dude? That's how business is done these days?

When I was selling parts for my dad on a mustang forum I got about 10 emails saying I'm interested. I answered questions and never heard back. THATS rude, not selling to the first person with cash. I think what's going on here is that you have a lot of people that are afraid to pull the trigger and send out a message of interest on every thing they are literally interested in. The terms been watered down by window shoppers so when people seriously are interested in a part it is kicked to the curb in favor of the person with the cash in hand.
You may find it rude but it's a "product of the forum"...I know i will get ripped for using that term but that's exactly what it is.

In summation of all the issues/positions brought forth in this thread, An old friend of mine had a favorite saying about buying or selling and it fits perfectly here.

"Money Talks and Bull **** Walks"

Yep, being interested could mean a lot of different things.

My top ten list

1. I'm interested if my wife says it's OK.
2. I'm interested if you pay shipping
3. I'm interested if you will take payments.
4. I'm interested if it fits my car.
5. I'm interested if makes my car faster
6. I'm interested if no one else is.
7. I'm interested if I get my tax refund.
8. I'm interested if I sell my car.
9. I'm interested at a lower price.
10. I'm interested if I get my raise at work.

When someone says I'm interested. This ^^^^^ is what I think.

Like others I have bought and sold a few parts here with no problems. I have also lost out on some good deals by my own hesitations or expressing a casual interest in a part I may not of really needed. I don't hold it against anybody but myself and figure there was a reason I didn't get the part. Sometimes it's just not meant to be.

Being in a checkout line at a store is not the same. People in line aren't getting up to the cashier and then asking questions to decide if they want to make the purchase or not and they are not calling their spouses to see if it's OK to buy that bag of groceries. They are already committed to the purchase before they even get in line.

With online auctions, ya snooze, ya lose...simple.
I don't see how you can get "screwed" out of anything if you haven't even paid for it.

When selling I will "hold" something as "sold pending" until I get an other offer. Then guy one gets a short chance to put up or shut up.

When buying I decide right away or offer a guy a few (non-refundable) bucks to hold something for a few days.

if you tell me your interested and the next guy says he will take it... it's sold to many folks are interested and that don't pay the bills

When selling you have to have deadlines. I still have a part here, boxed up, ready to go waiting on payment FROM 2007! That's to remind me how to do deals/sell parts. Even if the buyer doesn't have paypal to pay right now, the MO people get a couple days to finish up. If it's not in hand by x date, sorry, moving on.

I prefer to take request as they arrive, first in gets first shot. Some just sell to who they want without regard to who messaged or pm'd first. It's like a swap meet, but it's not. I know that some people don't want others to know what they are buying, so the pm sent thing in the thread may not work well. Personally, I hate the direction the ad section has taken. No transparency.

If someone tells me that you have to check with someone else to see if it's OK and I have another buyer that wants an invoice/paypal address to pay, you're not likely to get the chance, even if you are first in line. I've told others that I have a first in line getting back and they are next up. Next up gets notified and doesn't want it because they had to wait 24-48 hours. Like everywhere, some get more latitude than others when it comes to buying. There are couple here that I'll hold parts for without time limits, they are VERY few. Others that I've held items for that didn't pay, they don't get a second bite at the apple.

Last night I was going to buy a motor and hoist. I told the guy I was heading up (about a 30 min drive) and leaving in about 10 min. I go to the bank, put gas in the truck, shove some Wendys down my throat and he text me are you on your way? I said yes, about 30 min. Then I text back closer to 45 min, I got held up, as Im driving up the freeway. He writes back "sorry, I already have someone else on their way" Seriously dude? That's how business is done these days?

I had that happen, pre cell phone days, only I was at the guys house after driving 2 hours when he let me know that someone else was coming and had first shot. I had tried to get up to the guys house for 2 days, but work, his schedule and weather were not being kind so Saturday it was. Guy that showed up was a long time family friend and customer of mine. He looked at the parts and bought them even after knowing the situation. I suggested he think about what he was going to do. My grandfather was pissed. Needless to say, I cut him off from product for 3-4 weeks and then increased the price of the component we supplied for his item by 300%. I made tons more off the pricing than I would have off the parts he snaked. Karma has a strange way of making things right sometimes.

The OP started this conversation with the term "common courtesy", so I guess we are discussing etiquette and manners. In the old days that basically meant to be polite and treat everybody with the same respect that you would want for yourself.

I was raised to open doors for ladies. Wherever I am, if there's a lady about to enter or leave the building, I will stop what I'm doing and hold the door for her. If it's a crowded building, I might hold the door for a few moments before another guy behind me takes the position for me. It's "common courtesy" and I do it instinctively. But this post got me to thinking:

What would I do if some woman was to stop before I had a chance to open the door and yell at me:

"HEY! Aren't you going to GET THE DOOR FOR ME??? I'm a LADY!!! What happened to COMMON COURTESY???"

I believe that I would probably ignore all the etiquette that I was taught and suggest that she go F#*k herself!

My point is that courtesy should be APPRECIATED, not DEMANDED. No one owes you any special consideration. If you get it, be happy that you did and remember to deal with that person again.

I had three people ask for shipping charges last month and then never answer back. None of those people bought the part and the parts are all sold. Should I REALLY send a PM a week later when there's a buyer wanting to Paypal me the money now??

Many items on here go very cheap. If you are INTERESTED, BUY IT. When I see something I want, my PM says:
"I want to buy this item now! Please tell me where to send payment or the Paypal address."

IF a person says that to me, I won't sell it to another person without answering his PM. If I don't hear from you in a couple of days, you can't be upset with me that it's gone.

I agree with the other sellers who said that the message "I'm interested" too often does not mean "I WANT TO BUY IT!"

If your on the hunt for parts....keep money ready in PayPal for that item.This way you can pull the trigger right of way.JMO

I believe that I would probably ignore all the etiquette that I was taught and suggest that she go F#*k herself!
Now that is some funny **** right there. I agree 100% with.

How do you deal with the reply to an ad that states 'How much with shipping to 33565"? This is my reply when i want to buy the part but want to make your the shipping is reasonable.
I guess I'm different, I buy and sell on here about the same amount. I just sold a pair of large ball joint UCA's to a member here that had to put the money in his Pay Pal acct. and it took 4-5 days. I told him no problem. And the deal was done, I just shipped them. But in all fairness to others, I don't need the money to pay bills. I just like buying and selling Mopar junk!

"quote"
When selling you have to have deadlines. I still have a part here, boxed up, ready to go waiting on payment FROM 2007! That's to remind me how to do deals/sell parts. Even if the buyer doesn't have paypal to pay right now, the MO people get a couple days to finish up. If it's not in hand by x date, sorry, moving on
I have a whole area up in the rafters of my garage filled with boxed up parts that people said they wanted and didn't follow thru:banghead:
I have been scrapping a lot of stuff as I get paid cash on the spot:glasses7:

the op started this conversation with the term "common courtesy", so i guess we are discussing etiquette and manners. In the old days that basically meant to be polite and treat everybody with the same respect that you would want for yourself.

I was raised to open doors for ladies. Wherever i am, if there's a lady about to enter or leave the building, i will stop what i'm doing and hold the door for her. If it's a crowded building, i might hold the door for a few moments before another guy behind me takes the position for me. It's "common courtesy" and i do it instinctively. But this post got me to thinking:

what would i do if some woman was to stop before i had a chance to open the door and yell at me:

"hey! Aren't you going to get the door for me??? I'm a lady!!! What happened to common courtesy???"

i believe that i would probably ignore all the etiquette that i was taught and suggest that she go f#*k herself!

My point is that courtesy should be appreciated, not demanded. No one owes you any special consideration. If you get it, be happy that you did and remember to deal with that person again.

I had three people ask for shipping charges last month and then never answer back. None of those people bought the part and the parts are all sold. Should i really send a pm a week later when there's a buyer wanting to paypal me the money now??

Many items on here go very cheap. If you are interested, buy it. When i see something i want, my pm says:
"i want to buy this item now! Please tell me where to send payment or the paypal address."

if a person says that to me, i won't sell it to another person without answering his pm. If i don't hear from you in a couple of days, you can't be upset with me that it's gone.

I agree with the other sellers who said that the message "i'm interested" too often does not mean "i want to buy it!"

+1

I have bought lots of stuff here with no problems. Ever. And I don't have to ask permission from any family members to see if it is okay, and I always have the funds available to make the purchase! BUT... Without a picture of the item, it's a little difficult to pull the trigger on a purchase, unless the seller has given a detailed description. Pictures and a good description will eliminate a lot of delays! :banghead:

-
Back